Fluid too clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a heck of a time getting an accurate transmission fluid level read on the dipstick. The fluid is so clean that I can't make out where the level is and the dumb case design makes the flexible dipstick rub against the sides on pullout (
laugh.gif
).

Any tips?

Originally Posted By: andyd
If the transmission doesn't slip during the first upshift of a cold start, then the level is adequate

That's not true. The fluid level in my transmission got too low one time and it acted fine until I made a couple stops and I thought everything was fine until about the third stop when the transmission almost stalled the engine due to the pump sucking air for a second and causing the truck to lunge forward.

Put the stick on a paper towel and watch the fluid blot away. About 2-3 seconds in is your sweet spot, when it's still caterpillar shaped and not yet just a blob.

Take out and immediately hold it horizontal, not vertical. Look at front and back. Trying laying a piece of paper towel on top of dipstick and see if that helps. Its not cherry red?

I would not pull it out/re-insert more than twice before waiting an hour. When you pull out and re-insert you get ATF all over the bends in the dipstick tube and the more times you pull it out and re-insert the more odd the readings will be.

Just put in same amount that you removed..and after you drive it awhile you should see it on the dipstick. Maybe try checking at night with a flashlight? Might be easier to see?

Some manufacturers give indications when checking it cold which might be easier to see. Following their procedures, if the level is somewhere in the "add" area when cold, I would think the level would be OK. By the time the fluid expands, it likely would end up near the full line. I have a Mercury and a Dodge and it is possible on both to check cold.

When you pull the stick to check, sprinkle a little baby powder to determine level then ypu will know. be sure to wipe it all off clean before re-insertion of dip stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back