Fox Daytona coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The broadcast was first rate with one glaring exception: too many commercials inside the last 20 laps when the racing finallly got good. Too bad about the yellow flag on the last lap. Harvick and Jr. were about to eat Logano alive.

For all the naysayers, what were you watching? Golf? Hockey?

[I have to admit the golf tournament is getting pretty good.]

Last edited:
Toooo many commercials is right! don't think Harvick and Jr had enough time to do anything with Joey, too far apart and at the start Harvick was right on Joeys bumper but couldn't get around him and Joey was already pulling away.
19.gif

Darrell Waltrip and Larry Mac ruin the Fox broadcasts for me. They try to be so dramatic over the smallest things happening on the track.

Cookie cutter cars and engines
There is not much passing or racing-they just drive fast and follow the guy in front of them
Not very exciting
To put a muzzle on a race engine is silly
And I used to like NASCAR

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
There is not much passing or racing-they just drive fast and follow the guy in front of them
Not very exciting

+1

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Not very exciting

+1

+1 more. It was raining here so I watched the last 45 minutes or so of the race. I didnt think there was anything special going on but the announcers sounded like they were going to have a heart attack.

Stopped watching over 10 years ago. Cars all the same. Fake drama, pretend fighting.Waste of time.
Took the kids and the beagle to the park.

I know I'm a dinosaur, but I miss the NASCAR Grand National days- when the cars on the track bore at least some relationship and resemblance to their street counterparts. Which is why I like the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge; I can watch race cars that are directly related to sleds that I've actually driven or might consider buying.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Anybody watching the race in Atlanta?

I notice there are many empty seats.

Yup, it is also pretty cold. Atlanta has never been one of my favorite tracks.

I watched some here and there. It wasnt real interesting once a re-start happened because the leader just walked away. Yeah the stand were thin but it was a cold day there so it would not be fun sitting on an aluminum bleacher!

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I watched some here and there. It wasnt real interesting once a re-start happened because the leader just walked away. Yeah the stand were thin but it was a cold day there so it would not be fun sitting on an aluminum bleacher!

The last few times I have gone to the Cup race at AutoClub Speedway (Fontana) I have had tickets in the Speedway Club. That is the shaded area at the top of the middle section. The seats there are so much nicer than the bleachers. I sit in the bleachers for the IndyCar race because we sit with the family/fan club of the driver we know.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Is it even worth watching anymore?

Not really, IMO.
It looks like NASCAR has assigned management of the sport to the WWF.
Judging by the emphasis on the mean-mug , pit road temper tantrums, throwdowns, and sideshows (Courtesy of K. Busch) that seem to be featured over the product on the track, it would appear the next step is to change the name to WWFCAR.
+1 You'd think they would allow the teams a road d course car with big brakes, IRS, and tires to match.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Any opinions on the Fox Daytona 500 broadcast team? I do like Mike Joy.

Agreed on Mike; he seems to be a geniuine "car guy"; having done NASCAR for some time and in watching him on Barrett-Jackson.

At least Fox hasn't put Joe Buck on NASCAR like they do in baseball and, later this year in golf (ugh!).

Do the others get annoying? Yes sometimes but I think their enthusiasm is generally real. The "Hollwood Hotel" thing is hokey and that lead announcer is simply generic; can't even remembers his name this moment.

If Leigh Diffey has a big role in NBC's coverage of NASCAR, I'll be disappointed, as he pales in comparison to Bob Varsha in F1; sheesh I wish he'd catch a breath and that NBC would turn down the gain on his microphone. But I'll take him over Dan Hicks.

Off topic comment... IMHO, I think the technical aspects of the broadcasts by Fox are generally superior (sound, camera angles, etc.).
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back