Last of the Oliver Hazard Perry class Frigates

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our Navy Fleet at least...Some other countries have purchased the old one for their Navies.

There are a few mouth balled ones at PSNS and some at the Former Philadelphia Navy Yard.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
In our Navy Fleet at least...Some other countries have purchased the old one for their Navies.

There are a few mouth balled ones at PSNS and some at the Former Philadelphia Navy Yard.

I think I counted eight at the Philadelphia reserve basin.

Originally Posted By: Timo325
Thanks for this story.

Glad to. On the lead ship(Oliver Hazard Perry hull 7)was the very first aluminum production welding for me. I did train and test for aluminum in a shop first. Sad to see them go.

Sad to see them go as well...not very impressed with the decision to re-name the new littoral combat ship class as "frigates". There is a long, proud history of frigates in Naval Combat (USS Constitution and her five sisters were considered heavy frigates) but the new LCS was deliberately designed to be lower end than a frigate-class warship; to be modular, affordable, and plentiful...now it looks as if it will usurp the name "frigate" while delivering on none of its promises...

We got a lot of good service out of the Perry's, but let's not get carried away, and remember what they really were.

First of all, remember this was a "low capability" ship designed to be cheap and plentiful. Besides sheer numbers, much of their capability came from the 2 helicopters aboard, especially as their original modest primary armament became outmoded and was removed.

Second, their aluminum superstructure had to be designed out of their successors due to the extreme fire hazard. We have been extremely fortunate that it never happened to a Perry, but the disaster of the USS Belknap aluminum superstructure fire could have happened to any Perry.

Third, I have to comment on all the "tough" and "survivable" comments going around. These ships were NOT designed to take a hit! All the surviving was done despite, not because, of their design. Let's be honest, better made warships would have taken Exocet and mine damage with less casualties.

The Perry's were a success because we needed a lot of ships to cover a lot of jobs on a lot of oceans. Just having them supporting more capable warships was useful, but the lives of the brave sailors on board were more at risk than on other ships.

I agree a littoral (coastal) type ship cannot, by definition, do the job of a full-up sea-going ship. It's a misnomer to call the 3,000 ton displacement LCS a "frigate".

In a way the LCS distills the lessons of the aluminum superstructure frigate ships down to its essence- despite being smaller, each LCS carries 2 helicopters, and the copters bring a huge amount of ASW and other capabilities to an otherwise "low capability" surface ship.

Perry clas Frigates were 4100 tons. Other frigates had aluminum super structures as well. Knox class for example.

Meh just another class getting retired. The real tragedy is the 29 Zumwalt sister ships that will never be built.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Was it difficult to weld on a ship?

Tight, confined spaces....

Very much so. The inner bottoms for example were hard to crawl through much less weld. Often we had we had to crawl head first and drag our gear with us including a smoke sucker. Also we had to perform Navy standard welds in all positions which were carefully inspected. A young mans job for sure. I was 36 when I left BIW and moved here in Illinois where I have worked in boiler and machine shops.

End of an era. I served onboard Spruance class destroyers and Ticonderoga class cruiser's. The little FFG-7's never really appealed to me.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Meh just another class getting retired. The real tragedy is the 29 Zumwalt sister ships that will never be built.

That depends upon your perspective.

Can't say much more on here, but it can be a good thing too.

Thanks for the read. Spent 3 years on FFG-54 and really enjoyed that little boat. Lots of memories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back