Honda Slashes US production due to shut ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Why do I get the impression union members have a strong sense of entitlement?

Why do I get the impression management has a strong sense of entitlement?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

What gives you this impression?

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
dishdude.

What gives you your impression of union members?

What gives you your impression of union members?

The 2 (*main) union pushers in this thread.

Last edited:
Well I take issue with Management looking at labor as disposable and easily replaceable. The war on unions in this country has eroded the middle class and pushed wages down for all. Thus I view Management as feeling entitled to cheap slave labor.

Well I take issue with Management looking at labor as disposable and easily replaceable. The war on unions in this country has eroded the middle class and pushed wages down for all. Thus I view Management as feeling entitled to cheap slave labor.

General labor is disposable IMO and believe me, I am no manager. If someone doesnt want to do the job, hundreds of others are waiting to take their place. I have seen it happen. (Hostess?)

The war on unions exists because they are obsolete. During the industrial revolution, yes they were needed. People worked 12+ hr days, 7 days a week, no breaks, no OSHA, no child labor laws etc. This gets thrown at me nearly every time.

This is a bit OT, but are either of you in management?

Last edited:

General labor is disposable IMO and believe me, I am no manager. If someone doesnt want to do the job, hundreds of others are waiting to take their place. I have seen it happen. (Hostess?)

The war on unions exists because they are obsolete. During the industrial revolution, yes they were needed. People worked 12+ hr days, 7 days a week, no breaks, no OSHA, no child labor laws etc. This gets thrown at me nearly every time.

I am in Management for a Fortune 500 Company! And all of those employment laws, OSHA rules, etc. came into effect due to employers taking advantage of their workforce and employees standing up and bargaining collectively.

Funny you mention Hostess, it was a victim of greed with venture capital companies buying and selling it for years while sucking the cash flow out of it and investing nothing into the company. A convenient scapegoat was the union.

I am in Management for a Fortune 500 Corporation! And all of those employment laws, OSHA rules, etc. came into effect due to employers taking advantage of their workforce and employees standing up and bargaining collectively.

Funny you mention Hostess, it was a victim of greed with venture capital companies buying and selling it for years while sucking the cash flow out of it and investing nothing into the company. A convenient scapegoat was the union.

Somehow you mentioning that work for a F500 company makes you an expert on the situation?

Yes.. all those laws came into affect from the employer "abusing" the employees.. Back in the early 1900's. Obsolete argument now IMO.

Not too sure I am buying the Hostess greed thing. The first thing I did once they came back out with the Twinkie was buy a box. They never tasted sooo good!

Please define corporate greed? I take that to mean someone is just jealous of someone else' accomplishments. Also keep in mind these greedy corporations are your job providers and as said before, you are free to leave whenever.

Somehow you mentioning that work for a F500 company makes you an expert on the situation?

You asked! And actually it does, some of our offices are unionized and the negotiated wage impacts our non-unionized offices. I am proud to work for a company that takes care of their employees and compensates them fairly - and I am sure part of it is due to some of the union shops we have within the organization.

You asked! And actually it does, some of our offices are unionized and the negotiated wage impacts our non-unionized offices. I am proud to work for a company that takes care of their employees and compensates them fairly - and I am sure part of it is due to some of the union shops we have within the organization.

A simple yes or no would have worked too. Your employer's monetary worth means nothing to me in this discussion.

Walmart and McDonald's are both Fortune 500 companies btw.

But most employees you encounter at your local McDonald's do not work for corporate. They work for the franchise holder. So getting on the local small businessman who bought a franchise and opened a store about paying minimum wage isn't a fair comparison.

A simple yes or no would have worked too. Your employer's monetary worth means nothing to me in this discussion.

Walmart and McDonald's are both Fortune 500 companies btw.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
So getting on the local small businessman who bought a franchise and opened a store about paying minimum wage isn't a fair comparison.

Where did you get this from what was said?

Just speaking in generalities. So many think that just because McDonalds, Ford, Exxon or whatever is on the marquee that the corporate profits are at the expense of the local worker.

Few understand that those local workers are not hired by corporate. Which further bolsters your point that corporate profitability has nothing to do with how much a local franchisee pays the workers.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
So getting on the local small businessman who bought a franchise and opened a store about paying minimum wage isn't a fair comparison.

Where did you get this from what was said?

dishdude,

What is your career field ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

dishdude,

What is your career field ?

Security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back