Used car pre purchase inspection etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been contemplating ditching my cavalier because it's boring and I miss having a truck. It's in great shape overall and I've found a number of craigslist folks wanting to trade compact pickups for small cars.
My cavalier inspection was pretty minimal since it was dark out, I needed a car asap, and the owner had maintenance records.
When looking for another vehicle I want to take my time to really be thorough, especially since a lot of the trucks in my price range and potential trade vehicles are pre 1995.
Is it over the top to bust out the jack stands to give the front end a good once over? How about a compression test?
What do you guys do? What do you think is reasonable? And would you think someone doing a compression test in your driveway on a vehicle you're selling is crossing a line?

For me personally, I would have no problem with someone thoroughly looking under the vehicle, etc. I would not, however, let them start wrenching on it (ie, remove plugs to test compression). What if you strip the threads in the head...who pays for the repair? etc,etc

When selling a vehicle, I have agreed to allow an inspection by a shop I approved of, at the potential buyer's expense, with a deposit provided.

This is, of course, allowed only after potential buyer has confirmed he wanted to buy my vehicle, with mechanical condition being their only concern, and final matter before furnishing full payment. Anything less than that, and a potential was told to go kick sand.

I would allow them to look at anything they want to (oil cap dip stick, under the spare) And if I agree and AM the one taking off a tire or t-tops or something, then small things extra ..sure. Taking it to a shop of our agreement for inspection at their expense...sure. Even if they aren't totally sure they want it. If they're willing to pay for an inspection, bonus for me.

If I'm serious about selling it then it would be appropriate to allow it within reason.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
When selling a vehicle, I have agreed to allow an inspection by a shop I approved of, at the potential buyer's expense, with a deposit provided.

This is, of course, allowed only after potential buyer has confirmed he wanted to buy my vehicle, with mechanical condition being their only concern, and final matter before furnishing full payment. Anything less than that, and a potential was told to go kick sand.

Agree

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
For me personally, I would have no problem with someone thoroughly looking under the vehicle, etc. I would not, however, let them start wrenching on it (ie, remove plugs to test compression). What if you strip the threads in the head...who pays for the repair? etc,etc

Same here. The last thing I want is a backyard hack pulling plugs. What happens if he strips one? No insult to the OP he could be the best mechanic in the world, my issue is I don't know that and would rather not find out. If someone wants to have my vehicle checked out at a shop I have no problem dropping it off for him, however no one is going to be wrenching it in my driveway.

I've never needed to go to those extremes to judge a vehicle that I'm purchasing. If you can't judge the condition of a vehicle without tearing into it, just agree to take it to a shop to be inspected. Then you can adjust the price if any issues are found.

It sounds like you are in the $2000 price range.

If I was selling a car for $2000, it would be test drive (with cash in MY hand), basic fluid checks, air filter check. No way someone is wrenching on my vehicle, I would not allow the vehicle to even be jacked up. If the person was insistent I'd let them know that this isn't the right car for them.

What I have seen in my location is that $2000 gets you a car that runs, drives, and probably passes state safety inspection.

thr_wedge makes a good point, things are a little harder in the lower price range. The buyer has a greater need for due diligence, since the vehicle has lower inherit value and higher potential liabilities. At the same time, the buyer has less confidence in the vehicle.

I'm not sure which state or nation your part of the Republic of Cascadia co-exists, but there is probably an emissions and/or safety inspection that needs to be done before the new owner can license the vehicle.

If the vehicle you're looking it is not already inspected as such, and you're very interested, offer the owner to pay for the inspection, if you decide not to buy the vehicle they get free information on what needs to be fixed, if it passes and you decide not to buy they have an inspected vehicle, if you decide to buy, with or without issues discovered, then it all becomes part of the bargaining, but you pay for the inspection either way.

You can tell a lot about a car by just listening to it. Start it up. Any rattles,knocks or roughness? Do the brakes pulsate? Stop evenly with out any pull?

Pull the oil cap. Is it clean in there? Are there oil change stickers on the window or door jamb?

If it's an OBD2 car it will throw a CEL if theres anything even a minor thing wrong.

I'd be more concerned about the transmission myself.

