High levels of formaldehyde in hardwood flooring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Anybody watch the 60 Minutes segment on very high levels of formaldehyde in hardwood flooring from China that sold at Lumber Liquidators ?

Some were tested and had 13 times the acceptable level of formaldehyde.

I have a pretty strong opinion on this laminate flooring. It's [censored]. If your going to put in hardwood floors, put in the real thing. I have a home built in 1914 (101 years) and the original flooring. Laminate will end up in the landfill in 20 years, gauranted.

Many put in laminate flooring as a interim measure. They have small children and want a decent looking floor while the kids grow up-then they rip it out and putting something nice down. I know all about wood floors and what happens when you drop a coffee mug on it. Yep, it can be replaced but it's takes someone with skill, unlike laminate. Ask me how I know. Bottom line-laminate does indeed have it's place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mykl
I have a pretty strong opinion on this laminate flooring. It's [censored]. If your going to put in hardwood floors, put in the real thing. I have a home built in 1914 (101 years) and the original flooring. Laminate will end up in the landfill in 20 years, gauranted.

What makes it [censored]? Is there a specific reason or is it just a desire for wanting something that isn't inherently fake?

I lean towards preferring hardwoods over laminate, but the price difference cannot be ignored. Because I'm not going to be in any house for 101 years, I don't think I much care what the floors look like at that point.

When laminate first came out-it was not good looking at all. Now there is some very good looking stuff out there. It's not junk...but other posters are certainly entitled to their views!

a natural prduct, maple floors are just as hard and scratch resistant. Its almost impossible to drive a nail thru it. So unless you have tested every product out there, your Mannington, while I am sure it is just fine, may be just an average product.

I only say its junk because most of it in not re-surfaceable. Meaning it's in the landfill in 25 years. Why is everyone trying to go around the most proven system, natural hardwood floors. Been around for centuries.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Anybody watch the 60 Minutes segment on very high levels of formaldehyde in hardwood flooring from China that sold at Lumber Liquidators ?

Many put in laminate flooring as a interim measure. They have small children and want a decent looking floor while the kids grow up-then they rip it out and putting something nice down. I know all about wood floors and what happens when you drop a coffee mug on it. Yep, it can be replaced but it's takes someone with skill, unlike laminate. Ask me how I know. Bottom line-laminate does indeed have it's place.

I beg to disagree. I have had wood floors for 30 years. A coffee mug won't touch a maple floow. Oak, maybe some damage. Replacing a few spots is not rocket science. Sure beats the throw it away mentality.

I only say its junk because most of it in not re-surfaceable. Meaning it's in the landfill in 25 years. Why is everyone trying to go around the most proven system, natural hardwood floors. Been around for centuries.

It just depends on where you're at and what your plans are.

In my case I don't even know if I'm going to be in the house I'm in five years from now. If I felt like doing it I could install a good quality laminate throughout my house for half the cost of having someone install the roughly equivalent quality carpet (checked prices at Lowes, your results may vary).

But the good quality hardwood that I would want to keep for life costs a lot more than that.

If I were in the home I knew I was going to spend the next 50 years in, I would absolutely splurge and get the nice hardwood. But I'm not there yet.

In my case I don't even know if I'm going to be in the house I'm in five years from now. If I felt like doing it I could install a good quality laminate throughout my house for half the cost of having someone install the roughly equivalent quality carpet (checked prices at Lowes, your results may vary).

But the good quality hardwood that I would want to keep for life costs a lot more than that.

If I were in the home I knew I was going to spend the next 50 years in, I would absolutely splurge and get the nice hardwood. But I'm not there yet.

That's the rub here. You get get a good quality laminate for much less than the cost of GOOD CARPETING. And if you have children, after 5 to 7 years carpeting is shot. That is why I said in my earlier post, I have known several couples who went with laminate and plan to replace when the kids are out of the house.

Your right it's not rocket science, but I would rather have someone who installs tongue and groove wood floor all day long-cut out the slats that have been damaged, and replace them than doing it myself.

As far as damage. we had some beautiful oak, it has lasted over 15years, and still looked great when we sold the house. But I guess the wood was softer, because I did damage it with a coffee cup.

I beg to disagree. I have had wood floors for 30 years. A coffee mug won't touch a maple floow. Oak, maybe some damage. Replacing a few spots is not rocket science. Sure beats the throw it away mentality.

How much is it per square foot for real hardwood flooring ?

Checking Lowes it looks like locking laminate floors which are pretty easy for the average person to install themselves is about $2.50 per square foot.

It looks like you can get solid hardwood for that price can get as low as $2 per square foot, but the average price looks to be around $6 per square foot.

I don't know what's better, cheap hardwood or good laminate.

How much is it per square foot for real hardwood flooring ?

Checking Lowes it looks like locking laminate floors which are pretty easy for the average person to install themselves is about $2.50 per square foot.

It looks like you can get solid hardwood for that price can get as low as $2 per square foot, but the average price looks to be around $6 per square foot.

