cracked block Honda civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
How cold was it and how much ANTIFREEZE was in there?

I agree, leaking radiators cause blown headgaakets and cracked blocks. Cracked blocks don't leak exhaust, they leak coolant externally.

Last edited:
[All well and good, but this car is long out of warranty and Honda doesn't have to pay for anything.
Nice that they're willing to own up to a known problem and throw the guy a new engine.
They sure don't have to. [/quote]

Correct...and he doesn't have to continue to be a future Honda customer. I know of at least one American car company that could learn that lesson and maybe avoid bankruptcy...

Originally Posted By: philipp10

I know of at least one American car company that could learn that lesson and maybe avoid bankruptcy...

How does a Honda that has a catastrophic engine failure before 100k miles turn into a GM bash?

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I'm only pointing out that bad business practices lead to bad things.

Like building engines that don't make it to 100k? Got it.

your right I shouldn't be attacking GM. I guess they burned me so bad in the past that I cannot let it go. I need therapy.

This is not going to leak exhaust into the radiator.
2014-12-11_125916_08_civic_engine_block_leak.jpg

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
1) I'd love to hear by what mechanism a cracked block causes a cracked radiator?.

2) You have a 5+ year old car with ~100,000 miles. If Honda is going to goodwill a short block you should say thank you and be on your way.

IMO

My Honda dealer was wonderful on my first car 95 Civic. At 150k the radiator failed and dealer called me to say it was silly to pay $500 for Honda part and actually installed an aftermarket part for

If it cracks so that exhaust gets into the cooling system, it can overpressurize it and stress things out.

No.
Be happy they are replacing your block. 750 for a radiator is pretty pricey, but then again the dealer did it.

How much of that 750 is radiator replacement, and how much is it diagnosis? You MIGHT make a case for the diagnostics, but even then, the dealer has a right to be paid for their efforts.

I concur with the rest. First, if you think of it as $750 for a new engine + radiator, it's a screaming good deal. Second, I've never seen a damaged engine take out a radiator. If anything the pressure leak makes life easier on the radiator. I have seen busted radiators take out engines, though, especially head gaskets on iron/aluminum engines.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
How much of that 750 is radiator replacement, and how much is it diagnosis? You MIGHT make a case for the diagnostics, but even then, the dealer has a right to be paid for their efforts.

Concur HangFire. $750 at the dealer, this is how I see it.

So I figure 90 dollar for diagnosis. 350 for the parts. 250-300 for labor. Then you are in California Anti-freeze and disposal another 50 bucks. Sounds about right to me if you have the dealer do it.

You engine block did not ruin the radiator.

Last edited:
Holy [censored]. Is this $750 radiator for a Honda Civic or a BMW?

I say get the engine replaced at the dealer and find a local shop to do the radiator with an aftermarket replacement. The radiators are tiny in those things, and $750 is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I say get the engine replaced at the dealer and find a local shop to do the radiator with an aftermarket replacement. The radiators are tiny in those things, and $750 is ridiculous.

True.

Also, sometimes parts stores sell Denso, Koyo, and Calsonic radiators which may be the OEM part, but they charge far less for it.

depending on how the block cracked where at ect combustion gasses could have cracked it. how else can you explain a cracked block and radiator but never was overheated I assume. id request Honda to cover it all if it was me.

Great idea! Have a new engine installed then re-use a cracked radiator with God only knows what's in it and drive it God knows how far to get a radiator put in. Would you wait to have new coolant installed too?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Great idea! Have a new engine installed then re-use a cracked radiator with God only knows what's in it and drive it God knows how far to get a radiator put in. Would you wait to have new coolant installed too?

Well it sounds like his radiator is only leaking a couple drops. Big difference from a radiator that is pouring coolant out everywhere. In that case, yes replace it so the new engine won't overheat. That is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back