Stuck oil filler cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go figure, the Traverse was reading a little low since I changed the oil ~4000 miles ago, and darned if the cap was stuck! A little coaxing got it off safely, but it seems to me it was sticky when I changed it, so I smeared a little engine oil on the O-ring. Anything better I should be using?

I've had this problem as well in my 20 year old VW Golf.
Over time the rubber degrades the heating and cooling cycles contribute to this issue. I wouldn't risk applying anything to it as long as it doesn't tear. Maybe use a bit of synthetic oil on it as I use dino in my car.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Need to carry a large channel lock pliers with you.

+1

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The cap on my jeep won't come off when its at normal operating temps.

LOL Several years ago I broke the ratchet mechanism on the oil fill cap of my 04 GC with the 4.0. Some materials change size with temperature more than others. I just got used to putting it on finger tight.

The cap on my jeep won't come off when its at normal operating temps.

Same here.

Gates and Stant make an aftermarket cap that might come off easier, only costs about $3 on Rockauto each if you want to try one.

Gates Part # 31103

STANT Part # 10099

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Need to carry a large channel lock pliers with you.

I did use channel lock pliers to unstuck oil filler cap few times before, I didn't know it was and is a common problem. I thought that I was getting weaker as I was getting older.

You mean to say some of you guys use tools to tighten/loosen the fill cap? I've always just presumed it just had to be finger tight and that's always what I've done. I don't even tighten it up much by hand, but as someone else stated if my engine is hot the cap is solid, I have to get a rag and really put some muscle into it and when it cools down it's easy to open by hand again

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I oiled mine. No luck

Did you use 100% synthetic oil?

:p. Probably that goil junk, it cant even lubricate an o ring!

I think the plastic swells.

Most caps I see (or at least have problems with-- cough, GM, cough) have a cam-lock and 90 degree twist.

Our Libby 3.7 has the same issue. I've tried different things with no success.

My cap is a twist-lock job. Apparently it just gets sticky when hot and needs some persuasion to get it to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back