I don't know what's better, cheap hardwood or good laminate.

That cheap wood is probably very soft and will show everything. Maybe I shouldn't say "last longer" but laminate look better over a longer period of time.

there are 4 things mentioned in this thread
Laminate is a photo of wood printed on paper then laminated to an mdf (think particle board)substrate and then given a very durable finish.

Engineered wood- 3/8" or 1/2 " thick- thin real wood veneer glued to a substrate-the cheaper ones use mdf and the better ones use plywood. They are then given up to 7 coats of poly and a coat of aluminum oxide
Solid 3/4 plank prefinished the same way as the engineered wood
3/4 solid plank site finished with oil based poly or water based poly.

All have their good and bad.
Laminates are usually the cheapest. Very tough finish but don't get them wet. they will swell up and be ruined.

Engineered wood is pretty durable but contrary to popular belief they can not be sanded down and refinished.There is a good chance of them delaminating and checking in very dry climates.

Solid 3/4 plank has the same finish as engineered wood and is durable.It again can't be refinished or at least its not a good idea because of the micro bevel edges may leave lines and the clogging of the sander from the aluminum oxide.

3/4 solid plank site finished is the best of them all.With 3 coats of oil based poly the finish with reasonable care could last a decade.You can sand and refinish 2 or 3 times if needed.If you use the proper cleaner that contains no oils or polishers you can screen and coat the floor providing there are no deep scratches.
The down side is this is the most expensive of all of them but nothing looks as good.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
You all are worried about hardwood flooring, while most all of you buy Chinese whether you realize it or not.

Take a look at your clothing and electronics.

Check into the castings for your auto's.

Point is?

We put down flooring when we re-did our kitchen. It was extremely simple to find USA made flooring of the kind we desired, and plenty of other options were also US made.

This is the case for a lot of stuff out there. Far from everything, and you cite many things that are routinely made elsewhere. Still, even many of them can be sourced US made.

Originally Posted By: marine65
there are 4 things mentioned in this thread
Laminate is a photo of wood printed on paper then laminated to an mdf (think particle board)substrate and then given a very durable finish.

Engineered wood- 3/8" or 1/2 " thick- thin real wood veneer glued to a substrate-the cheaper ones use mdf and the better ones use plywood. They are then given up to 7 coats of poly and a coat of aluminum oxide
Solid 3/4 plank prefinished the same way as the engineered wood
3/4 solid plank site finished with oil based poly or water based poly.

All have their good and bad.
Laminates are usually the cheapest. Very tough finish but don't get them wet. they will swell up and be ruined.

Engineered wood is pretty durable but contrary to popular belief they can not be sanded down and refinished.There is a good chance of them delaminating and checking in very dry climates.

Solid 3/4 plank has the same finish as engineered wood and is durable.It again can't be refinished or at least its not a good idea because of the micro bevel edges may leave lines and the clogging of the sander from the aluminum oxide.

3/4 solid plank site finished is the best of them all.With 3 coats of oil based poly the finish with reasonable care could last a decade.You can sand and refinish 2 or 3 times if needed.If you use the proper cleaner that contains no oils or polishers you can screen and coat the floor providing there are no deep scratches.
The down side is this is the most expensive of all of them but nothing looks as good.

agree with all except a solid hardwood floors finish last WAY, WAY more than a decade, try morte like 20-25 years.

That's the rub here. You get get a good quality laminate for much less than the cost of GOOD CARPETING. And if you have children, after 5 to 7 years carpeting is shot. That is why I said in my earlier post, I have known several couples who went with laminate and plan to replace when the kids are out of the house.

I agree, the up front cost of solid hardwood is more expensive but the per year cost is in my opinion, cheaper. I have had kids with my floors, they don't damage them like some people seem to think. I will say, if you want a floor that is going to look like brand new, laminate every 10 years is probably the choice. But if you don't mind a bit of a rustic look, then solid is the way to go, or do what they call a minor re-surface every 10-15 years. The thing about solid is, they do develop small gaps as they age.

Personally, I like the look of old, slightly worn and imperfect hardwood floors.

I worked on a SIPS panel house several yrs ago and found into nearly impossible to work on the top floor when heated and no ventilation (winter). Headaches and dizzy. The electrician said he found them nearly impossible to work in too without huge amounts of ventilation.

I went with 3/8" engineered hardwood, for a few reasons:

- Lots of pre-existing tile butting up to the wood in the living areas, 3/4 plank would have been noticabley taller and required transition runners everywhere tile met wood. Don't like transition runners.

- Price

- Probably be selling the house in 5 or so years

- The perfect Hickory with right amount of grays in it and a satin finish that goes really well with the look of my existing tile happened to be an engineered hardwood product.

- One of the tougher finishes according to the retailer.

- Made in USA

FWIW I used to haul formaldehyde for G-P. I don't know the actual percentages, but all plywood/OSB and particle board resin has it. It's called phenolic resin. I'm wondering why the Chinese stuff has more. Anyways, another reason to buy American products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back