is 10w30 considered heavy duty or similar HDEO ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's apples to oranges, but since they fill semi motors with 1030 oils would that make, or dare I say, (prove), that running 1030 in any gas engine is more protection then you'll ever need? Our air cooled pressure washer runs on 1030. (But I put 1540 in it) which may be senseless.

If my truck says 530 then is 1030 more then the motor will ever need during its writing career?

I never thought that Semi's used a HDEO 10W30. I thought they almost always used a 15W40 or heavier 20W50.

Heavy Duty Engine Oil(HDEO) 10W30 compared to Passenger Car Motor Oil(PCMO) 10W30 oils are different. HDEO's are also labeled as "C"(CE, CF etc.) for commercial use

The HDEO would have additive for better "Soot Control" and probably WILL NOT be "Energy Conserving" compared to a PCMO.

Therefore, the HDEO may also be a bit heavier in it's cST measurement(a heavier weight(ed) oil) but, still a 10W30 by definition & spec range!

IDK if I said that right! Others will chime in with more/better information. But, the HDEO would/could be more protection than needed(if that's even possible!).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I never thought that Semi's used a HDEO 10W30. I thought they almost always used a 15W40 or heavier 20W50.

Heavy Duty Engine Oil(HDEO) 10W30 compared to Passenger Car Motor Oil(PCMO) 10W30 oils are different. HDEO's are also labeled as "C"(CE, CF etc.) for commercial use

The HDEO would have additive for better "Soot Control" and probably WILL NOT be "Energy Conserving" compared to a PCMO.

Therefore, the HDEO may also be a bit heavier in it's cST measurement(a heavier weight(ed) oil) but, still a 10W30 by definition & spec range!

IDK if I said that right! Others will chime in with more/better information. But, the HDEO would/could be more protection than needed(if that's even possible!).

Not really significant, but I thought the 'C' in ratings stood for compression, as in compression ignition/diesel engines. Much in the same way the 'G' in the ratings stands for gasoline.

Last edited:
That makes sense. I was just looking at the weight itself, like my motorcycle claims 2050 or 1540, it doesn't say (but hdeo 2050 or 1540 ) even though that's what it is

If it says 5w30, use 5w30. If it is under warranty, definitely go with the recommended spec.

As for HDEO, yes my PSD 6.0 use 10w30 for their transit use. Big-rig have it easy compared to my diesels.
wink.gif
Heck, the PSD sheers down heavier oil anyway. The key for a lot of those high-milers is that you do your scheduled PM and repair.

Using a HDEO is ok (dependent on vehicle) because most are spec-ed for some type of gas usage. I think my Shell T5 is listed as CJ-4 and SM, Since I bought it for $5 a gallon a while back, it goes into my beater('99 Subaru which has 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40 as approved oils). However, I often split it with a 5w20 so that it is not wasting too much energy in the winter and so I can get a little extra seal-swelling additive. I used HDEO because it was cheap and a SM oil is above what is recommended for a 1999 SJ spec-ed engine.

If you think you will get "better" protection by switching to a HDEO, that is not really in the cards. At best, it would be a frog-hair benefit. Really the formula is designed to prevent oil deterioration from diesel exhaust/byproducts. If your truck is a 5w30 Dexos engine, then using a SM rated HDEO might work against your goals. It would not hurt, but likely would not help.

So let's shy away from the hdeo part of my question. Would running walmart 1030 in my truck (which says 530 on the cap, and was said to also run on 520 4 years later) would that be the most protection the motor would ever require in its working life ?

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
So let's shy away from the hdeo part of my question. Would running walmart 1030 in my truck (which says 530 on the cap, and was said to also run on 520 4 years later) would that be the most protection the motor would ever require in its working life ?

