Do you ever buy tools "just because"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Let me ask you guys another question; How many of you guys buy parts before they are broken? And once you receive them, you just hold on to them until you are forced to replace them rather than swapping them as soon as you get it? I hate myself for doing that but I rationalize by thinking that when it does break (based upon other people's experience) I would much rather have the new part ready to go. I still think if the part is still not completely broken, why try to replace it and cause more problems? When the old part breaks, well then I have no choice but to take on the job and fix it. Once I fix it, I then wonder myself as to why was I so scared of tackling it before? It was pretty straight forward.

I don't have parts currently but years ago my power steering pump and front brake calipers kept breaking on my old Isuzu Trooper. I kept spares of them.

Parts are too expensive to stock in my garage. I have about a half-dozen car parts stores and a dealership within a 5 mile radius of my house.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Let me ask you guys another question; How many of you guys buy parts before they are broken? And once you receive them, you just hold on to them until you are forced to replace them rather than swapping them as soon as you get it? I hate myself for doing that but I rationalize by thinking that when it does break (based upon other people's experience) I would much rather have the new part ready to go. I still think if the part is still not completely broken, why try to replace it and cause more problems? When the old part breaks, well then I have no choice but to take on the job and fix it. Once I fix it, I then wonder myself as to why was I so scared of tackling it before? It was pretty straight forward.

I bought a pressure plate, clutch disk, and flywheel about 20 years ago for my 88 E-150. I'm just about due for one. I couldn't pass up on the price. I figured if something happened to the van I could sell them [at a profit] because they fit in the F-150 PU with the 4.9L engine. I'll probably swap out the clutch at some point this year.

Not really. I have cheap quality 3/8 ratchet as a gift. It is still working. I have 3/8 breaker bar from hf . So I haven't spend money on tools in the past 7 years.

Another thing which I end up doing is if I know I have to take off a suspect part, I buy new one before even trying to take the old off. That sounds retarded but I do not want to have to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back