Nitrogen fill for $199

Status
Not open for further replies.
If O2 leaks out faster than N2 then sooner or later the tire would be nearly full of N2 with repeated topping offs of atmospheric air.

If you drive a really fast car or you are you're a very important person or a politician you should consider filling your tires with helium. There's no use resorting to halfway measures and settling for nitrogen. Nitrogen is so last year. Helium filled tires could make your car several grams lighter and could extend the life of your tires by a week or more. You dealer could set you up for less than a thousand dollars and assure you that you're doing the right thing.

Seeing Nitrogen runs about $12 for 255 cu.ft, I have decided to make a career change. Coming soon. Mike's nitrogen tire inflation.

@salv - Good for you - it's hard to believe there are still people who are STUPID enough to fall for this scam. Folks out there who are pro nitrogen for normal street vehicles need to do some research and educate themselves.

Last edited:
Wowzers, and the sad part is oblivious people will pay that..

Nitrogen fill up is less than $5 a tire at the walmarts around here...

In Las Vegas, most dealerships charge a $500 "Doc" fee. That's $500 for providing no service at all, as they don't even register the car for you. In light of that, $200 for air in your tires doesn't sound unreasonable, does it? Especially for something so rare and valuable as a Honda.

They aren't charging $200 for a nitrogen fill. It's just another $200 additional dealer markup (just like the Doc fee). Consider the nitrogen a form of lubricant to make the purchase procedure seem a bit less painful.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
In Las Vegas, most dealerships charge a $500 "Doc" fee. That's $500 for providing no service at all, as they don't even register the car for you. In light of that, $200 for air in your tires doesn't sound unreasonable, does it? Especially for something so rare and valuable as a Honda.

They aren't charging $200 for a nitrogen fill. It's just another $200 additional dealer markup (just like the Doc fee). Consider the nitrogen a form of lubricant to make the purchase procedure seem a bit less painful.

Exactly. It's a way to mark the car up while letting the customer think they are getting something in return.

For example...

Dealer A advertises an Accord for $23,499. No nitrogen, no gimmicks, just the Accord you want for $23,499.

Dealer B advertises an Accord with the exact same options for $23,199. The customer already thinks they are saving a lot because one car is "basically $23,000" and the other is "pretty much $23,500, which is like $24,000."

So of course, they go to the "cheaper" dealer first. And only then do they learn that the $23,199 Accord just had nitrogen put in its tires, and once it's in there they "can't take it out and have to charge for it."

The customer is already on the lot, already looking at the car, and already chomping at the bit to work out their payment and drive their new car home. Unless the customer is really ready to play hardball, they are unlikely to walk over nitrogen in the tires. Especially once the salesman explains it's less than a dollar a payment or whatever. Payments are how so much [censored] gets worked into new cars because of the "only this much more a month" thinking.

I bet the price for nitrogen fill they have listed in their service department is lower than whatever they put on the Monroney addendum.

I remember about 10 years ago I was browsing B-Series pickups at a Mazda dealer. They put a Monroney sticker addendum on all of the B-Series trucks that said something like "Import vehicle market adjustment" for $500. That $500 markup didn't even come with any feel good prizes...it was literally a case of adding $500 to the price because it's an import. The really funny part is, those trucks rolled off a Ford assembly line in Minnesota.

As someone once said...

Nitrogen has been proven to reduce those nasty deposits of cash in your wallet...!

Otherwise, not much benefit to the average motorist....save your $ and buy a decent tire gauge and a small home air compressor.

But, someone will say " ...airplanes and racecars use nitrogen...! "

Yes, airplanes with retractable landing gear are required to use nitrogen, as it is less likely to explode in cases where a tire / brake assembly gets superheated due to malfunction. Or, to minimize moisture in a tire, to avoid having that moisture freeze at super low temps seen at high altitude. Not really relevant to any cars I know of...

And, yes, racecars do often use nitrogen. Primarily as a means of reducing water vapour, and keeping heat expansion psi of the tire more consistent for handling purposes. And convenience.... just bring a large bottle of nitrogen to the track, and not worry about a compressor, or water vapour etc. Again, not really relevant to most daily drivers...

But, yes, nitrogen molecules are about 3 % larger than oxygen molecules, so tire pressure drops ever so slightly slower... CR found that nitrogen filed tires lost 1.3 psi less on average per YEAR.. yes, per year.

And the other mentioned benefit is less oxidation of the internal tire rubber, promoting longer tire life and safety. Great, except the rubber on the outside of the tire is still exposed to oxygen etc., and will dry out and crack regardless of what's inside the tire... and the tread usually wears out long before anything else matters anyway...

So, if nitrogen is free, great... !

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
So of course, they go to the "cheaper" dealer first. And only then do they learn that the $23,199 Accord just had nitrogen put in its tires, and once it's in there they "can't take it out and have to charge for it."