I am in the "skool" that says thinner is better for most "regular" commuting needs. If you are going to trackdays, doing a lot of high-temp towing, or other extreme driving, then you can play with the higher weight oils. Otherwise, I want my oil as thin as possible at start-up. Sure, even a 0w20 will not be thin enough, but if I had the option for a 5w20, that would be my pick. You are not going to see any significant (even small) difference in protection between 5w20 or 10w30. Actually, neglecting an oil change once for way to far would do more that a weight difference used over the life of the vehicle. Still, if you want the 'most', stick with the engine oil the makers engineered their engines around and use a higher-quality oil. Then again, you can make it to 400K+ with store-brand oil if you do the PMs and have no resistance for repairs.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Not really significant, but I thought the 'C' in ratings stood for compression, as in compression ignition/diesel engines. Much in the same way the 'G' in the ratings stands for gasoline.

Well, I won't tell you that "C" doesn't stand for compression but, I have never know this to be! This is a quick piece that I found on a site that explains some of the oils lettering.

In the top part of the donut the words “API Service XXXXX” (5) indicate the type of engine and performance the oil provides. API Service SN the current rating means “S” for Service Station oil (for gasoline engines) and N the current level of service. Or it will say “API Service CJ-4.” API service CJ-4 means “C” for commercial engines (diesel engines) and J-4 where J is the current performance level and 4 indicates a 4-stroke diesel (a 2 will be used for 2-stroke diesel engines).

Here's the link:

http://www.pennzoil.com/learn-about-motor-oil/types-of-oil-and-recommended-use/

Last edited:

Living in AZ, 10w30 in it truck will protect your engine just as good if not better than 5w. I would absolutely use 10w30.

Since you are in Arizona you won't notice the difference between 10w and 5w unless you drive to the top of a mountain and start your truck at 4:30am. Then you will notice your cold cranking rpms increase by 2.
grin.gif
I would recommend a 0w30 oil...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Yes the "c" stands for "Compression ignition". A 10w30 used in a diesel needs to be a hdeo oil. Not any old " sn" on the shelf.

Once again, I'm not disagreeing with anyone here, I just haven't heard that "C" stands for compression. Here's another API site which reads:

The top of the Donut shows the oil's performance level for gasoline and/or diesel engines. The letter "S" followed by another letter (for example, SM) refers to oil suitable for gasoline engines. The letter "C" followed by another letter and/or number (for example, CI-4) refers to oil suitable for diesel engines. These letters officially stand for "Service" and "Commercial." The current API performance categories that can appear in the top part of the Donut are listed in the API Motor Oil Guide.

And the link is:

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-o...i_quality_marks

Last edited:
in my girlfriends 14 malibu 2.4 DI engine the watery dexos spec was being consumed, 2 qts in 4,000 miles, not good for DI engines with deposit issues. enter a top shelf real synthetic 10-30 at her 5,000 change, have not needed any makeup oil since!!! those thinner oils sacrifice protection for a quarter MPG. in europe some of the same engines used in usa that recommend the x-w20 oils recommend 5w30 oils, go figure!! a 10-30 is better unless your in a very cold climate as less VII are needed unless its a real group IV - V synthetic oil

Originally Posted By: benjy
in my girlfriends 14 malibu 2.4 DI engine the watery dexos spec was being consumed, 2 qts in 4,000 miles, not good for DI engines with deposit issues. enter a top shelf real synthetic 10-30 at her 5,000 change, have not needed any makeup oil since!!! those thinner oils sacrifice protection for a quarter MPG. in europe some of the same engines used in usa that recommend the x-w20 oils recommend 5w30 oils, go figure!! a 10-30 is better unless your in a very cold climate as less VII are needed unless its a real group IV - V synthetic oil

"Those thinner oils sacrifice protection for a 1/4 mpg"

Do tell. Exactly where is there any real data(tear downs) proving that absurd comment.
If anything engines today in North America are lasting longer than they ever have with the use of "watery lubricants" so your comment is hogwash.
Even a 50 grade at 200f is very "watery" so what exactly are you implying with that nonsense.
I've tried to hate thinner oils however the evidence proves they are more than capable of doing their job in a typical North american application. To imply otherwise is nonsense and ignores the multiple millions of engines running flawlessly using it.
I'm all for 40 grades and use them in particular applications I deem it necessary but I haven't deluded myself into believing an engine will wear out faster using a lubricant specified by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back