Consequences of overfilling Ford AX4N after flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there -

Yesterday, I performed my first trans flush and pan drop on my 2005 Ford Taurus SEL - 3.0 Duratec V6 with AX4N trans. For some background, here are the steps I performed.

- Disconnected trans cooler return line, added extra tubing and clamped it to side of a big bucket.
- Started car. About 3 qts of old fluid came out into bucket before sputtering with air bubbles. Shut off car immediately.
- Dropped pan. Got about another 5 qts of old fluid.
- Thoroughly cleaned pan, gasket and magnet. Removed old filter and installed identical new OEM Motorcraft one. Reinstalled pan.
- Added 4 qts of Valv MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF (http://www.valvoline.com/products/consum...ission-fluid/37) via fill/dipstick hole.
- Restarted car. Took about 15 seconds for new fluid to come out of cooler line before sputtering. Fluid looked and smelled exactly like new fluid. Shut off car.
- Reattached cooler line. Added between 9-10 qts of same Valv ML ATF -- which I realize now is more than I drained. Guess I got carried away or lost track.

1wvgtVt.jpg

Here is a pic of my ATF dipstick. Hard to see but the fluid line comes almost all the way up to the twist in the stick. I'm guessing that's too high but not sure.

So my questions are:
a) did I indeed put too much new fluid in?
b) if so, what are the consequences of this overfilling? I did a short (8 mi) test drive and it ran and shifted fine.

Any input, advice, scolding or whatever would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you get this level, with the engine running, then you have to dump a quart out, or you gonna get a lotta bubbles.

If it's that far above the crosshatches, I'd pump some out. You may not have to pump much out though. It only takes a little fluid to make a big change on the dipstick with most transmissions. It's probably not as extremely overfilled as the dipstick seems to indicate.

I doubt you did any real harm, but I would get it closer to the crosshatches.

I've always been under the impression that you really don't want to overfill your transmission. I've never heard of it causing immediate damage, so you should be alright. But I've heard of the extra fluid causing excess pressure on seals and affecting the transmission as well.

Get a pump and take out the excess through the fill hole and you should be alright.

Wrong transmission fluid. It should be Mercon V only. If it is very over filled it will puke it out of the vent. Which is on top of the transmission. I keep mine at the correct level and use only Mercon V.

I have specific experience with this matter so I can give you real world advice. I overfilled by 99 Taurus with the same transmission and it drove great for a long time, until I took a nice long highway cruise in the summer.... It puked ATF everywhere through the ATX vent directly onto the exhaust.

I thought I had sprung a leak until I finally figured it out.

I can tell you this.. The transmission is self leveling when you over fill it, now it's perfectly full lol.

As far as other transmissions go, I have heard of one instance with a GM style transmission in one of their suvs that would overheat greatly if overfilled. So everything varies by application.

I would get the fluid evacuation pump and get it right before you get tranny fluid on your exhaust.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Wrong transmission fluid. It should be Mercon V only. If it is very over filled it will puke it out of the vent. Which is on top of the transmission. I keep mine at the correct level and use only Mercon V.

They'll have bad shudder on anything but Mercon V ...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

On the Valvoline FAQ page, it says:

Is MaxLife ATF OK to use in applications requiring Mercon-V fluid?
Yes. MaxLife Dex/Merc automatic transmission fluid meets the Mercon V* specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back