Noticing a trend on craigslist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thr_wedge
"ran when parked"
LOL That's my favorite, especially when it's parked on grass and they've been mowing around it for years.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: spackard
Even Cal Worthington didn't want to talk to me for under $3k, and that was 30+ years ago.

You have to get one for $1k down, and payments for several years.

Cal probably wouldn't even let you pet "Spot" for 3K.

smile.gif

Ed

I miss Cal. His commercials were the best. His old hold music is the song from the commercial in long form.

Back in the day (35 years ago - sheesh)
cool.gif
when i was a student at USC - Cal was a "guest lecturer" in one of my Business Marketing classes. I remember his lecture to this day - he was talking in that drawl of his - he said "theres only one thing to remember - for every seat there is an a**- you just have to find it". I'll never forget that.

My mom told me when she and my dad were first married and my dad was stationed at the Marine Corps base in Southern California in 1958 that Cal was on the black and white TVs back then. I still remember growing up listening to his commercials during reruns:

"This is my dog spot"....which could have been an elephant, donkey, cheetah, llama, or any of 50 other animals.

< singing......"if you're looking for the best deal by far....I will stand upon my head to sell a car....I will stand upon my head till my ears are turned red.....I will stand upon my head to sell a car....

Originally Posted By: Donald
If the owner knows the problems and its not too costly why doesn't he get it fixed before selling.

Buyer beware.

I have a Jaguar X-Type that needs a radiator. The car is worth, maybe $800. It's a very nice car, and I like it. However, it's not worth the $400 it would cost me to have the Rad replaced.

Hence, Craigslist.....

Many of the motorcycles, "just need a battery and a carb cleaning"

and they don't have a title.

They can't find the title but it will be just fine.
33.gif

Or Chinese 150cc scooters for $1000.
I can get one new for $750.

Or, it was "running perfect when I took it apart."

Sure it was. I always take my perfectly running engines apart and leave most of the parts in cardboard boxes on an apartment patio.

My favorites are, "It ran when it was parked 7 years ago" or "Project with patina" which translates into massive body rot.

On this site: http://www.thirdgen.org/ if it doesn't run right, regardless of whether it's ignition related or not, it's always timing.

15.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Many of the motorcycles, "just need a battery and a carb cleaning"

and they don't have a title.

They can't find the title but it will be just fine.
33.gif

Some states don't title older bikes. Heck, some states don't title bikes, period!

Quote:

No, you can't. A 50cc, maybe, but not a bigger one. (Cheapest I have seen was $899 plus shipping...and then you need to put it together when it arrives.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Quote:

No, you can't. A 50cc, maybe, but not a bigger one. (Cheapest I have seen was $899 plus shipping...and then you need to put it together when it arrives.)

CY150A NEW $749.00
http://www.dfwscootersandatvs.com/scooters.html

CY150A USED $1500.00
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/4850627356.html

You will have to pay TT&L and PDI on the $749. scooter, but I doubt it would come to $1500.

For a couple hundred more than $1500 you could get a very reliable used Genuine Buddy 125 (Taiwanese PGO) scooter.

My scooter will be 29 years old (from date of manufacture) this September. It has a title.

So what? So did my Qlink, so does my Burgman, so does my wife's Hyosung Comet and her Pacific Coast. My uncle's Shadow has a title, but his Yamaha triple doesn't, because THE STATE DIDN'T ISSUE ONE on a bike that old! (IIRC, the cutoff where it was tagged was 10 years.) There are fifty states, you only live in one!

Saw another one.
Went something like: "Ran until we took the heads off. Replaced the water pump."
???
The heads fell off when they replaced the W/P?
????

I bought my Ranger off craigslist with a lit CEL. Probably got a $1500 discount. Owner had it in the shop and the problem couldn't be found. He had about $2,000 in receipts on work that had just been done. I took it home and while it had me stumped for a little while I finally found the EVAP purge hose had come off the fuel tank. I snapped it back on and the truck has been trouble free in the last two years.
Years ago I bought a 65 El Camino that kept dying after work had been done. Paid $900 for it. Found that the coil wires had been swapped. Ran great after that for many more years.
They are out there. Just need to pick your battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back