Car out of storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I put my 2013 Mustang GT away for the winter I just filled it up with 93 and parked it in my garage. So would it be a good idea to dump some Gumout fuel injector cleaner or some other fuel additive when I take the car out in a few weeks? I was going to add fuel stabilizer before she went down for her winter nap but plumb forgot!

Don't worry about it. Fuel injected vehicles have sealed fuel systems and you has less air in it and nothing's dirty since it wasn't running.

My personal take:

No FI cleaner again - ever. Ive had more Trouble THAN BENEFIT FROM from CLEANERS. This is 45 years of driving experience.

Why is the mustang up for the winter? Its no classic - run the B, B , B ... thang! Tails out!

Gotta love snow - U get a free pass on fishtailing without the squeeling.

Now, salt - not so good ...

If it runs fine, don't worry about it. Fuel stabilizer next winter would be a good idea, though.

I put it up in late November the car was a gift from several of my friends when They found out that I have terminal cancer last year they all got together and bought it for me. The car is way too nice to drive in the Western MA winter between the salt and pot holes it would take a beating. I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder I drive in the winter.

93 octane should be ethanol free. I wouldn't add anything. Just check the fluids and ride.

Friends like yours are hard to find. They must think highly of you. You must be an upstanding individual whose friends think the world of him.Regards to you sir.

my opinion the winter is like 4 months, thats not the same the same as putting one in storage and no specail steps like fuel or additives are needed, i would not drive it snow or slush if i had a choice

Fuel degradation is a chemical process, so less of it going on in cold weather than warm weather. Snow blower will have more issues than mower.

Nothing can really fix degradation in gas once its happened (despite what PRI says they can do). I would have stored it with 1/4 tank of stabilized gas (Startron maybe). Then add fresh gas in the spring.

In a car (newish) the gas tank is sealed, so no water vapors are getting in to condense or mix with the E10.

Burn off some of the gas and refill and do that several times. Eventually you'll have half and half with fresh gas. I wouldn't add anything unless you notice something that you think it would cure.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Fuel degradation is a chemical process, so less of it going on in cold weather than warm weather. ...

I agree with Donald. Storing gasoline for four of the coldest winter months is fine. It might be different for four of the hottest summer months.

I would just drive the car and enjoy it with no worry about the gasoline. Fill it up as you normally would, no need for frequent top-offs to freshen the fuel.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: Donald
Fuel degradation is a chemical process, so less of it going on in cold weather than warm weather. ...

I agree with Donald. Storing gasoline for four of the coldest winter months is fine. It might be different for four of the hottest summer months.

I would just drive the car and enjoy it with no worry about the gasoline. Fill it up as you normally would, no need for frequent top-offs to freshen the fuel.

+1. Only thing that I have ever added in mine when I store is is Stabil.
For four months, even that is overkill.
Just burn that tank off and refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back