Scion XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT would be for my 29 year old wife. She liked the Matrix and we found one with 15,000 miles for 13k

Last edited:
I have a yaris, Check out the Nissan Cube too. Xd is a tad expensive. I got my Yaris with a lot of options for under 13K. I didnt like the interior design of the Xd - from a stylistic standpoint, not ergnomics.

Up here for about 1K more than a Xd you can get a 5 door subaru impreza which is a much more mature car - dont know about the fun to drive quotient though ...

Mazda 3 is overpriced. Get a Impreza with std AWD - great for those Ill winters when U b chillin and Illin. They go for about 16 k new around here as a price leader. Impreza are midsize cars now - look like 3 series Beemers.

Last edited:
I actually took the XD for a test drive yesterday, a release series in Wasabi Green. Car is roomy for an adult, same engine across the rest of the Scion product line. I myself used to own a tC and can vouch that the car was great in NJ snow(even unplowed streets and parking lots.) I never got stuck in it, never lost or slid due to an issue with traction.

The car gives you a good value for the price, a full Pioneer sound system, an option for a navigation system if warranted, allow wheels, the legendary reliability of the 4 cyl Camry engine. I myself would get an XB for room and storage capacity over the XD.

Id go with a vibe or matrix (same drivetrain as xD but more room) or an XB for even more room (but with decreased mpg).

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
xD should be equipped with the 1.5 as should the xB

My sisters friend bought a XB last year...It has the 2.4 engine...She is a visiting nurse so she is on the road all day and now has 35K miles on it...It runs great.

The only trouble she has is with the dealer...She said the dealer [King Toyota] treats her like garabge..They keep her waiting for hours for a oil change and they are arrogant and rude...My sister told her not to buy or deal with them but of coarse she did not listen...Awhile back my sister has a lot of issues with King.

Because of all this my sisters friend will not ever again buy another Toyota...My sister dumped her Toyota [07 Camry and bought a Mercury] because of the lousy arrogant service at King and all the other Toyota dealerships in Broward County...Each one was just as bad as the other but King takes the cake.

Car and Driver tested the newer Xb out when it came out a year or two ago and it was the highest weight gain between two generations of a model that have ever tested (2300 lbs to near 3000 lbs). On the other hand, I think the Xd looks pretty cool and I probably would have strongly considered one if it was available with no power options..

I looked at an XD last year but I didn't like that the standard tires were very expensive because of their unusual size. I did like the car (XD) but I bought a Corolla instead.

My tC gets around terrible in snow. I think its the Yokohama tires on it.

But it has been 100 percent reliable and gets 34mpg.

I know this thread is five years old, but there are still people out there cross shopping a used XD, i'm sure.

I just traded in my 2012 Scion XD with auto transmission after three years. I was the original owner, it was my daily driver, and I put just over thirty thousand miles on it.

What I liked about the XD:

Reliable; never a mechanical, or electrical issue.

Decent fuel economy; averaged 26mpg city and 33mpg highway.

Ride height; seating is a little higher than typical sub/compact sedan, which provided nice driving views.

Easy entry/exit; slightly higher seating easier to slid in/out.

A/C system; great at blowing out really cold air. Better than some other cars I have owned, so it is worth mentioning for sure.

Exterior style; I loved it.

What I did not like:

Turning radius; about the same as a new RAV4. The XD is a small car with a huge turn circle. It bugs me to no end.

Rattle in dashboard and center console; this issue was on and off. So it was impossible for dealerships to track down and fix. It got annoying at times.

Cheapo HVAC control knobs; such a shame because the AC itself is wonderful in that it blows out really cold air. The overseas market gets the XD (UrbanCruiser) with modern digital controls. Why did we get the cheap Fisher Price knobs?

Ride; it can be bouncy and harsh riding without a good quality plus size tire. Even though the 215/55/16 tires I put on helped a lot, it is still a short wheelbased economy car. Only so much a good tire can do.

A good practical economy car. I know the XD could probably run forever because of the Corolla powertrain it has. If only it had a much tighter turn radius, like similar vehicles in its class, I could have overlooked the other gripes.

My new ride is a Mazda3, and I definitely enjoy it more than the XD as a daily driver. However, the 2012 Mazda3 has a [censored] AC, everything else is fine about it. My wifes 2015 Mazda3 has an awesome AC. Go figure.

^^^

I can echo most of what was said above.

My one surprise after owning it is the grip and general go-kart handling.

I did not expect it to handle like a Mini Cooper but darn if it doesn't try. It also has a decent amount of torque off idle which was probably programmed that way via VVT.

My wife has commuted with it for a year and hasn't complained so that has to say something. Nice to have a cheaper car with touchscreen stereo and bluetooth at that price point as well.

Also if this isn't the definition of a girl car color combo...I give up...

scion_xd_my14_two_tone_2_51535_42747_low.jpg

Last edited:
Thermo1223 said:
^^^

My one surprise after owning it is the grip and general go-kart handling.

I did not expect it to handle like a Mini Cooper but darn if it doesn't try. It also has a decent amount of torque off idle which was probably programmed that way via VVT.

Great point, I can't believe I forgot to mention that the handling is good, and improved 2x after I put the Pirelli P7 tires on. I probably surprised a few motorists that tried tailgating me on twisty roads, and tight looping freeway on-ramps.

When I mentioned the huge turn radius issue to a service tech at the Scion dealership, he said that Toyota engineered it that way so it would have sportier handling. He said that they do that with the Yaris SE model, too. If you get a Yaris "L" or "LE" model it has a very small turn radius but the steering is vague and not very responsive. He said the "SE" model is tuned to have a firmer and very responsive steering feel, but adds about 6 feet to the turning circle.

Overall the XD was a very reliable car for me. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend the XD to someone who is looking for a reliable, economical car.

Last edited:
I've driven a few.

The car is mechanically good. Handling is what you would expect from a Toyota. Competent and safe but not very exciting.

The styling bothers me. I'm sure some like it. To me the xA was better looking and it wasn't a good looking car either.

The seating position is weird. For some reason I liked the original 1.5 xB better even though they are remarkably similar. It does contribute to the sporty feeling of the car. You feel like you are cornering much harder than you actually are because of it.

I was in the dealer last week to get oil, and they had a 2014 inside. Is 2014 the last year for xD? seemed odd to have a one year ild model inside on the floor. Anyhow, I thought it odd that it had the 2AZ-FE. Last I knew it had problems with oil burning and head studs. And was out classed by the 2AR-FE. And the old but tough 4spd, which may not be a bad thing.

Seemed like a nice interior size, but funky by all measures in the cockpit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back