Indian Dark Horse Reveal on... Friday the 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMF [American machine and foundry] was founded in 1900 by Rufus Patterson in New Jersey. I can't find anywhere in it's history it was ever owned by the Japanese. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
AMF [American machine and foundry] was founded in 1900 by Rufus Patterson in New Jersey. I can't find anywhere in it's history it was ever owned by the Japanese. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us.

YOU ARE 100% correct! AMF, American Company BORN IN NEW JERSEY.
CLICK HERE.... AMF HISTORY

Sometimes I just got to wonder where people come up with this stuff, AMF ... as American as apple pie being accused of Japanese owned. Good god.

Last edited:
Spur, with all due respect, your statement below is utter nonsense and completely false.
I suggest you, yourself NEED TO DESPERATELY LOOK INTO THE HISTORY OF AMF since your whole statement is based on COMPLETELY FALSE information.
I provided that link in the post above.

and ... please, lets not discredit the O-N-L-Y surviving AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE COMPANY to weather all kinds of storms throughout its history and emerge, STILL AS THE SAME COMPANY. NOT JUST A NAME ...

...as HARLEY DAVIDSON SELLS MORE MOTORCYCLES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA OVER 600CCs THEN ALL MOTORCYCLE MAKERS IN THE WORLD COMBINED.

this quote below is utter nonsense and completely incorrect. Your comment is so off the wall incorrect, completely false Im just completely bewildered.

[/quote]

Don't forget that HD went bankrupt and was saved by AMF, a Japanese bowling ball company. HD was repurchased from them as they were about to end the brand. Actually the best motor HD has ever had was a result of this [censored] company, the Evo. Don't be so quick to think you are all that American made. Actually the Indian right now has a higher percentage of American made parts. Just like all those " American made" snobs with their HD sticker on their toyota truck.

I am fine with HD, but it's history is not all that pristine either. The Japs owned it at one time and saved it from ruin. Check you fork drain screw and you will see you need a 6mm on that Showa fork. No problem with HD, just a problem with some of the misguided attitudes who really don't know the history. [/quote]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Spur, with all due respect, your statement below is utter nonsense and completely false.
I suggest you, yourself NEED TO DESPERATELY LOOK INTO THE HISTORY OF AMF since your whole statement is based on COMPLETELY FALSE information.
I provided that link in the post above.

and ... please, lets not discredit the O-N-L-Y surviving AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE COMPANY to weather all kinds of storms throughout its history and emerge, STILL AS THE SAME COMPANY. NOT JUST A NAME ...

...as HARLEY DAVIDSON SELLS MORE MOTORCYCLES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA OVER 600CCs THEN ALL MOTORCYCLE MAKERS IN THE WORLD COMBINED.

this quote below is utter nonsense and completely incorrect. Your comment is so off the wall incorrect, completely false Im just completely bewildered.

Don't forget that HD went bankrupt and was saved by AMF, a Japanese bowling ball company. HD was repurchased from them as they were about to end the brand. Actually the best motor HD has ever had was a result of this [censored] company, the Evo. Don't be so quick to think you are all that American made. Actually the Indian right now has a higher percentage of American made parts. Just like all those " American made" snobs with their HD sticker on their toyota truck.

I am fine with HD, but it's history is not all that pristine either. The Japs owned it at one time and saved it from ruin. Check you fork drain screw and you will see you need a 6mm on that Showa fork. No problem with HD, just a problem with some of the misguided attitudes who really don't know the history. [/quote] [/quote]

Sorry, I may be wrong about AMF. Through the 70s and 80s they were struggling so much, it was hard to tell who owned them. My apologies. I have had HD for a long time, just tired of some of the attitudes of the newbies. Again, when I see an HD sticker on aToyota and then the guy the next day at the HD dealer is talking about non American bikes, I just shake my head. Either buy American or quite being a snob at the HDDealer.

Really happy that:

1. My new Indian is such a fantastic American made bike

2. HD owners seem to be really really intimidated.

It will be good for all of us.

Don't be overly bewildered about my being wrong, it happens all the time. Most on here are perfect and overly dramatic

Last edited:
For me its not really about buying American in as much as getting the most value for my hard earned dollar. If an American company can compete, I will then turn over my hard earned dollars for their product. To me the American Cruisers are the real deal.
To me, there are no real cruiser alternatives with the looks, quality, fit, feel and finish that I am looking for. I can for sure agree if one likes the looks of the Indian lineup it certainly seems like a nice well made bike.

