Pipe plug socket vs. ratchet drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason to use a pipe plug socket as opposed to a ratchet drive for removing a diff plug? The plug is a 3/8" btw.

Yes, a pipe plug socket is solid square steel, more material and stronger, a ratchet/extention has the ball in the end, and if the ratchet as a quick release, a hollow bore.

A serious mechanic has plug sockets, I have come across some dang tight differentials, and you can use a low torque impact on a pipe plug if all else fails.(risky!)

most are inset, so I use an extension to suit. If I turned wrenches for a living I'd have the proper tool. But I don't and I dont like having tools that don't get used. Also , on my cars, the plug is snug, not reefed on, so I have no trouble with this kind of stuff. IIRC, I abused a 3/8 ratchet on the Rat without much trouble.

I have always used just the drive too, but it has always been with the diff on my Jeep. My brothers blazer has the fill plug on the right front side of the housing between the driveshaft and axle tube. Horrible location, it's rusted and the sway bar is in the way.

I'm giving it a daily dose of PB Blaster and will retry this weekend.

I never had any trouble with a ratchet or extension on 3/8 or 1/2 ones, its the almost, close to and odd balls that you are better off with a pipe plug socket.
As far as the plug socket being stronger, thats really splitting hairs.

Think about all the square ends of sockets you rounded out or ratchet square drives you broke off. I cant think of one, can you?

I cant thinking of any, but the only time I have ever used one as such was to remove the fill plug from my Jeep's diff. Just a simple low torque plug in stamped steel. No corrosion whatsoever. It came right out.

Dorman makes an aftermarket diff cover (with a fill plug) that I can get for around $20 with coupons. This seems more worth it IMO. Lol.

For some of the really stuck ones or heavily damaged, sometimes due to location like on a Blazer/Jimmy I use a breaker bar we have which is basically a 3/8 head without the ball or ratcheting action. I just reinstall with a ratchet. Barely more than hand tight plus a couple ratchets.

A little heat around the really tight plugs will loosens the loctite usually. The ones on my Hyundai GenCoupe were insanely tight. As was the original oil filter.

The diff cover from AAP didn't fit.. Go figure.

As a last resort I used the air wrench on the lowest setting. Came right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back