Amsoil HDD on 91 Dodge Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck was run on 15w40 all its life.

Motor, turbo & injectors/injector pump were disassembled, cleaned and put back together at 83k miles along with a frame up restoration, tranny, transfer case, axles, brakes, cooling system etc.

Now has Amsoil HDD 5W30 with Amsoil EaO80 filter & Donaldson air filter for about 5k miles. No make up oil was used.

MILES ON SAMPLE: 5122
MILES ON TRUCK: 88484
IRON: 11
CHROMIUM: 1
NICKEL: 0
ALUMINUM: 2
COPPER: 8
LEAD: 5
TIN: 0
CADMIUM: 0
SILICON: 4
SODIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 2
MOLYBDENUM: 0
BORON: 0
MAGNESIUM: 29
CALCIUM: 3865
PHOSPHORUS: 1234
ZINC: 1508
FUEL: .2%
VIS @ 100 C, cSt 11.59
WATER: 0
TBN: 10.42
OXID: 7.0
NITR: 6.0
SOOT: .1%

The tbn tells us the oil has lots of life left in it . Yes and the ppms of metals etc. are very low.

Whoa!

That was a monumental waste and causes me to question a persons sensibilities
Why you may ask?
Because perfectly serviceable oil was drained and perfectly serviceable oil went back in,so for the 50 or 60 bucks you spent you gained nothing.

Now I've got a bit of a disclaimer here. Was the engine rebuilt. And if so have the short interval runs been done yet to assure proper break in wear flushing from the oil circuit.
If it's already had its washout oil changes then yes this interval is absurd and I am forced to write this comment.
If it was the washout oil that brings up even more questions to me and I think it is best to move on.
Anyways Amsoil certainly does well in diesels. They easily exceed their 25000 mile guarantee using that stuff and iirc I saw one with something like 42000 miles on it iirc and the oil still had life left,so it's certainly a capable product however if you insist on running absurdly short intervals like this one use the cheapest delo/rotella/Devlac you can find stamped with the right spec.
At these short miles you aren't pushing even a common conventionals abilities thus any cost incurred over and above the cost of the least costly option is money 100% wasted.
And there is no real world data proving synthetics reduce wear vs conventionals when the conventional interval is followed for both products,so your engine is going to wear in the same manner for 5000 miles no matter if the oil is syn or mineral.
Syns do their best work at extended intervals because their are formulated with compounds and elements that reduce the impact that oxidation,heat,etc has on the oil which translates to an oil which remains serviceable for significantly longer than is commonly believed it's conventional counterpart can so this translates to less maintenance and a cost savings.
In a diesel I think it's prudent to do used oil analysis due to the big sumps most are equipped with. When you have that much volume of lubricant you need to insure that the oil reaches predetermined condemnation levels before changing it. Its irresponsible to not monitor in this fashion with heavy duty Diesel engines. When efficiency is job 1 every there can be no inefficiencies. No wasted steps. No wasted oil.
Changing oil too soon not only costs money in that the dollar spent per mile increases on the useable oil life there is also the parasitic costs such as labour and parts,not to mention what they find while inside.
And early oil changes increase labour,parts and oil and all of this compounds as a cost which takes away from the bottom line and returns no gain whatsoever.
Basically it's money you set on fire.

Read the first post.

Engine was taken apart, cleaned, checked for tolerances & reassembled using new gaskets, seals, O-rings etc. Not rebuilt, not machined,no new bearings, no new hard parts, but reassembled.

Run for 300 miles or so with 3 gallons of some unused 20 year AMO & a Wix oil filter I had lying around. the drained AMO went into my oil furnace.

Then refilled with the Amsoil HDD & a new EaO80 filter spun on.

5000 miles later - oil sample. The same HDD, filter & some top up oil will stay in the motor for at least a year more.

Not an oil change.

My first oil analysis in 25 years.

I can try to find the 300 mile old Wix filter & send you the quart of used oil in a convenient applicator tube, shipping's on me.

My money, my matches.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Whoa!

That was a monumental waste and causes me to question a persons sensibilities
Why you may ask?
Because perfectly serviceable oil was drained and perfectly serviceable oil went back in,so for the 50 or 60 bucks you spent you gained nothing.

Now I've got a bit of a disclaimer here. Was the engine rebuilt. And if so have the short interval runs been done yet to assure proper break in wear flushing from the oil circuit.
If it's already had its washout oil changes then yes this interval is absurd and I am forced to write this comment.
If it was the washout oil that brings up even more questions to me and I think it is best to move on.
Anyways Amsoil certainly does well in diesels. They easily exceed their 25000 mile guarantee using that stuff and iirc I saw one with something like 42000 miles on it iirc and the oil still had life left,so it's certainly a capable product however if you insist on running absurdly short intervals like this one use the cheapest delo/rotella/Devlac you can find stamped with the right spec.
At these short miles you aren't pushing even a common conventionals abilities thus any cost incurred over and above the cost of the least costly option is money 100% wasted.
And there is no real world data proving synthetics reduce wear vs conventionals when the conventional interval is followed for both products,so your engine is going to wear in the same manner for 5000 miles no matter if the oil is syn or mineral.
Syns do their best work at extended intervals because their are formulated with compounds and elements that reduce the impact that oxidation,heat,etc has on the oil which translates to an oil which remains serviceable for significantly longer than is commonly believed it's conventional counterpart can so this translates to less maintenance and a cost savings.
In a diesel I think it's prudent to do used oil analysis due to the big sumps most are equipped with. When you have that much volume of lubricant you need to insure that the oil reaches predetermined condemnation levels before changing it. Its irresponsible to not monitor in this fashion with heavy duty Diesel engines. When efficiency is job 1 every there can be no inefficiencies. No wasted steps. No wasted oil.
Changing oil too soon not only costs money in that the dollar spent per mile increases on the useable oil life there is also the parasitic costs such as labour and parts,not to mention what they find while inside.
And early oil changes increase labour,parts and oil and all of this compounds as a cost which takes away from the bottom line and returns no gain whatsoever.
Basically it's money you set on fire.

I, too, thought it was an OCI.

I guess this is a note to all of us ...
- Those who post need to be clear about what was done, so that missing info does not allow such assumptions.
- Those of us who read, we should ask before we assume (and I'm as bad as anyone else regarding this).

Oil looks good; continue the run!

Just curious why an 83k mile Cummins had to come completely apart?

Last edited:
Boredom :)

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Just curious why an 83k mile Cummins had to come completely apart?

Here's a minor update - finally got around to installing an oil pressure gauge on this motor.

I have been told that a 5W30 is way too thin to run year round in a Cummins, but I hear the 5W30 HDD is a well thought of 100% synthetic CI+4 diesel oil.

Cold idle - 65 psi

Hot idle - 32 psi

Hot cruise - 50 psi

Numbers look good to me even though the oil pours & drains pretty thin.

The numbers are well over the minimum suggested by Cummins, but I reckon I'm still getting better flow than with a more viscous 15W40.

I don't know at what temps you're measuring the "cold" at, but I presume the "hot" is simply up to full operation.

I see similar numbers with my dino Rotella in my Dmax. Generally, the pressures you're seeing are pretty normal to any healthy diesel. Mine are very much rpm dependent as well.

Last edited:
Cold temp about 60F (heated barn).
Hot temp cruise & idle - after a 230 mile light load run at 70mph in about -20F ambient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back