Anyone Running M1 ESP 5w30 in a gas engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious if anyone is running this oil in a gas engine to protect the catalytic converter. If so, any UOA's? Just curious how it is working out.

My first cats failed at 76k, and I think burning oil had something to do with it. I've got a Chrysler 3.8 in my Jeep that uses 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil every 1k miles, and I think it has something to do with it. These engines are notorious for consuming oil like that, but I've not heard much about people having cats fail with it. I can't help, however, but think it does indeed have everything to do with the short life on mine.

Anyway, I'm pondering what oil would provide the best combination of protection, low ash, and low consumption. Keep in mind, that anything I've run that's heavier than 5w20 has shown less consumption, so I at least want to run a 5w30. I'm currently running M1 0w40 Euro formula, and the engine feels nice and smooth with it (likely my imagination, though). I'm just concerned that it has higher ash content and may be detrimental to the life of the cats.

The engine runs beautifully, with no unusual noise, even when started cold at subzero temps. I couldn't be happier except for the *#&$ oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
And how much does it burn with it?

1/2 to 3/4 qt. per 1k miles. I've got a lifetime powertrain warranty, but they won't touch it until it burns 1qt per 1k. It gets close with 5w20, but not quite there.

I'm not overly concerned with the consumption, in and of itself, although it is an annoyance. My brother's 3.8 in his Town and Country ran over 200k consuming oil at about the same rate. He never went through cats, though. WHen he sold it, it still ran very well. My bother is wondering if it is why the cats failed before and if it will cause premature failure in them again, resulting in expensive repairs.

When it first started consuming, I replaced the PCV valve, and it reduced consumption of the 5w20 down to 1/4 qt per 1k. I just replaced it again a month ago, and it had no effect this time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
JHZR2 was running it in his Rabbit...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...t_5#Post1991290

To quote the late, great Leonard Nimoy, "Fascinating." One advantage to my Jeep's oil use, though, is that every 1k miles I'm getting 1/2 to 3/4 qt of new oil, so that would probably keep the TBN up, I'm guessing. ;-) Looks like everything else in that analysis was good. Also, I don't do short trips. My commute is 35 minutes, so my Jeep gets to full operating temp on most trips. Also, it doesn't spend much time idling. In terms of driving profile, it is probably as easy as it gets on oil.

So what protects the TBN in the 502 oils, the higher ash and such, or does the low SAPS 504 oil have lower TBN to start with?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
So what protects the TBN in the 502 oils, the higher ash and such, or does the low SAPS 504 oil have lower TBN to start with?

Low SAPS basically translates to lower additive package, which means lower starting TBN.

Oil doesn't hurt cats, it's not likes it hasn't already been burned, do all bitogers think the cat is made of toothpicks and the engine made of tinfoil?

I wouldn't spend money on a full synthetic with that consumption rate. Especially if you got a lifetime drivetrain warranty anyway. Feed it conventional or maybe a high mileage oil.

HM 5w-30 usually has a higher viscosity than conventional or synthetic 5w-30 so it may cut down on the consumption as well.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Oil doesn't hurt cats, it's not likes it hasn't already been burned, do all bitogers think the cat is made of toothpicks and the engine made of tinfoil?

Um...no. I'm saying I don't know. My mechanic (not the dealer) says he replaces Chrysler cats all the time because they generally suck, and doesn't believe the oil had much to do with it. Im really not sure what's going on with it. I've said it before, the 3.8 is known for using oil and may of them have a long life, anyway.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I wouldn't spend money on a full synthetic with that consumption rate. Especially if you got a lifetime drivetrain warranty anyway. Feed it conventional or maybe a high mileage oil.

HM 5w-30 usually has a higher viscosity than conventional or synthetic 5w-30 so it may cut down on the consumption as well.

Yeah, I may one day try it, but I like running synthetics. I get 5 quart jugs for about 24 bucks, so it really isn't that bad. If I do, I'll probably go with Pennzoil HM 5w30.

My dads 2000 Expedition 5.4L consumes conventional oil about 1 qt. every 1400 miles or so. Something like normal Mobil-1 every 1600 or so. I ordered some Amsoil ACD once to see how that'd do, since it's straight 30W rates at 10W-30. It went maybe 1700 or so. Back when Mobil-1 5W-30 ESP had somewhat sane prices at PepBoys, the only place that carries it around here, I figured I'd give it a try. That stuff went like 1900-2000 miles before needing a quart. Whatever it's made out of, at least in my dad's Expo, it certainly cuts down on the consumption.

Originally Posted By: chucky2
My dads 2000 Expedition 5.4L consumes conventional oil about 1 qt. every 1400 miles or so. Something like normal Mobil-1 every 1600 or so. I ordered some Amsoil ACD once to see how that'd do, since it's straight 30W rates at 10W-30. It went maybe 1700 or so. Back when Mobil-1 5W-30 ESP had somewhat sane prices at PepBoys, the only place that carries it around here, I figured I'd give it a try. That stuff went like 1900-2000 miles before needing a quart. Whatever it's made out of, at least in my dad's Expo, it certainly cuts down on the consumption.

Sounds like you need to check the PCV plumbing on that thing. There's a revised tube that is supposed to eliminate/reduce excessive oil consumption that affected some engines.

by todays law group III oils are legally "synthetic" but are just highly processed mineral oils, better yes but only group IV + V oils are truely synthetic!!! when an engine burns oil its air- fuel mix is not optimal, pinging could result without knock sensors. the ECU will remove tining to combat this + less timing advance equals less MPG + performance. you might want to try Mobil I Extended Performance 10-30 as its still said to use PAO group IV real synthetic base stocks. even group III fake synthetic is better as a 10-30 as it requires less VII since it starts as a 10W instead of a 5W with VII used to meet the 30 W spec. Amsoil signature series 10-30 is another option. it stopped my girlfriends 14 malibu oil consumption when using dexos spec 5-20 oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: chucky2

Sounds like you need to check the PCV plumbing on that thing. There's a revised tube that is supposed to eliminate/reduce excessive oil consumption that affected some engines.

I'm curious about the revised tube. Any more info on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back