Definitive proof AW-1 spec oil is JWS 3309

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ozigoo

From Aisin
http://www.ipdusa.com/files/product/509/AISIN ATF OE INTERCHANGE.PDF

The way I read the supposedly Aisin sourced document from IPD it implies that Aisin's ATF-0T4 is suitable for the applications listed below it, include JWS 3309. JWS 3309 is now a pretty old spec and I doubt that an oil which just meets JWS 3309 requirements would also meet the much newer GM T-IV spec. I do, however, believe that Aisin could easily be offering an oil which is a super-set of both requirements.

The "Ford" transmission in the second document is supplied by Aisin. I think that is simple the spec sheet for Ford's bottle of the standard Aisin formula.

Two counter trends are causing a lot of confusing these days.

Trend 1: Vehicle manufacturers coming up with their own transmission fluid specifications and/or registered trademarks. This may be to optimize performance, or may just be to optimize profitability for their licensing and supplies businesses.

Trend 2: Vehicle manufacturers are often sourcing their automatic transmissions from multiple suppliers, which means that the "correct" fluid per trend #1 becomes split. So now you have Ford and others putting out multiple "correct" transmission fluid specs/brands depending on which unit is in your vehicle.

This is all IMO a big mess and is in part designed to have car owners throw up their hands and just let the dealership handle it, for a price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back