Nitrogen fill for $199

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Honda dealer sells all its vehicles with nitrogen filled tires.

There may be some merit to nitrogen filled tires,but to pay $50 a tire for the benefit of nitrogen is absurd.

Costco does it for free. You buy your tires from them, and they'll fill them with Nitrogen, and will rotate and fill your tires for free for the as long as you own them.

$200 is just crazy for a dealership to charge. It's like when my local dealership had a coupon to change the cabin air filter for $90. I got a filter for under $20 and did it myself in 5 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
I can't help but wonder how many people get suckered in to this deal.

I think Nitrogen is a good idea, but it is indeed absurd to pay $50/tire. Some dealers offer it for free (like my local Toyota dealer) and I hear some Costco tire stores also offer it for free. I buy a small cylinder of Nitrogen which lasts me about a year (car, bike, etc.) and only costs about $20 to exchange for a full one when empty.

Here are my thoughts on the matter which I posted in another thread:

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: brslds
Change them over to nitrogen too.

"Regular..." air is almost 80% nitrogen already... and "pure..." nitrogen (not that your getting that...) still expands and contracts, and leaks, albeit ever so slightly slower...

Your tire pressure will still change with temp and time...!

You're right, air is 78% Nitrogen, but that's not why Nitrogen performs better in tires than air.

Virtually all air that is used to fill tires contains moisture - more or less depending on how the compressor is set up and how diligent the maintenance on it is. The time of year (ambient temp) and climate (humidity) can also affect the amount of moisture in air used to fill a tire.

Nitrogen, on the other hand, does not contain any moisture (OK, OK, way less - virtually none).

All gases expand and contract with changes in temperature. Most, including Nitrogen and Oxygen, both expand and contract about the same amount in accordance with the ideal gas law.

What does not expand and contract at the same rate is the moisture. Moisture (water vapor) expands about 7 times more than Nitrogen and Oxygen. It is the presence of moisture in the tire that causes exaggerated pressure differences when a tire heats up on the highway and cools down overnight in the winter.

Less moisture in a tire means less difference in pressure due to temperature.

The worst thing you can put in your tires is the air from a gas station - loaded with moisture.

So ... if you want the most consistent pressure in your tires over a wider range of operating temperatures, Nitrogen should be your gas of choice.

HTH

If it's free then yea. Shop nitrogen is from a nitrogen seperator that takes it from the air. Unless the Honda dealer has a contract with AirGas for pure or medical grade nitrogen with a huge autoclave (to remove atmospheric air, cuz those "bits" of air can affect purity) then they are just price gouging.

For the water issue for those anal guys use the paint shop air hookup. It's got more filtering and air drying desiccant than general shop air with a basic air/oil separator.

Last edited:
This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all day. $200 for N2 is out and out stealing from you.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
My local Honda dealer sells all its vehicles with nitrogen filled tires.

There may be some merit to nitrogen filled tires,but to pay $50 a tire for the benefit of nitrogen is absurd.

Do they also sell fabric protection and paint sealant at absurd price too ?

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all day. $200 for N2 is out and out stealing from you.

Yet these same $tealerships get indignant and offended when you call them what they are......"$tealerships".
crazy2.gif
smirk.gif

Here are my thoughts on the matter which I posted in another thread:

You're right, air is 78% Nitrogen, but that's not why Nitrogen performs better in tires than air.

Virtually all air that is used to fill tires contains moisture - more or less depending on how the compressor is set up and how diligent the maintenance on it is. The time of year (ambient temp) and climate (humidity) can also affect the amount of moisture in air used to fill a tire.

Nitrogen, on the other hand, does not contain any moisture (OK, OK, way less - virtually none).

All gases expand and contract with changes in temperature. Most, including Nitrogen and Oxygen, both expand and contract about the same amount in accordance with the ideal gas law.

What does not expand and contract at the same rate is the moisture. Moisture (water vapor) expands about 7 times more than Nitrogen and Oxygen. It is the presence of moisture in the tire that causes exaggerated pressure differences when a tire heats up on the highway and cools down overnight in the winter.

Less moisture in a tire means less difference in pressure due to temperature.

The worst thing you can put in your tires is the air from a gas station - loaded with moisture.

So ... if you want the most consistent pressure in your tires over a wider range of operating temperatures, Nitrogen should be your gas of choice.

HTH

All true and good, but there is nothing particular about nitrogen that makes it free from moisture - it is just the fact that during the processing and bottling, it is dried. If you used dried air then you would get the same benefits.

I have endless supplies of pure nitrogen at work and could fill my portable tank with it and take it home as many times as my heart contends.

However, given I've seen 40 year old vehicles with the factory wheels and the interior of the wheel is still SPOTLESS its hardly worth the time and effort. No matter what you do there will still be moisture and oxygen in your tires. How did you set the beads? How did you purge the existing air when you filled your tires with N2?

A fellow co worker does as I mentioned above and takes home a portable air tank filled with N2 every so often. He also has to periodically top his tires off when the temps fall below zero, just like the rest of us.

I simply use a good quality water separator on my compressor and regularly drain it and the tank.

My local Harley dealer will fill 2 motorcycle tires for $25 with free top offs if needed, for as long as you own the bike, even if you don't buy the tires from them. I haven't done it yet but have considered it.

As long as there are people foolish enough to believe that there is any real benefit to the average vehicle, there will be people who charge exorbitant amounts for nitrogen. Caveat emptor.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
As long as there are people foolish enough to believe that there is any real benefit to the average vehicle, there will be people who charge exorbitant amounts for nitrogen. Caveat emptor.

+1.

The only vehicle I have considered using the nitrogen in is the motorcycle I own. Considering how critical tire pressure is with a motorcycle, it might be worth the $25. Mine sits for weeks in the garage and I have to remove the right side hard bag to access the valve stem. I'll have a 45 degree valve stem installed in the rear wheel to make access easier the next time I have the rear tire replaced, but I think I'll still have to remove the bag to access the stem.

Last edited:
I work for a dealership that sells nitrofill for $49.99 per year. I refuse to make any effort to sell the service. If a customer requests it, I will sell it, but I am not going to lie to make money on a B.S. service with no benefits.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

Yet these same $tealerships get indignant and offended when you call them what they are......"$tealerships".
crazy2.gif
smirk.gif

May be a poor swap ( your $ for their nitrogen ) but it ain't stealing .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back