Best Air Filter For A 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a pure one air filter in there now but i feel it is a little restrictive because at full throttle it seems a little bogged down although the oil is always super clean so it must be filtering really well maybe to well.
I was thinking Motorcraft or maybe even fram what does everyone else use in the 4.6 fords?

I've never noticed a difference with any filter I've used, but I've mostly used Purolator, Fram, and Wix air filters. If you're unhappy with the Purolator, try Fram or Wix (or NAPA Gold which are Wix filters). Fram also has a $2 rebate on their website, so that might make it the more affordable option.

i also have never noticed any performance difference between filters, but if you look at the construction of the filter the pure one is among the best built
the price of the filter usually means a better built one

Purolator PA24353

The P1 air filters are awesome. Cool blue color and they are lightly oiled.

You can get it at AAP. Order it online then with a discount code, and then pick up in-store
smile.gif

Amsoil has been clearing out their EA air filters for very good prices. I picked one up for my truck at around $19 shipping included. I think they're worth a try at that price. Everything I have read about them has been positive.

Since 1996, first on Mom's '94 Grand Marquis, & for years now on its replacement, the '08 Crown Vic, I've used Motorcraft, Wix, Fram, Purolator, & at least one house brand I can't think of right now. Other than a Pure One that may have been a little too restrictive, I noticed no real difference in using any of them. And while I *still* don't care for the Fram Orange Can Of Death oil filter, the Fram air filters always seem to look good & work very well. I'd say you're safe to buy whichever one is on sale, or what appeals to you. The standard orange-box Fram, bought at Wallyworld, is particularly co$t-effective. In short, IMO you can pay your money, take your choice & not worry about it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
There is a pure one air filter in there now but i feel it is a little restrictive because at full throttle it seems a little bogged down although the oil is always super clean so it must be filtering really well maybe to well.
I was thinking Motorcraft or maybe even fram what does everyone else use in the 4.6 fords?

It's hard to believe that your "seat-o-meter" is really giving good info as to how well your air filter is working ...

If it's truly "bogged down" then it's time to change. But to really know if this is true, you need to install a restriction gage; they are cheap from any source all over the net as well as can be ordered at any parts store. But to be "bogged down" there would have to be a SIGNIFICANT load in the filter, to a point where it would be considered negligence IMO. And, if it's dragging power down that much, you'd better change it ASAP because the filter will be compromised VERY soon by deformation or such.

I've used Purolator and Frams in my 4.6L 2005 and 2007 MGM. Never had an issue with them, and I let them go well past their "30,000" mile change because they are no where near loaded in my area at that duration.

Last edited:
I have a P1 in my Jeep now that I was able to get for around $20 at AAP. Construction wise, it seemed identical to Fram and WIX, but this one is oil coated. WM had some oil coated TG's, but the boxes looked like they fell off a boat and drifted in the ocean for a few months.

Fram is by far the cheapest and easiest for me to get locally. Plus as mentioned, they have their rebate.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

It's hard to believe that your "seat-o-meter" is really giving good info as to how well your air filter is working ...

If it's truly "bogged down" then it's time to change. But to really know if this is true, you need to install a restriction gage; they are cheap from any source all over the net as well as can be ordered at any parts store. But to be "bogged down" there would have to be a SIGNIFICANT load in the filter, to a point where it would be considered negligence IMO. And, if it's dragging power down that much, you'd better change it ASAP because the filter will be compromised VERY soon by deformation or such.

I've used Purolator and Frams in my 4.6L 2005 and 2007 MGM. Never had an issue with them, and I let them go well past their "30,000" mile change because they are no where near loaded in my area at that duration.

This. A restriction gauge will tell you immediately if this is a real issue or imagined.

Im with ya dude, those oiled P1s do bog down the midrange. Instead of the mentioned restriction gage, we need to dyno test it.

I mean, look at Fram. Their orange gasket AF traps twice the dirt of other filters. Ten the yellow pleated oiled filter traps twice that of the 2x orange gasket. Add it up for four times the dirt trappings, yet the only mention of hp and acceleration is that they say when you put in a new filter you get more of it/them.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Amsoil has been clearing out their EA air filters for very good prices. I picked one up for my truck at around $19 shipping included. I think they're worth a try at that price. Everything I have read about them has been positive.

Through what outlet are you all getting your AmsOil air filters from? If they are blowing them out, I'd like to snag one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back