Titanium in motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a little while, it seemed like titanium would be the next big thing. But it looks like it's not really taking off. As far as I know, there are three brands that use it. Kendall, which features it in a number of oils, Castrol Edge, and Mobil Super 5000. Kendall seems to add around 100 ppm, and Mobil Super 5000 has just a pinch - 33 ppm or so. Interestingly, Mobil Super HM doesn't have it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have two cases of Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic waiting to go into my engine. I plan on doing a UOA on the second fill and am interested in seeing if the Moly/Titanium combination helps put up good UOA numbers. When I change my current fill (PP) I'm going to pull a sample so I can compare it to the Kendall UOA when I get that done.

I know Kendall and MS5k put up really good UOA numbers, not sure how much of that can be attributed to the Titanium though.

As for Castrol, I haven't paid much attention to its UOAs, let alone distinguishing between UOAs from Castrol with Titanium vs Castrol without Titanium.

I also have a case of Kendall 0w-20. My Impreza has had a steady diet of it since the 2nd change. I think it is really good, pretty much like every other mainstream oil out there.

Cant use UOA to judge overall engine wear and estimate MTTF. HIGHER numbers could evidence extensive EP protection, whereas UOA with LOW numbers could have LARGE metal particles in the sump pickup and in the filter.

Is the old Castrol Edge 5W50 "classic car" formula the same as the newest 5W50 titanium formula? Wonder if the new version has the high zinc the old one did?

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
What about the high Boron level? I have heard and read here that its good for short trippers?

Short trippers = high moisture. Boron has problems with high moisture.

I'm using Kendall 5w30 blend. So far, my engine seems to be liking it. It has cured the clackety-clack at startup, anyway.

By this highly empirical evidence, I can declare with 100% scientific certainty that titanium is the best additive ever.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
By this highly empirical evidence, I can declare with 100% scientific certainty that titanium is the best additive ever.

Yeah! In the true spirit of BITOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back