I bought 2014 Accord for my older daughter about 10 months ago, the dealer tried to charge paint sealant and fabric protection at about $1k, I told them to remove those or I walk(we were stand up and ready to walk out), they immediately told us they will not charge those add on.

When you encounter these charges, just be firm with them they will drop it.

Last edited:
"a kia dealer with the initials B D" in medina ohio had one with a 5000$ security system after giving you 6000$ for your hunk of junk car (drag it tow it drive it in)

it was basically a 25$ ignition interlock device.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
My local Honda dealer sells all its vehicles with nitrogen filled tires.

There may be some merit to nitrogen filled tires,but to pay $50 a tire for the benefit of nitrogen is absurd.

Do they also sell fabric protection and paint sealant at absurd price too ?

They have three "options" added to every vehicle. The $199 Nitrogen fill, $795 window etching,and one other I can't recall. Its not fabric or paint protection though.

Exactly...

The dealer adds on a bunch of garbage knowing that 1/2 the people will never pay it... and they won't lose a deal over low cost stuff. They may be a little stubborn, to test you... but they will give in quickly if a deal is slipping away.

But, they know the other 1/2 WILL pay...

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

I walked out of a dealer on Sahara that wouldn't waive this fee. Found one up in Centennial Hills that had no problem lining out that scam fee.

And only then do they learn that the $23,199 Accord just had nitrogen put in its tires, and once it's in there they "can't take it out and have to charge for it."

How many of those dealers pulling this scam even do anything with what the tire is inflated with, other than changing the valve caps to green (if even that)?

Originally Posted By: weebl
And only then do they learn that the $23,199 Accord just had nitrogen put in its tires, and once it's in there they "can't take it out and have to charge for it."

How many of those dealers pulling this scam even do anything with what the tire is inflated with, other than changing the valve caps to green (if even that)?

That comes down to the tech and how mad they are about doing a PDI and if they get paid flat rate to do it. These "extras" don't cost the dealer hardly anything. They will check your nitrogen level daily and top off if needed for free if you just buy the [censored] car.

The crazy part is how pointless this [censored] is...when is the last time the police found a stolen car and made everything right because the VIN was etched in the windows? Either the car is found (probably trashed), or it's gone for good at the bottom of a body of water or in another country. Either way, if it's new it should be insured for that.

This stuff is crazy, but like someone else said, 1/2 will eat it up.

What I find funny about the whole debate is the permeability of tyre is related to the partial pressures of the gasses inside and outside.

30 psi (gauge) tyre, there's about 45 psi inside the tyre, and 15 outside.

On air which means that there's (about)
36 psi of Nitrogen inside the tyre, and 12 psi outside the tyre...24psi difference, and the leakage of Nitrogen is related to that 24psi.
9 psi Oxygen in the tyre, and 3 outside the tyre...6psi difference, and the leakage of oxygen is related to that.

On (pure) Nitrogen, there's about
45 psi of Nitrogen inside the tyre, and 12 psi outside...33psi driving Nitrogen leakage.
And funnily
0psi Oxygen in the tyre, and 3 outside, so the propensity is for oxygen to leak INTO the tyre...

partially negating all your "no oxygen degradation" benefits

Originally Posted By: Shannow
What I find funny about the whole debate is the permeability of tyre is related to the partial pressures of the gasses inside and outside.

36 psi of Nitrogen inside the tyre, and 12 psi outside the tyre...24psi difference, and the leakage of Nitrogen is related to that 24psi.
9 psi Oxygen in the tyre, and 3 outside the tyre...6psi difference, and the leakage of oxygen is related to that.

45 psi of Nitrogen inside the tyre, and 12 psi outside...33psi driving Nitrogen leakage.
And funnily
0psi Oxygen in the tyre, and 3 outside, so the propensity is for oxygen to leak INTO the tyre...

Interesting explanation. Takes a long time for oxygen to migrate back into the tire. Water vapor can migrate back into the tire also. No scientific explanation, but moisture outside the tries to equalize with the dry air in the tire like a wick. I've been inflating tires for 10 years with nitrogen. Believe it or not, it is better than wet compressed air. Slows rim corrosion, and pressures stay equal tire to tire. Yes it varies with temps, and the nitrogen in my tires get replenished when the weather gets cold. Not for everyone, but there is no way compressed air is better than nitrogen. There is no benefit for excess water, or oxygen in a tire, your shock absorbers etc., or a bag of potato chips.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

And funnily

Could you help my grandson with his Science8 homework? Haha

The local Toyota dealer sticks all kinds of useless [censored] on their window stickers, and than claims its a Toyota we never bargain. I have seen $49.99 for nitrogen tires...

OTOH they are still in business but I guess that can be attributed to the Northeasts near worship of Japanese cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back