Newer jeeps ? pro's & con's ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boss leased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee fully loaded with everything.
After he took delivery he found a handful of missing fasteners on the vehicle.
He is on his 13th recall.
As he put it "Once and done" with Chrysler Corporation.

Wife drives a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited. 38,0000 on it now. She has not had any problems with it. It will really go through some muck. She would tell you she would never own anything else. It has to be one of the easiest vehicle to change oil on. And full coverage insurance is dirt cheap. And very high resale value.

Originally Posted By: marine65

There were definitely some issues with the early '14 Jeep Grand Cherokees. According to safercar.gov, there have been eight recalls for the Jeep Grand Cherokee (all models); some were only for 3.6L, some only for Laredo's, etc -- still a lot for a single vehicle. Perhaps your boss is getting Technical Service Bulletins (of which there have been 11) and Recalls mixed up.

Jeep is near last in this study. You're best off with a 4Runner.

2015%20VDS%20Slide1_0.jpg

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
The biggest con is that the new Cherokee is now built on a FWD unibody therefore is rendered fairly useless off road. The last Cherokee as well as the latest Grand Cherokee and Wrangler are still body on frame chassis with a RWD layout like I believe any off road vehicle should be

These comments always make me laugh.

I've been casually looking at 4wd SUVs. The most over priced vehicle I've seen is the XJ Cherokee. $7,000 for a 15 year old vehicle is insane.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
The biggest con is that the new Cherokee is now built on a FWD unibody therefore is rendered fairly useless off road. The last Cherokee as well as the latest Grand Cherokee and Wrangler are still body on frame chassis with a RWD layout like I believe any off road vehicle should be

The Cherokee XJ and Grand Cherokee ZJ/WJ are unibodies....always have been.

Guess which other famous Jeep was Unibody:

rch_m151a2.jpg

M151 4 wheel independent suspension and unibody

useless off road?

Useless like an '02+ Range Rover?

That's not actually a Jeep. However, the Cherokees are fantastic off road. The Unibody does just fine. Check out the new Cherokee Trailhawk. Four Wheeler magazine just named it 4x4 of the year, even over the new 4 Runner! That's a pretty tall compliment there.

I admit, we never called them Jeeps. They were referred to as 1/4 tons. But if you asked anybody outside the Army what we were driving, they would say a Jeep.
Some were even made by AMC. Most of ours were Fords. The AMCs drove better but the transmissions were harder to shift. Never could figure that out because other than the manufacturer mark on the DOD plate, they're identical. Fords would get wobbly at about 55mph. AMCs required double clutching.

My wife really likes the 2015 Grand Cherokee. This is a timely topic as we're close to buying one,but the reliability concerns me.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
My wife really likes the 2015 Grand Cherokee. This is a timely topic as we're close to buying one,but the reliability concerns me.

I think you need to drive them both. I did, and the Jeep based on the Mercedes M-chassis, won hands down.

To be fair, I also purchased the Chrysler Maximum Care lifetime warranty. If I would have purchased the 4Runner, I wouldn't have worried about it.

We're on our 4th Jeep. All have been great vehicles, just a few minor issues.

2003 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 - Replaced the PS pump at about 150K miles, and it had a recall for the heated seats.

2008 Liberty - No problems

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sport - Rear window would leak when it rained. Dealer replaced the weatherstripping under warranty.

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Had a small coolant leak from the radiator. Dealer replaced the radiator under warranty. There was also a recall on the heated mirrors, which the dealer took care of at the same time as the radiator.

Originally Posted By: marine65

Company Highly Recommends You Start Learning Engine Repair- C.H.R.Y.S.L.E.R.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
I've driven the GC twice and just about everything else in its class once. The Highlander is the only thing close IMO.

And that is why they say different strokes for different folks.

I truly appreciate all the feedback, after the few first initial responses we started looking up 4 Runners online, The Jeeps look a bit more luxurious to me but if im concerned about anything its 100% reliability.. We live down a Gravel road, then up and down a private lane with 15% inclines, in the winter the 4x4 becomes very appealing. Twice in the five years we have lived in our home my wife was stranded (working different shifts at the time) at the house, her FWD Accord simply lacked ground clearance and traction to make it off our property.. I do believe a snow blade will be in order for my Polaris Ranger in the future, however that's not a cure all, my wife needs a dependable 4x4 family SUV.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I truly appreciate all the feedback, after the few first initial responses we started looking up 4 Runners online, The Jeeps look a bit more luxurious to me but if im concerned about anything its 100% reliability.. We live down a Gravel road, then up and down a private lane with 15% inclines, in the winter the 4x4 becomes very appealing. Twice in the five years we have lived in our home my wife was stranded (working different shifts at the time) at the house, her FWD Accord simply lacked ground clearance and traction to make it off our property.. I do believe a snow blade will be in order for my Polaris Ranger in the future, however that's not a cure all, my wife needs a dependable 4x4 family SUV.

I think you have answered your own question.
And the 4 Runner will hold it's value much better.
I gave up on American branded vehicles awhile ago.
We now have a Nissan and a Hyundai.

Last edited:
For what it is worth...I used to have to sell Jeeps. I worked at a dealership that had Ford and Chrysler products....I will say that there were always plenty of them in for work in the service department and the few salesmen who had them did not keep them long before switching away to a Ford.

A CUV may fit the bill if your wife is okay using a FWD Accord the majority of the time.

My grandmother went for years using a Subaru Forester on steeper grades and a deep in snow/mud driveway(1500'+) that drifts in. My Acura MDX handles it with finesse and absolute blast to bomb down it with the trick AWD system that kicks power side to side to help handling on the gravel and winter packed roads.

Opens a lot of choices.

Just sold a 2007 4Runner and bought a new 4Runner. Five years ago, my wife converted to a 2010 4Runner after 24 straight years of BMW ownership. My first 4Runner was a 1997 and it was a great car. That 1997 was the first Toyota in our family. Now: Wife and I each have a 4Runner. Father in law has an Avalon and a Camry. Brother in law's family has a Land Cruiser, Sequoia, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser and 2 RAV4s. When I bought my new 4Runner 3 weeks ago, I didn't look at anything else. There're not perfect, but they are a good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back