Positive crankcase ventilation - Commercial catch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what the carbonation from blowby gasses does to a valve stem that does not get washed by the fuel injector spray.

3q3LJ.jpg

Claud - cylinder temperature and cylinder pressure go hand in hand, they directly influence torque. Limiting one or other, or both, is nonsensical. Think about thermodynamics - cold air into a hot cylinder - big change in temp is preferable to a small change in temp to extract the most output.
Besides, NOX isn't MOTable so it doesn't matter to us
wink.gif

Since there are many MILLIONS of cars without them it would appear a catch can is hardly a necessity.

All engines with a PCV get some oil in the intake, it's hardly a big deal unless for some reason yous is excessive.

My car has one of the fastest ET's anywhere for a stock 6.1 yet has never had a catch can. It is far from a real performance booster, but it feels good to know that you are "clean" I guess...

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It's cheap insurance on a turbo car to use one on the turbo side air supply. Otherwise the turbo blades get coated in oil and the intercooler will fill with oil.

I agree, the trick is to plumb it in w/o triggering a CEL. That can be tricky in some of these newer vehicles. I was reading up on it for some of the diesel apps, and it can be tricky.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It's cheap insurance on a turbo car to use one on the turbo side air supply. Otherwise the turbo blades get coated in oil and the intercooler will fill with oil.

I agree, the trick is to plumb it in w/o triggering a CEL. That can be tricky in some of these newer vehicles. I was reading up on it for some of the diesel apps, and it can be tricky.

If it is all plumbed in line and sealed I don't see how there could be any CEL problems. But I have never used one on a diesel. They are just passive devices when used like this.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If it is all plumbed in line and sealed I don't see how there could be any CEL problems. But I have never used one on a diesel. They are just passive devices when used like this.

I have a feeling the guys who had issues had bends in the system and changed or reduced hose sizes.

There were guys on the Gen Coupe turbos that used check valves and screwed things up. Blowing seals and the such. Beware in the winter too if the can is a fancy one inside that has baffles or separating material. When the gunk freezes then it no longer can pass air.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Claud - cylinder temperature and cylinder pressure go hand in hand, they directly influence torque. Limiting one or other, or both, is nonsensical. Think about thermodynamics - cold air into a hot cylinder - big change in temp is preferable to a small change in temp to extract the most output.
Besides, NOX isn't MOTable so it doesn't matter to us
wink.gif

It only really matters for wot, unless you are on a track or drag strip driveability counts for more than maximum power output. It has the effect of inhibiting temperature spikes, undesireable in ant internal combustion engine.

Nox doesn't come into the mot test, so it's fine to pump out toxic gases then?.

Roger.

Last edited:

All heavy commercial diesels have gotten oil trap filters, or "catch cans" since the advent of the CCV setups on them in 2007. The diesel OEM's didn't wait to figure out there would be a problem allowing that oil mess to get in the intake. They took proactive measures right away from the factory. But then, commercial diesel OEM's have always been a little bit ahead of the curve compared to general automotive engine OEM's.

Unlike some of the aftermarket varieties we see around, these heavy diesel OEM ones have replaceable filter elements in them, and oil captured is returned to the crankcase. No draining required, just a filter replacement every so often per their recommended intervals.

Originally Posted By: Olas
And what about the muscle cars and hot rods with a small k&n style filter on each rocker cover? Why aren't they illegal?

Many of them are pre-EPA emissions model years, and the illegal late model ones which are not either are exempt due to 'limited use' registrations, or are registered in states with NO inspections/emissions testing/checks.
wink.gif

All of my vehicles have electric vacuum pumps that pull a 7" vacuum on the crankcase, large compressor air driers to protect the pump from oil, and pump the air into the exhaust. I'd just pump it into the atmosphere, but it really stinks. I used Moroso evacuation fittings in the exhaust, but with an electric pump, rather than letting the fittings do the work on their own. Works marvelously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back