Ndx

Hi Guys,

I have

4 QT of Castrol 0w40
3 QT of Redline 5w30
3 QT of Redline 0w40
4 QT of BMW 5w30
2 QT of M1 0w40

I have a Chrysler Crossfire that needs an oil change .

100k Km o the motor ...

can I blend any of them ... ? I'm planning to run this until it gets warmer under 5k ...

car calls for 0w40 - 8.5qt ..

can I mix and match ?

All the oil above is few years old
smile.gif

Mix and match away, just don't use the 30 weight oils since the car calls for a 40 weight oil.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
So Castrol + Redline + M1 - franken mix
smile.gif
?
Sounds like a stout franken-mix to me.

mix away....is what I always say! I'm running a blend of 4 quarts of German Castrol 0w30 and 2 quarts of Red Line Racing 5wt for my Winter Blend and it has been the best to date.

Freezing temps all winter long and the engine purrs like a kitten with fast start up times.

I have found my winter blend with these clearance oils.

If it were my vehicle, I'd put in one quart of 5w-30 to start using up the 5w-30 (assuming you don't have any other vehicle that requires 5w-30). With 8.5 quarts going in, one quart of 5w-30 isn't going to have much of an affect on the oil.

I'd be comfortable doing that in my vehicle, you may not. Do what you're comfortable with.

The Crossfire is a pseudo Mercedes and should do fine on a blend of DB and BMW spec oils.
Neither DB nor BMW recommend any given grade of oil.
They recommend oils that meet their certs, which included HTHSV of at least 3.5.
I'd therefore blend the Castrol 0W-40 with the Castrol-made BMW 5W-30 and there you go.
You then have enough for a warm weather run using the Redline along with the M1. Red Line oils typically have high viscosity for their grades as well as high HTHSV, so they should be best suited to warmer weather.
Sixteen quarts of oil should be enough for two changes, since unless the thing burns or leaks noticeable amounts, a half quart underfill is no problem.
My advice but others may well differ.

Each time you change your oil, from one brand to another, you are mixing lubricants. Even after an oil change, you still have residual oil left in the oil passageways, sump and the gally's. The only way you can avoid mixing or blending oils is to stay with one product from the begining to the end of the vehicle life. Don't forget that formulations change so you may not be getting the same brand that you started with initially.

I try to avoid mixing but when I have 1 qt left in the jug, it's going in the next oil change with something else if that brand of oil is not on sale.

You probably aren't supposed to mix brands of gasoline either. My car is not that picky.

Its probably not optimal but I mix all the time as long as the weight is similar. I.e. 5w-30 and 0w-30

Have not had any oil related failures yet and multiple vehicles over 300k.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Here is an excellant article that "Trav" posted today on why lubricants should not be mixed.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/235/mixing-lubricating-oils

The article is not specific to motor oil. If we're going to reference the professionals though, i'd counter by referencing almost every oil brand, oil jug label, and their websites...'compatible with all other API certified oils...' Or something to that effect.

My preference would be to mix within same brand or additive chemistry but that doesnt mean it's mandatory to do so.

Last edited:
The whole point of not mixing is that the API compatability hurdle is a very low one and Red Line isn't an API licensed oil anyway.
The comptability standard does not ensure that interactions between differing VIIs won't result in a significantly thicker oil then either consituent oil would be on its own.
Shannow posted a link to some actual lab work in which two different oils mixed together resulted in a blend with higher viscosity than either on its own.
Something to consider.

Valvoline: http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/

'Can you mix different types of motor oil? For example, synthetic and synthetic blend or regular and synthetic? Is this going to cause problems?
Mixing synthetic and conventional oils will not cause any problems. The oils are compatible with each other.'

Mobil1
: https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/product-faqs

Is it okay to mix conventional motor oil with Mobil 1™ motor oil?
Yes. Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. But the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it.

Quaker State
: http://www.quakerstate.com/#/car-care/myth-vs-fact

Myth:
You can't switch from synthetic oil to conventional oil or mix the two.
Fact:
You may interchange synthetic and conventional oil as long as the synthetic motor oil product and conventional motor oil product meet the viscosity and performance requirements outlined in the vehicle’s owner’s manual. Synthetic blends, in fact, are a mixture of conventional and synthetic-base oils.

Originally Posted By: Amsoil
Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.

Originally Posted By: Mobil 1
the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it.

Originally Posted By: Pennzoil
It is advisable that you use the same oil for top-ups if needed, thereby giving you the best protection from the oil that you have chosen.

Obviously it won't destroy an engine, but PURPOSELY mixing oils cannot be ideal.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: tig1
Here is an excellant article that "Trav" posted today on why lubricants should not be mixed.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/235/mixing-lubricating-oils

The article is not specific to motor oil. If we're going to reference the professionals though, i'd counter by referencing almost every oil brand, oil jug label, and their websites...'compatible with all other API certified oils...' Or something to that effect.

My preference would be to mix within same brand or additive chemistry but that doesnt mean it's mandatory to do so.

It is not specific to PCMO, but it does mention automobile engine oil. The princeable is the same. The quality of a lubricant is diminished when mixing different brands and types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back