Centigrad to Fahrenheit made easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would share. Tis is from my owner's manual from one of the motorcycles I had. Serves me well when loosely conveting these two.

0C----------30F. Easy right, water freezes
10C--------50F
20C---------70F
30C---------90F

I dont think it is really useful for any other temps, but this was used as a visual for an oil viscosity calculator and I remembered it easy. Its not as accurate as remembering 62mph = 100kph but has proven useful and easy to use.

I was in my early 20's when we converted to metric - it makes so much sense to the brain to have a temp scale based on the freezing and boiling temps of water, water is something we are in contact with every day. I don't even bother to convert, if stuff is written in Fahrenheit I just ignore it.

C x 1.8 + 32 = F
(F - 32) / 1.8 = C

I memorized them a long time ago. Im slowly getting better with C but sometimes I still have to convert to get the real picture.

Last edited:
Fits the "double it and add 30" adage I grew up with. And yes, 0 to 100 makes a heck of a lot more sense than 32 to 212.

John

There is also the easiest conversion - -40°C = -40°F.

I have grown up in a metric world, but with imperial parents. I can work naturally in feet or metres, miles or km, pounds or kg but I still struggle with °F. I know the basics and I know how to convert, but I can't get a feel for it.

Also, this concept of the 'cup' measure in cooking... please, join us in the 21st century won't you?!

ucOQh.jpg

I cant even be bothered with Fahrenheit, inches, feet, pounds, ounces, quarts, gallons.
Its way too complicated. I just ignore it and go right for the metric.

This thread reminds me of the first time I ever went to Canada. My friend was driving and we were on the QEW headed to Toronto. The OPP pull us over for speeding and my friend gets into an argument because we were only going 85 and the speed limit was 100.......
crackmeup2.gif

The cop is rolling his eyes and probably thinking "how did I get these two dumb [censored] Americans?"

I think we were 17 or 18 at the time. He did let us go and told us to study the metric system.

Last edited:
Quick and easy conversion from C to F temps, which gets pretty close= C X 2 + 30 degrees ( e. g. 20 C = 20 x 2 + 30= 70 F ).

Reversing it from F to C = F - 30 then / 2 ( e.g. 70 F -30 /2= 20 C ).

Again, at most normal temp ranges, you will get pretty close...very simple math. After you do the conversions a few times each way, it is easily remembered.YMMV

(Sorry, I missed John_K's post above where he offered this formula as a textual phrase. I haven't had my coffee yet.)

Last edited:
I have come to the cross roads of who cares, I walk outside and figure what to wear, if its cold, put on warm clothes, if its really really hot, underwear only...I dont wanna scare the cattle.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I cant even be bothered with Fahrenheit, inches, feet, pounds, ounces, quarts, gallons.
Its way too complicated. I just ignore it and go right for the metric.

I think I've got all the common conversion factors roughly memorized now. Our grocery stores like to mix lbs and kg to price things, so its handy to know that much atleast.
Really the only time I worry about Fahrenheit is on BITOG, so I can brag about how cold a real cold start is!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: John_K
Fits the "double it and add 30" adage I grew up with. And yes, 0 to 100 makes a heck of a lot more sense than 32 to 212.

John
except that the scale has fewer divisions.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Just thought I would share. Tis is from my owner's manual from one of the motorcycles I had. Serves me well when loosely conveting these two.

10C--------50F
20C---------70F
30C---------90F

I dont think it is really useful for any other temps, but this was used as a visual for an oil viscosity calculator and I remembered it easy. Its not as accurate as remembering 62mph = 100kph but has proven useful and easy to use.
0 C is 32 degrees F.

Last edited:
You missed a pertinent one - 37 98.6

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
C F

0 32
5 41
10 50
15 59
20 68
25 77
30 86
35 95
40 104

Edit ....... Sorry about no spaces... The iPad thinks it is smart.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

10C--------50F
20C---------70F
30C---------90F

It's going significantly off by 30 C. I think better is use 10C = 50F as a reference and note that you change by 18F for every 10C (or 9 F for every 5 C) that you move from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back