koenigsegg regara, 15000 hp, no gearbox!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, four more episodes of Top Gear UK in this series, I figure it'll be on one of them.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So, four more episodes of Top Gear UK in this series, I figure it'll be on one of them.
wink.gif

I would be surprised. They have all been shot already and this is just now news. I'd expect it on the next series.

(Slight technical correction: It definitely has a gearbox -- just not one with multiple speeds.)

I think this is the most interesting powertrain concept in a long time. It's definitely one of the VERY few things that has legitimately moved the supercar game on. It's a quantum leap ahead of what Porsche, McLaren, and Ferrari have been doing with their halo cars.

Still awaiting a full technical explanation, but here's what I've gathered. Basically, the combustion engine is permanently in whatever gearing would get the car to 248 MPH at redline. That's obviously way too tall for low speeds, which is why it's connected via a viscous clutch -- it can act as a generator and assist the electic motors, which will do most of the work until the car is going fast enough for the engine to take over. So, you get electric torque at low speeds, and combustion engine power at high speeds.

Plus, the fact that each rear wheel has its own motor means that the car can do some neat things with torque vectoring. If Koenigsegg did their homework, it could be a step ahead of a traditional limited-slip or torque-biasing diff.

Really interested to see how this pans out in practice.

It says the prius has no transmission, that's not true, it has an IVT.

NVM, it has a PST which is still a transmission. It's a CVT with a fixed ratio pretty much.

Last edited:
I read elsewhere that this thing goes from 0 to somewhere around 240-250 mph in around 20 seconds.

I can't wrap my head around that.

Originally Posted By: horse123
It says the prius has no transmission, that's not true, it has an IVT.

NVM, it has a PST which is still a transmission. It's a CVT with a fixed ratio pretty much.

The Prius has a planetary transmission, not an IVT or CVT.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I read elsewhere that this thing goes from 0 to somewhere around 240-250 mph in around 20 seconds.

I can't wrap my head around that.

A fairly empty passenger jet must be pretty close to this I think. Probably a bit slower initial acceleration but maybe goes from 100 to 200mph quicker than most super cars?
I'm sure there must be some runways in the mountains that have a jet going WO for quite a while.
Also I imagine sky diving would be pretty similar performance as well, but I haven't tried that.
http://jalopnik.com/how-fast-is-a-passenger-jet-in-extreme-conditions-458742158

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Quote:
It goes from 93 MPH to 155 MPH in 3.2 seconds.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally getting "up on the cam"
laugh.gif

Meh I'd still rather have a Pagani, who cares about speed you can never use, I'd rather pay for entertainment and style.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Meh I'd still rather have a Pagani, who cares about speed you can never use, I'd rather pay for entertainment and style.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back