salty floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC_0034_zpsxmaqufnr.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsp0dpaecb.jpg

DSC_0032_zpshcvul65n.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsouu7nohb.jpg

It has the consistency of dried potato flakes. Scrubbing with a handbroom, like a toothbrush, knocks it loose.

I dumped what I scraped outside, on some ice.
wink.gif

mop with vinegar.
you can play around with the concentration, but every product I've ever tried to get salt stains off shoes/carpets, etc, smells like vinegar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
mop with vinegar.

and clean up with french fries?
laugh.gif

When it heats up I'm going to douse with water and somehow squeegie it out the front door. But it'll probably soak into the concrete first.

Ugh, vinegar with fries. So glad when I left Maine and left that noxious smell behind.

You think those photos are bad, you should see how much salt is on my car. Ick. Just spent a week in Florida, and it was a bit of shock to see zero dirty cars there. No rust, no salt, just nice looking vehicles.

Weird.

Water vinegar and dish soap. Coat and suck it up with a wet dry vac. Will take multible gallons to dilute this up. If you get this all cleaned up a concrete coating might be the way to go.

Why vinegar? What advantage is there to using vinegar? It's not calcium deposits. Water dissolves salt just fine.

Yep, my garage floor looks about the same. Even better, the cheap "epoxy" a previous owner installed has come up, so the floor looks like junk. Guess who's re-coating their concrete in the spring...

Having dealt with this for decades, if it's a space you are going to keep parking in, you're doing all you can do. Sweep up what you can and hose the garage out when it's warm enough out. Assuming it's an unheated garage of course.

I've never had this type of mess not wash away with a simple hose and push-broom and/or squeegee job.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Why vinegar? What advantage is there to using vinegar? It's not calcium deposits. Water dissolves salt just fine.
Yep, good hot water is about the best thing to get rid of salt like that.

^ They like vinegar too! I may have to give this a shot when it warms up.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

This is a good thread topic and should be moved into the general section to get more exposure.

I, too, was curious why the chemistry of vinegar (acid) is recommended for salt stains on concrete. If you google the topic, there are quite a few links about cleaning efflorescence with a mild acid/detergent solution because efflorescence is basic (alkaline).

On the other hand, acid solution is used to etch concrete prior to applying protective coatings. Some links for efflorescence cleaning even recommended a flush with ammonia solution (alkaline) to neutralize your acid wash.

A quick Google search implies that road salts tend to be basic pH also.

The pH of the Salt Away concentrate is 6.2. Not very acidic, especially when diluted.

Any chemists here to substantiate this more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back