How often do you change your cabin filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change mine about every 20k miles. It takes 2 minutes to do in my Mazda as it is right behind the glove box. Heck, I change my cabin filter more often than the air filter.

Last edited:
The Fusion gets a new one every 25k (same as air filter). The Sedona gets one a little sooner usually, as the airflow in the vehicle is much greater on account of the rear vents always being on. Granted, the cabin filter is bigger to accommodate the extra flow, but it still fills up quick.

Well, I drove my Echo for three years without ever looking at the cabin filter. No idea how long it was in there before that, but it was NASTY! Replaced it last summer, I think I'll probably replace it every other year.

I have a '06 S2000 and all I did was to buy one cabin filter(Wix) take out the old one, put in the Wix. I then take the dirty cabin filter and wash it out, let it dry and put it away till I change them out in the Spring and Fall. Do this twice a year on our S2000, the top is down 98% of the time so I just need the filter to keep the air ducks clean.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I have a '06 S2000 and all I did was to buy one cabin filter(Wix) take out the old one, put in the Wix. I then take the dirty cabin filter and wash it out, let it dry and put it away till I change them out in the Spring and Fall. Do this twice a year on our S2000, the top is down 98% of the time so I just need the filter to keep the air ducks clean.

ROD

When my S2000 top is down(90% of the time) I hit the recirculate button, no air will flow through the filter and air duct.

Replaced mine on the 2013 Venza. Have about 27000 miles on it, removed it and it was still fairly clean aside from some acorns and leaves. Replaced it anyway since I bought the replacement. Used a Fram Charcoal impregnated cabin filter.

While I was at it, did the air filter as well, same thing fairly clean for the time and miles. Will probably change again in another 30k

Oddly enough my last 2 CAF changes were at 20K on the button.
Yesterday's change yielded a nearly opaque, grey grimy filter.
It was extremely filthy after only 16 months. It was a WIX.
I'd bet some of the total dirt was road salt. We had a lot of it this Winter.

The previous change, 20K before that, yielded a filter with a 50/50 pattern of dirt (arc shaped-relevant to duct position etc.) and cleanliness. When held up to the Sun the clean part looked thin, cheap and flimsy.
That was after 14 months. It was a Drive Works (cheap promotional filters from Advance).
I'd bet the cheaper filter let a lot of dirt through.

You get what you pay for. Kira

Was tempted to change mine when I pulled the Fram cabin air filter in my 02 Silverado after running it for a year. There was a pile of leaves on the bottom from parking under a tree but I vacuumed the filter and housing I might plan use a prefilter if I change the cabin air filter again.

I just changed the CAF on a neighbor's 2010 Accord.
It had at least 25K on it; likely more.
'Twas very dirty.

2 years MAX or 20K MAX is my blanket rule now. Kira

On my S, I get more air out of the vents(at 60 mph or more) than I do with it on recirculate. Under 60 and recirulate puts out way more air than when on fresh air.

ROD

my car is daily car and running on quietly dusty road, even i always use air conditioner, i do change cabin filter every 10k kilometers and every 2 weeks it is pulverizered by air pressure.

for better air in your cabin and the longevity of using cabin filter. everytime you finish to use your car, switch the A/C then maximize the fan then open all window about 3-5 minutes. it will circulate the air. in return, cabin filter is ok and your cabin fresh all day long.

Last edited:
I bought the KN cabin filter on 2012 Hyundai Accent and wash with simplegreen and water once every two months. I also do the lubegard or equivalent into the condensor hose to clean mold and mildew yearly.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
On my S, I get more air out of the vents(at 60 mph or more) than I do with it on recirculate. Under 60 and recirulate puts out way more air than when on fresh air.

ROD

How does that work? with recirculate on and fan off should be no air flow

Yup, with the recirculate on and the fan off you should get no air. Above 60-65 mph, the high pressure area at the base of the windshield forces more air through the vents on my S2000 when on fresh air. On recirculate the fan has to do all the work.

ROD

I change the cab air filter on my pickup usually every 6 months. Frequent gravel road use. My semi truck, when it starts really building up. Very easy to pop a cover under the hood and check. It gets done every few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back