Magnatec at Walmart and VWB seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Walmart today to buy some oil for my gf's car. Bought a jug of Valvoline 10W30. While I was there I saw they're beginning to stock Castrol Magnatec. They haven't made a price point for it yet,there was just a few quarts in one of the Castrol High Mileage spots.

Upon taking the cap off the Valvoline jug,they now have a foil seal on them. My apologies in advance if this is old news :^P

3483e5i.jpg

2unuib8.jpg

Interesting. Same as gtx start up as it was called a while back?

I wonder if there are real studies on this stuff to prove claims. It might make sense for some of my cars that sit a lot.

I wish more oil companies would put the foil seal on their jugs of oil. I don't mind it not being there on the single quarts, but I wish it was on the larger jugs.

I wish pennzoil would seal their jugs better they always leak... I prefer buying oil jugs with double seals like valvoline max life atf they have 2 seals so you know it was not tampered with or leaked out that is why if you compare a few pennzoil oil jugs you will see them at different levels. Even the people at the parts stores dont like pennzoil because they leak everywhere!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I wish pennzoil would seal their jugs better they always leak... I prefer buying oil jugs with double seals like valvoline max life atf they have 2 seals so you know it was not tampered with or leaked out that is why if you compare a few pennzoil oil jugs you will see them at different levels. Even the people at the parts stores dont like pennzoil because they leak everywhere!

Sounds like [censored] to me, been buying Pennzoil at WM for the last 30 yrs and haven't had a jug or qt of oil leak on me
31.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting. Same as gtx start up as it was called a while back?

I wonder if there are real studies on this stuff to prove claims. It might make sense for some of my cars that sit a lot.

Kinda my thought for one of my cars as well...

Will be interested to see how they price point it...

I like that there is a foil seal under the cap. I sometime don't trust the bottle/jug if the "tamper ring" seem a bit loose, or well, tampered with!

Years ago, I bought a JUG of oil and the tamper ring seemed OK! ATMOF, I had no questions when I bought the JUG nor when I opened it at home while doing an OCI!

BUUUUUUUUUT!!! Someone pulled a fast one! And they put in dirty oil and returned the JUG that I bought! And, that person did a nice clean job of it!

Man, I had a hard time returning the oil and finally, the store excepted it and gave me my money back. But, it was tiresome! Good thing I had some extra oil in my garage. This was before I kept a stash(B/4 BITOG)!

I have seen this with oil filter too! Check the boxes guys! Make sure the correct filter & part# is correct!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Sounds like [censored] to me, been buying Pennzoil at WM for the last 30 yrs and haven't had a jug or qt of oil leak on me
31.gif

Of the 5 qts left in my stash, 2 of them always seep. No idea how as they are closed tight. Oh well, no biggie.

Can't wait for the jugs of Magnatec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Years ago, I bought a JUG of oil and the tamper ring seemed OK! ATMOF, I had no questions when I bought the JUG nor when I opened it at home while doing an OCI!

What does "ATMOF" mean?

Originally Posted By: sicko
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

What does "ATMOF" mean?

"As the matter of fact"!

I have seen it use plenty of time here at BOB's
smile.gif

Last edited:
I love the Valvoline seal... it's the best I've encountered so far.

Very easy to remove and always comes off in one piece.

Ok, just came back from WMart and purchased a 5qt jug of Magnatec. The pricing is the same for either, Full Synthetic 5w20 or Synthetic Blend 5w30 (only two vicosity available):

$20.83

...i bought the 5w20 for the 2.4's next oci.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I was listening to the "old time radio" channel on XM radio a couple weeks ago and it was a show from 1946 that was sponsored by Standard Oil. The announcer was promoting Chevron's RPM motor oil with it's "anti-skid" properties.

I don't remember if they mentioned "anti-skid" as an additive or just as a general description of the oil, but they promoted it as an oil that would prevent dry starts. Thanks to it's anti-skid properties it would cling to all engine parts.

"Anti-skid" just struck me funny for an oil ad.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Ok, just came back from WMart and purchased a 5qt jug of Magnatec. The pricing is the same for either, Full Synthetic 5w20 or Synthetic Blend 5w30 (only two vicosity available):

$20.83

...i bought the 5w20 for the 2.4's next oci.

Wooohooo!
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Glad to see it in jugs at Wally's, not thrilled about the over 2 dollar price hike over the Synblend though. At 20.83 for a jug the OCI specials the parts stores have been running are an even better deal than I thought. I was hoping for about 19 bucks a jug.

So a Magnatec user can either run an value priced full syn or a rather pricey blend. Hmmm.... I have two OCI's stashed so far of the blend. At the same price I may tinker with the 5w20 full syn later on.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If Castrol comes out with it in 10W40 I'll definitely give it a try.

I highly doubt it. 10w40 is old news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back