Double Stacked Wheel-Weights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a couple weeks ago I got to replace the OEM style Goodyears (with only 30K on them) that were cracking with some made in USA Yokohama's. I specified no outer wheel weights, well the rear drivers side has a weight set stacked on top of each other, while the passenger front is side by side.

Here's the stacked one:

And here's the side by side:

I've never seen stacked wheel weights before. Is this something common they do now adays?

Yes, nothing to worry about. If they're not coming into contact with the brake caliper they'll be fine.

Well that's good to know, I've never seen it done that way. I haven't bought that many sets recently and it struck me as funny looking.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I wonder how long the double stack will stick together? LOL

To each other? Until someone prys them apart with a screwdriver. To the wheel itself? Until they fall off! lol I've seen plenty of wheels with missing stick on weights. Road salt, high pressure car washes and the wheel not being cleaned properly before installation are all common reasons.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

To each other? Until someone prys them apart with a screwdriver. To the wheel itself? Until they fall off! lol I've seen plenty of wheels with missing stick on weights. Road salt, high pressure car washes and the wheel not being cleaned properly before installation are all common reasons.

Precisely; I clean the surfaces by removing road grime, brake dust and previous weight adhesive residue prior to the installation of the new weights.

When you specified no outer weights, they took that to mean hide them behind the spokes. Modern balancers let you input the spoke locations and calculate around that, often splitting the weight behind spokes.

It's not a "perfect" balance since the balancer makes compromises to hide the weights.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Originally Posted By: cb_13

Precisely; I clean the surfaces by removing road grime, brake dust and previous weight adhesive residue prior to the installation of the new weights.

If it can be hidden or the wheels are painted black on the inside a strip of black duct tape over the top of the weights can also be helpful. Of course the surface must be clean for the tape to stick as well as the weights. Great for trucks that see muddy conditions.

The adhesive tape on the weight now has to handle twice the load. And it looks like garbage.

I don't even bother having my tires balanced. A good tire and rim should not make the car shimmy.

As mentioned, it looks like they were trying to hide the weights behind the spoke, which some new machines can do.

So, I'd say it's perfectly fine unless it's shaking on the highway.

I wouldn't take it back unless there's an issue you notice while driving.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Maybe GSCJR can confirm this, the tire shop told me that lip balancing is far better than stick-ons behind the face. Takes about 1/2 the weight to get a better balance.

Yes; better as in not as sensitive. Clip on are easier to manage because you can choose your weight size. Stick-ons generally come in .25 oz. or .50 oz. so you're limited.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
As mentioned, it looks like they were trying to hide the weights behind the spoke, which some new machines can do.

Well that's the odd thing. Sometimes I'll get a shake and sometimes not. The roads around here, even the interstate is deplorable, so it's hard to tell. I'll know better in a couple weeks when I move out of state. I will find a more compitent shop. The guy I ordered them from was a complete jerk, but they had the best price. Lesson learned I guess.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Well that's the odd thing. Sometimes I'll get a shake and sometimes not. The roads around here, even the interstate is deplorable, so it's hard to tell. I'll know better in a couple weeks when I move out of state. I will find a more compitent shop. The guy I ordered them from was a complete jerk, but they had the best price. Lesson learned I guess.

An imbalance will be there 100% of the time. If you are getting a shake that comes and goes, it is likely something loose in the suspension - a bushing or a ball joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back