Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. sheet of ice flew off a semi

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the way to work a large sheet of ice flew off a tractor trailer and hit the hood of my car and put a nice dent in it. #$%$$!! Sick of this weather!!! It was so loud i thought it cracked my windshield.
mad.gif

I have to vent. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mark his license plate and call it in?

I saw a driver with only most of his/her windshield cleared, snow blizzarding off as he/she drove...

I thought that it was illegal in some of the NE states to drive a vehicle with ice on top for that very reason (not that I have not seen it happen all the time when I am there)?

No because the road came to a fork and I was going to the right and he was going to the left so there was no way I could get it. It was a freak incident. So annoyed. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I thought that it was illegal in some of the NE states to drive a vehicle with ice on top for that very reason (not that I have not seen it happen all the time when I am there)?

It is.

I have watched the state troopers make a lady in heels and no jacket clean the roof of a car and back window with her hands while he say in cruiser idling. Her snow/ice was flying off and hit his car!!

Also had a 18 wheeler that shooting ice all over for same reason but not hit. I called 911 and state highway patrol nagged the driver who passed me and say the highway patrol with finger pointing etc. Guess his hurry got slowed down....

Here's how it is in MA:

“Police often see large chunks of ice and snow fly off, and people have been hurt,” said Massachusetts State Police spokesman, Trooper Todd Nolan.

Nolan said failure to remove snow from the top of a vehicle could result in a $35 citation from an officer, and in some cases, if shards of hardened snow and debris lead to an accident, or damage another vehicle, criminal charges could apply.

“If you do cause a crash, you are ultimately responsible and can be held accountable,” said Nolan.

Nolan said such a scenario would be a criminal offense, and could land an operator in court.

Each case is different, however, and Nolan said officers determine if a driver is at fault on a case-by-case basis, using their own discretion.

While there is no official state law specifically about removing snow from the top of a car or SUV, State Police said there are applicable rules within the Massachusetts General Laws that can be applied to each instance.

He said there are “impediment violations” and other laws that are “open to interpretation.”

“There is a reasonableness factor,” said Nolan.”

I have had that happen and got the trucks license number and puco number off the side cab door. Contacted the carrier and their insurance bought me a new windshield.

I was driving our new Frontier just after we got it. Got right behind a a septic truck pulling a small tractor with a bucket. A rock came off the trailer and cracked our windshield. I got the name of the company, and the license tag, and reported it to our insurance company. They were not interested. We had to pay for it ourselves since the replacement was just short of what our deductible was. Never wasted my time contacting the company who owned the truck. It was what it was and I let it go at that. Frustrating.

Same thing...friend's daughter...Nissan Versa

Icy sheet missed hood...missed windshield...hit and broke the black plastic cowl piece the wiper splines go through.

Sorta lucky I suppose.

$145 part. I want 360 degree dash cams.

NH oddly more stringent(no helmet or seatbelt law except children). You don't live free and kill others.

New Hampshire State Police tell us they have pulled over dozens of people this winter for not cleaning off their cars. Drivers will be fined $250 to $500 for the first offense and could lose their license after subsequent offenses in a recent law called Jessica's Law.

A poor girl named Jessica died in a car accident in NH 16 years ago when a 9-foot piece of ice flew off a tractor-trailer and hit a box truck which hit her car.

I feel that drivers of personal vehicles have no excuse for this. But what can a truck driver do to clear snow/ice accumulation on the top of his trailer after an over-night break at a rest stop?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I feel that drivers of personal vehicles have no excuse for this. But what can a truck driver do to clear snow/ice accumulation on the top of his trailer after an over-night break at a rest stop?

The trailer just need to be designed to make it easily done by the driver... Its not rocket science, a ladder and a fall arrest system on top of the trailer. Maybe $1 or 2k to do?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The trailer just need to be designed to make it easily done by the driver... Its not rocket science, a ladder and a fall arrest system on top of the trailer. Maybe $1 or 2k to do?

I don't see why truck stops don't have an appropriate way to deal with this.

Extension ladder and $25 snow shovel.....

Reality is the issue is when a trailer is picked up that has been sitting for a while with some freeze/thaw cylces. Not a fresh dump of snow that the wind will clean off if driven right away if snow is not too wet.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You won't find me 14ft up on top of an ice covered trailer.
Nope, not gonna happen. Especially with a ladder sitting on ice covered ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back