Jack a corner to tug on front end? Sure.
Up on ramps to look underneath? Sure.
jack it up and crawl underneath? Bring your own jack. I'll offer a stand. Please.
Drive it? Sure.
Take it to your mechanic? Uhh, who is he and is he close? I don't have insurance on it anymore. (fib, or realsies, I don't care... had a guy take a 75 mile joy ride.)
Pull plugs? Nope.
Open a cold rad cap? Sure.
Open a hot one? You know it's hot, right?
Check oil? Sure. Had one guy feel for grit between his fingers. You want a napkin?

The buyer is usually bluffing when they say they want to go to a mechanic, they just want to see if you'll let them. Say yes and the matter will usually drop. Or, offer they can bring their mechanic to you. This is usually some know-it-all boyfriend, but it helps them feel warm & fuzzy.

Pull a wheel? Now you're wasting my time. You're the sort of buyer who'll complain in six months over some tiny thing. You can pay full price (which is reasonable) or go home. Someone less picky than you will come along.

Spark plugs? NO!

Whatever you'd find, be it brakes or whatever, cost $20 and an hour to do. Pound sand.

I have a indy shop that will do a full evaluation for $150. They take about an hour to:

1. pull all 4 wheels and inspect brakes/suspension/tires
2. check driveline for leaks and loose parts
3. inspect cooling system, ac system
4. inspect air filter, oil,brake fluid,ps fluid, test battery
5. check all electric windows, radio, cd, defrosters, heated seats, lights, turn signals, scan for and cel codes
6. check for any open recalls.

I will never buy a vehicle without their OK. (unless it's a CPO with warranty)

Last edited:
$150 is a 10% vehicle cost adder in this price range.

On a sub $2000 vehicle you are going to find a lot of issues. That $150 is better spent towards fluid changes, and new brake pads.

Interesting... How do you guys (seller / buyer) handle the test drive? Are you in the car with the driver? Is there a certain mileage you allow? How do you know if their DL is valid?

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge
$150 is a 10% vehicle cost adder in this price range.

On a sub $2000 vehicle you are going to find a lot of issues. That $150 is better spent towards fluid changes, and new brake pads.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Da Game
Are you in the car with the driver?

I've sometimes allowed people to take a test drive themselves. It depends how trusting I am, and who the person is. They can check out the car at their own pace without me hovering over them. It usually results in a happy customer that buys the car.

There's no way I would let a potential buyer start sticking a jack under the car, pulling plugs or anything like that. What if they damaged the body or suspension with improper jacking? Nor would I ask any seller to let me do that to a car.

If a buyer was very serious I would consider jacking up the car and letting them look underneath. But I would be jacking up the car and providing the stands and everything.

I would be willing to take a car in for per-purchase inspection if the buyer made the arrangements. I would take the car in myself, though.

$150 is a 10% vehicle cost adder in this price range. On a sub $2000 vehicle you are going to find a lot of issues.

Money well spent, but my local mechanics will do it for half that.

That $150 is better spent towards fluid changes, and new brake pads.

Add that to the cost of a new programmed ECU or ABS controller and some engine or transmission work and you've REALLY saved some money, like -$2000 or more.

Back in 1984 I was selling my 1982 Datsun 280ZX, child coming, no back seat. The potential buyer, a female, had her mechanic inspect the car totally. He gave it a great clean bill of health. Her COLLEGE PROFESSOR boyfriend demanded I strip the car and engine down and have every part measured against factory specs. What an idiot! Needless to say it didn't happen. She lost a great car because of an idiot bf and not listening to her mechanic.

Whimsey

Sounds like the consensus is no on a compression test and I could see how it would be not only weird, but also a liability. I've only ever bought a half a handful of cars and done pretty well each time. One car I sold to a private party was after it was involved in a hit and run and I had liability only on it, so the guy knew what he was getting; the other wasn't really a sale so much as an insurance write off thanks to gravity and a large tree.
For a budget of below $2000 there's a lot of turds out there, but there's also some gems.
What sort of stuff do you guys looks for as a good general indicator of a decent car? When I was car shopping last November I noticed a pretty high correlation between the condition of the body and interior and whether or not the fluids were clean. That looked like pride in ownership to me and was a good hint it was at least half way cared for.
What I'm really trying to avoid is ditching a known quantity in the Cavalier and ending up with something that needs a fair bit of work. But perhaps that's part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back