M1 TDT Absolutely Stopped My 5.3L Cold Clacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try the M1 0w40 for a run.
M1 ESP and HM is pretty thick for a 5w30.
And of course, Castrol 0w30 and 0w40..
I'd also consider other 5w40's like Rotella T6, Delo, Valvoline, Castrol...

Viscosity film thickness as a shock absorber.... or extra additives being utilized... Viscosity extremes... going too thick or thin never surprises me anymore.

Same oil filter?

Back before my BITOG days, I used this stuff in my Jeep. I would buy it along with a M1 filter at Oreillys at full price. Nearly $60.. I was an idiot.

I always considered myself a "car guy", but I never noticed cold starts and the related noise to be an issue while TDT was in the sump.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Same oil filter?

Yes, same oil filter.

I might have to try this in the Equinox. I tried Castrol Edge 0w40 like I use in the VW (I have an over abundance of and needed to rid some before my move) and it quieted it down for about 1K miles, but is back to its old clacking ways. Although I think the head gasket is on its way out so it might not matter.

I just put some TDT in my 3.4L toyota today. I "diluted" it with some 5w20 Peak syn. I haven't really driven it yet to know if it runs any different.

Next time ill try it in my 3.1 GM, which also has piston slap, no?

Must have been the lifters; my 2000 GMC 5.3 had a case of cold piston slap that would scare the fainthearted. It was multiple pistons. I backed out the drive and within 300 feet it would have diminished in volume then stopped entirely as the pistons warmed. It never used a bit of oil until I sold it at 120,000. I would have kept it but I got a chance to get an extra-cab at a good price.

I have found that GC 0w-30 from back in the day quieted the 5.3L quite a bit. When the old school GC 0w-30 was not available I used Mobil 1 5w-30 and regretted it. Loud loud loud on startup until warm. I moved to Edge 0w-40 and it's quiet once again.

Originally Posted By: Turk
I've owned my 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 5.3L Vortec since brand new.

It had nothing but 3k Conventional 5w-30 OCI's up to 63,000 miles.

It had nothing but 4-7k Synthetic 5w-30 OCI's up to the last fill.

Then, knowing the stout additive pack, and knowing I'd pull my heavy boat a lot, I thought what the heck: I filled it with Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT) 5w-40 last Spring, close to 200,000 miles.

- On 5w-30: Each cold start for years (at 32F & under), the engine would clack like crazy until it warmed up, then it slowly went quiet.

- On this M1 TDT 5w-40 fill: Each cold start (at 32F & under), there is NO engine clacking.

I have repeatably started this engine in cold weather to prove eit's consistent.

It sits and sat outside for the past 5 years. It's 7F this morning and it started quiet as can be (and has all this season).

...and before anyone gets on this kick... I have had zero bias on engine weights.

Amazing.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Try the M1 0w40 for a run.
M1 ESP and HM is pretty thick for a 5w30.
And of course, Castrol 0w30 and 0w40..
I'd also consider other 5w40's like Rotella T6, Delo, Valvoline, Castrol...

Viscosity film thickness as a shock absorber.... or extra additives being utilized... Viscosity extremes... going too thick or thin never surprises me anymore.

Same oil filter?

My 6.0 in my c3 got m1,euro this change and not that the engine was really noisy before but now I can barely tell it's running.
I have a ton of euro spec stuff right now so now that I've heard the difference I'm going to keep with it.

11/2/15 update:

M1 TDT did well throughout its run in essentially eliminating the cold clacking in my 5.3L.

I recently switched it out for a slightly thinner M1 0w-40 in prep for a lot of cold weather starts here in Mn.

The M1 TDT was quieter on cold starts than the M1 0w-40 is, BUT have no Sub-Zero temps to directly compare it to yet.

Hard to say if it's viscosity related or add. pack differences (which are small).

tig1, you'd have to hear it.

Without taking it apart, I'm pretty sure it's lifters. Another mechanic who knows these engines well also said it's not piston slap.

No discussion of cold start knocking can be complete without talking about carbon knock. This sounds exactly like piston slap, generally disappearing quickly as things warm up. Easily cured with two cups of kreen in the gas tank.

Having owned dozens of GM v8 slappers I can assure you it is annoying only and the engines still run nearly forever.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
tig1, you'd have to hear it.

Without taking it apart, I'm pretty sure it's lifters. Another mechanic who knows these engines well also said it's not piston slap.

No discussion of cold start knocking can be complete without talking about carbon knock. This sounds exactly like piston slap, generally disappearing quickly as things warm up. Easily cured with two cups of kreen in the gas tank.

Hummm... Interesting..... I have put Techron at 1 1/2 strength in the gas with no difference before.

I have an extra Quart of Kreen sitting on the shelf, may have to try that!
smile.gif

Two cups (16 Oz.) in how many Gallons of Gas??

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
we use 2 cups in a 33 gallon tank. It works very quickly, too, a couple of hours and it's all done...

Ok, I'll try 1 cup in about 16 gallons.
It'll take a while as I don't drive the truck much until Ice Fishing begins, lol...

My neighbor has one of these engines, but not sure of the exact year. He cranks it up, and it is loud, but by the time he gets from his house to just past the end of my property(500 ft guessing), it gets quite. It's like somebody turned a switch off. Pretty sure it's piston slap on his engine. When he comes back home, the motor is still quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back