When I compare dollar for dollar the value of a HD against the metric bikes (many of which I owned and were great bikes) to me personally they do not come close to my 2014 Road King as far as fit, finish and hardware. They were good reliable bikes but not put together like my RK. But to be fair, the metrics can be bought at much lower prices.

So with that said, at greater expense I feel like I am getting my moneys worth for that extra money I spent. I am leary about long term reliability but that goes with the territory, time will tell. Im one to appreciate the way things are put together and the HD is perfect for me.
Also for me personally, owner satisfaction plays a part for me as well and its kind of cool for me, as long as it doesnt let me down to be owning a HD.
Add to that the rock solid handling, smooth as butter throttle, ABS and ride, this bike has so impressed me. Now, it better be reliable. But I chose the HD on the merits of the bike.

Personally based on what you wrote, to me, it seems you have more of a thing against HD owners, not sure why, me personally I dont care what bike someone rides and I am thrilled your enjoying your Indian, we can all hope over time, it proves to be a good solid reliable bike, competition is good!
Intimidated? Not sure why someone would be, its a cruiser bike and I think, hands down the American companies hold this market. For the life of me, I do not know why an HD owner would feel intimidated maybe its just your perception?

Its not what you ride, its what you enjoy, to me that is what riding is about.

Last edited:
I am good with any bike. Nothing was directed at you personally. Don't know you well enough to do that, so would only be assumption.

I too am into value for money and I felt the Indian was a winner. Plus I have wanted one for many years.

Many folks seem to get there first HD and they suddenly think everything else is inferior.

Still can't stand to see a HD sticker on a foreign vehicle. Just seems contradictory to me. Especially with the attitudes that go with some.

I hope your HD is a good one. I have had many. The worst ne was a 1980 FXE (AMF). If you knew how to work on them a shovel was ok.

My 2005 Chevy Avalanche was built in Silao, Mexico. I guess I need to remove my HD sticker from the tailgate.

Yup. Government motors. My FORD was made in America and with no Obama money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spur
Yup. Government motors. My FORD was made in America and with no Obama money.

That's the lie that Ford desperately wants their customers to believe. While it's true they didn't take TARP bailout money, they DID take Government (Taxpayer) loans, to the tune of billions of Dollars.

That kind of dishonesty, puts an even worse taste in my mouth, than the TARP bailouts did.

Forbes

My Nissan truck was built in your home state....I'll just move my HD sticker from the foreign built Chevy over to the domestically built Nissan.

My Nissan truck was built in your home state....I'll just move my HD sticker from the foreign built Chevy over to the domestically built Nissan.

Cool. I will just keep my INDIAN sticker on my Ford. It is the bike with the highest percentage of AMERICAN parts.

And what is the name of the parent company of Indian....and where are they located?

How bout you answer that smart guy. It happens to be in America. As we use to say on the boats, you guys are easy.

And what is the name of the parent company of Indian....and where are they located?

Polaris Industries.

Medina, Minnesota.

It is all good guys. Just enjoy what you have. Be safe doing it.

Thats my point, they're both American made and I'm good with that. I would like to have a new Indian, but I recently retired and will keep on riding my 20 year old Harley. Indian has a new program going on where if you bring in one of your old Harley T shirts, they'll give you a new Indian T shirt...pretty cool.

Thats my point, they're both American made and I'm good with that. I would like to have a new Indian, but I recently retired and will keep on riding my 20 year old Harley. Indian has a new program going on where if you bring in one of your old Harley T shirts, they'll give you a new Indian T shirt...pretty cool.

Gman, that is great. I am about 4 years from retirement and I believe I just bought my last bike. Well maybe a trike at some point, but doubt I can afford one. Maybe have to build it. I got two tubs of Hd tshirts, gonna get in on that deal. I love HD, I really do. But, I am really liking this Indian. Time will tell, if it was a good investment.

Support American and our troops. Bomb the [censored] out of Isis. If you don't like this country get the F out. That includes many of our corrupt politicians. Go Navy!!!! And if you are here illegally, go home we got Americans who need a job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back