cracked block Honda civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now all you have to do is prove that to Honda. Good luck. He's already going to get a new engine - with warranty. It's a California car so the OP is in essence going to own a brand new car free and clear. The radiator has almost 100k on it! Greedy people, jeez!

Originally Posted By: Mitch
I might be the minority here but I feel they should buy the radiator. I have personally seen a minimum of 5 radiators blown from head gasket leaks. The small diameter radiator caps cannot relieve pressure fast enough and it blows the top seam/o-ring. I can see where a cracked block could over pressure the radiator

As right as you may be, those engines were problematic and a recall issued.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Did you actually see the perfectly fine radiator blow? Because I'd be willing to bet the series of events there was >leaking radiator>low/no coolant>overheat>blown head gasket.

It never hurts to firmly and politely ask about it, and don't take no for an answer at first. If they're hesitant, mention that you're updating an internationally-read car enthusiast forum about the status.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it cracks so that exhaust gets into the cooling system, it can over pressurize it and stress things out.

Hogwash.

Elaborate? I've had a bad head gasket (dodge 2.5) do exactly that. And the block starts under that gasket. IDK where civic blocks typically crack...

The 150 PSI of compression can overpower the 15 PSI of the cooling system.

And if you crack a head, at least, by the gasket it'll take the gasket with it, more often than not.

With relation to the cost of the Radiator.

It list for 335.80 (A) or 394.52 (M) and 2.2 (A) or 2.0 (M) hours labor. Type 2 is probably be billed at about 25.00 gallon...

Wow, talk about greedy, Honda doesn't even have to cover anything and you want them to pay for a radiator that "might" be bad?

Hahahaha! Sick the fear of BITOG on them, that'll change their minds! LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It never hurts to firmly and politely ask about it, and don't take no for an answer at first. If they're hesitant, mention that you're updating an internationally-read car enthusiast forum about the status.

I find it hard to believe you have a cracked block AND a cracked radiator. I would want to see some type of pressure test on just the radiator. $750 for a radiator is crazy. Take the engine and then run it thru an aftermantket shop for the radiator.

I wouldn't call that greedy, if the radiator blew from the bad motor, why shouldn't Honda cover it. I guess I come from the world where I expect no major troubles for at a minimum, 130k miles and most Honda's will do easily 150-175 with no troubles. To me, having these kinds of troubles at 93k is just unacceptable. If that motor is known for this problem, [censored] yea it ALL should be covered. Why would you expect a blown motor/radiator so soon.

tell them to replace the engine, and you'll gladly replace the radiator yourself with a $60 special on ebay. good luck.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I wouldn't call that greedy, if the radiator blew from the bad motor, why shouldn't Honda cover it. I guess I come from the world where I expect no major troubles for at a minimum, 130k miles and most Honda's will do easily 150-175 with no troubles. To me, having these kinds of troubles at 93k is just unacceptable. If that motor is known for this problem, [censored] yea it ALL should be covered. Why would you expect a blown motor/radiator so soon.

All well and good, but this car is long out of warranty and Honda doesn't have to pay for anything.
Nice that they're willing to own up to a known problem and throw the guy a new engine.
They sure don't have to.

If, if, if, if, if,... All speculation or educated guess at best. Honda does not have to do a thing. Threats and anger will only be counterproductive.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I wouldn't call that greedy, if the radiator blew...

If it cracks so that exhaust gets into the cooling system, it can over pressurize it and stress things out.

Hogwash.

Elaborate? I've had a bad head gasket (dodge 2.5) do exactly that. And the block starts under that gasket. IDK where civic blocks typically crack...

The 150 PSI of compression can overpower the 15 PSI of the cooling system.

And if you crack a head, at least, by the gasket it'll take the gasket with it, more often than not.

Because I have had seven, yes seven 2.2/2.5 turbo Dodges everyone has blown a head gasket, had a head gasket leak and all have had a cracked head, one had a cracked block. Not once did it cause a radiator failure. If his radiator failure was caused by the block, he had the original thermostat cap and it did not relieve or two he had a blockage somewhere. I have never personally seen a cracked head/block or blown head gasket cause a radiator failure. You need a perfect set of conditions, or lack of maintenance.
Not even at the track have I seen this.

I got to thinking about it some more. The crack would have to be in the cylinder wall and I doubt you would see anything close to 150 psi unless the crack was huge. Think about a blown head gasket or cracked head. Where do these blocks normally crack?

In San Diego Mountains? No, not really. It's 39 degrees today adn I think the cololest it has gotten with my civic and me hs been like 25. I am enjoying driving my Silverado right now. Too bad gas has done up almost 1 dollar/gallon in a month.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Driving into the mountains, is that cold enough to freeze a weak coolant mixture?

Yea, but I apparently like to bend over for the dealer, LOL!!~!

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Even if you do have to pay for the radiator, $750 seems astronomical. I see the OEM part for sale online for between $225 and $325. Afrermarket, $100-$150.

Fight to have them replace that too.

I have to ask why should they pay for the radiator? A cracked block will not ruin a radiator. Be happy you are getting basically a new engine for free and move along.

I admit that is pricey for a radiator, but it is OEM plus labor. That is what happens when you use the dealer.

Nope. Car was cold when I put water in it. I do know better.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would take that deal & RUN-the cracked radiator CAUSED the cracked block (likely when you put water into it if it was hot), & you're out of warranty-that's a win, they could cover none of it.

1) I'd love to hear by what mechanism a cracked block causes a cracked radiator?.

2) You have a 5+ year old car with ~100,000 miles. If Honda is going to goodwill a short block you should say thank you and be on your way.

IMO

low quality casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back