Friction Modifier needed if track lock defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
the track lock in my Dana 44A rear axle seems to be gone/not working anymore.
Do I still need to fill the Friction Modifier in there?
Thanks and kind regards.

I probably would at least use a gear oil with LS additives.

Even if it is failed due to bad/weak springs omitting the friction modifier could still cause the plates to stick after extended mostly straight line (freeway type) use.

(That is if it is actually a clutch type limited slip - not sure what is in a Jeep Dana 44)

The LS additive does nothing but allow the clutch plates to slip a little during tight radius turning to prevent "chattering" It is not necessary and without it you can actually get better performance out of your clutch type differential for off road performance. I have a perfectly functioning, fully rebuilt sterling 9.75" rear in my F150 and I use NO LS additives and have never had a single issue with my ford trac-loc diff.

Rebuild the trac-lok and you'll get the performance back. The clutch plates and/or spring are worn and limited slip additive won't do anything but quiet a chattering rear end, which you don't have since it doesn't lock anymore.

I have seen when people have added too much LSD additive. Then when they change the fluid 30,000 miles later and add the proper amount of additive, the LSD magically starts working. I always start with no additive, If I get chatter, I add a little at a time til the chatter goes away. Keep in mind, it might take up to 100 miles for the LSD additive to mix in and stop chatter. Oftentimes people will drive it around the block, hear the chatter and add more. They are not giving the additive to take effect. Then when they add three times as much needed, they are perplexed as to why the LSD quit working.

What do you mean by "chattering"? I can´t find a word that makes sense in this context, when translating it into german.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mlatour
Rapid engagement/dis-engagement of clutches and driveline shudder or vibrations felt when cornering.

It can also cause a moaning/groaning like sound, or even a squawk-like sound, depending on the clutch plate materials, and spring preload pressures.

Some have even described a sound like a rusty screw being driven into a hard wood block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back