High levels of formaldehyde in hardwood flooring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody watch the 60 Minutes segment on very high levels of formaldehyde in hardwood flooring from China that sold at Lumber Liquidators ?

Some were tested and had 13 times the acceptable level of formaldehyde.

I just read about this. In the market for flooring and Googled Lumber Liquidators and it came up...

Research shows US made flooring is about the same price or not much more a sq ft so I'll probably go that route. Guess there is a class action for people that have to rip the stuff out, kinda like the Chinese drywall fiasco from a couple years ago.

I did not, but I saw that the LL CEO made some statement about bad news in an upcoming news segment, and there was a corresponding drop in their stock price.

Nope, I missed it, but I did dissect a frog in science class that sure smelled like formaldehyde, 59 years ago and I'm still here!

My floors are nearly 100 years old. Doubt there was any odd chemistry in them when they went down, and it sure isn't there now...

Why anyone would accept this sort of dumped trash in the interest of saving a buck, or turn a blind eye because people messed with this stuff long ago is beyond me.

The ones from China states (sticker on box) it meets California's CARB levels of formaldehyde, but they do not.

My house is 100% tile and really don't like wood flooring. I understand many Americans buy wood flooring from a price point / home improvement budget / remodeling costs.

But its more efficient to make stuff in china and businesses are in business to make a profit, not protect your lungs, so...

Not surprising. I always recommend airing out new construction over the warmer months to let out all the chemicals released from items such as carpeting, particle/flake board, construction adhesives, foam padding, paints, surface finishes, plastics, etc.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Anybody watch the 60 Minutes segment on very high levels of formaldehyde in hardwood flooring from China that sold at Lumber Liquidators ?

I have a pretty strong opinion on this laminate flooring. It's [censored]. If your going to put in hardwood floors, put in the real thing. I have a home built in 1914 (101 years) and the original flooring. Laminate will end up in the landfill in 20 years, gauranted.

Originally Posted By: philipp10

I have a pretty strong opinion on this laminate flooring. It's [censored]. If your going to put in hardwood floors, put in the real thing. I have a home built in 1914 (101 years) and the original flooring. Laminate will end up in the landfill in 20 years, gauranted.

I tend to agree with you. It's a price thing. Everyone these days wants the warm, rich look of hardwood floors. But no one wants to pay for it. So, they will live for today, and hope tomorrow will take car of itself.

China has different moral standards. None of the three shops had any problem relabeling inferior product, as meeting the California standard. Not to say that a North American manufacturer wouldn't do the same, but it seems much less likely.

A good 12mm AC-4 floating floor is very durable and an excellent option for a wood floor. Since I am putting it down on concrete, that limits my options for wood flooring and I am trying to avoid tile.

Well said.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
A good 12mm AC-4 floating floor is very durable and an excellent option for a wood floor. Since I am putting it down on concrete, that limits my options for wood flooring and I am trying to avoid tile.

We put hardwood in dry basements. We use a rubber backed wood panel that lays on the concrete.
Then nail to it

Done.

Did my first one 20 years ago. It's still there,no issues with it whatsoever.

But it's not cheap.

You all are worried about hardwood flooring, while most all of you buy Chinese whether you realize it or not.

Take a look at your clothing and electronics.

Check into the castings for your auto's.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
You all are worried about hardwood flooring, while most all of you buy Chinese whether you realize it or not.
Take a look at your clothing and electronics.
Check into the castings for your auto's.

the books i buy for my kids: since 2000-2001 a lot are not printed in USA anymore...[/OT]

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I put in Mannington 7 3/4" plank laminate flooring down 15 years ago. Its been used and abused its looks like new. Wouldn't have anything else. You literally can not scratch it with a screw driver unless you get totally wild. Put the DuPont stuff in a few years ago...its even better. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Short sellers are feeding at the trough.

+1

I'm glad I don't have any of that [censored] in my house.

What makes it [censored]? Is there a specific reason or is it just a desire for wanting something that isn't inherently fake?

I lean towards preferring hardwoods over laminate, but the price difference cannot be ignored. Because I'm not going to be in any house for 101 years, I don't think I much care what the floors look like at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back