Leak stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 V-6 Merc Mariner has an oil leak at the interface between the block and the girdle above the oil pan. (Professional wrench has confirmed that is the source, and this is not unheard-of with this engine.) Due to the location, the fact that it is fairly minor, and that repair is prohibitively expensive, it will not be fixed, however the drip lands on the exhaust header pipe, so the burning-oil smell is present about any time the car is driven.

Question is, since the gasket is a silicone composition, is there any known leak-stop that could be added to the oil that would actually work? Most only are intended for rear seals, which are not generally silicone.

Thanks!

Try some Valvoline Maxlife first to see if that slows it down before adding any magic elixirs.

I wouldn't try one. Maybe fabricate some sort of shield to route the oil around the exhaust pipe.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I wouldn't try one. Maybe fabricate some sort of shield to route the oil around the exhaust pipe.

That's a reasonable suggestion, and I had thought about that. The downside is the mess is still there on the engine. For me that's almost worse than the smell!

Thanks for all the replies.

i always had very good lock with pennzoil high mileage i use it in the summer only because it is a little on the thick side but i have seen it work very well

Originally Posted By: Trav
The problem with silicone is once it has lost the seal anything you try might deteriorate the silicone even further.

After the engine has been sitting overnight I would clean the area very well with brake cleaner and a scotch brite pad then rinse with brake cleaner spray again. It cant be too clean!
Then use this on the entire seam.

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/produ...k-repair-detail

That's brilliant! I bet a saturn s-series timing cover would take 3-4 cans.
wink.gif

I actually have a fix for you. Used to work at a used car dealer and every stupid Lincoln LS that came in with that engine dumped oil out of everywhere. There is a Permatex brand spray stop leak product that you can use. It is in a small can sort of like the little cans of battery terminal cleaner. I tried to find it on the web for you and I think they may have changed the look of the can since I can't find it. I did find a Permatex spray stop leak though so you can give that a shot, it should be it. The key to it is that the part of the motor you are treating has to be accessible (it does come with a spray tube for tighter places). You have to make the area absolutely spotless and de-greased totally. It is sort of like a spray epoxy and when dry will look like you sprayed it with Polyurethane. If cleaned well and sprayed properly in layers 15 minutes apart IIRC it did stop major leaks and keep then under control on many cars that I applied it to. If you just have a minor leak I am almost sure it will solve your problem. You just have to be careful if you ever try to re-coat again in the future because cleaning agents such as brake cleaner do remove the previously applied sealant and you have to clean it all off and start over. Best to make sure you do a really good job the first time so you don't have to go back and do it again. Hope this helps you out and you can find it locally. I had success with engines that were seriously dumping oil out the seams in the pans different layers.

Trav beat me to it lol

Last edited:
I have used the Permatex spray and if anything will work out of a can, the Permatex will .

Thanks to all for the suggestions, especially Trav and 71Chevyguy. I will just have to look again at the accessibility of the seam to see if I can actually apply this product. Looks like a great solution if I can get to it.

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back