USS Omaha LCS-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence-class_littoral_combat_ship

The ship below is being built in Mobile, Al

MOBILE, Alabama (NNS) -- The future USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS 10), launched from the Austal USA shipyard Feb. 25, marking an important production milestone for the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) program.

"This third Independence variant ship of the block buy is the first ship constructed fully utilizing Austal's LCS Modular Manufacturing Facility and is launching at the highest level of production completion to-date," said Capt. Tom Anderson, Littoral Combat Ship program manager, "a sign that facility investments are now paying off in schedule and cost performance."

The ship is named after former United States Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. LCS 10 will be the 16th U.S. naval ship to be named for a woman, and only the 13th ship to be named for a living person since 1850.

Gabrielle Giffords was rolled out of her assembly bay onto a barge for transfer down the Mobile River to a floating drydock Feb. 24. The ship entered the water for the first time the following day when the drydock was flooded for the ship launch. The ship will return to the shipyard to continue final outfitting and activation until her christening later this year. She is expected to deliver to the fleet in 2017.

Gabrielle Giffords is the third ship in a block buy contract with Austal to build 10 Independence- variant LCS ships. Sister ship Jackson (LCS 6) is preparing for builder's trials, and Montgomery (LCS 8) was christened in November 2014. The LCS program is ramping up in 2015 to deliver two ships per year from the Austal shipyard, as well as two Freedom-variant ships from the Marinette Marine shipyard in Wisconsin.

The Navy is leveraging competition, fixed-price contracting and ongoing production efficiencies to reduce construction time and costs on littoral combat ships. Lessons learned from the lead ships have been incorporated into both Freedom variant (odd-numbered) and Independence variant (even-numbered) hulls.

PEO LCS is responsible for delivering and sustaining littoral mission capabilities to the fleet and is working with industry to increase production efficiencies and leverage cost savings to achieve steady serial production. Delivering high-quality warfighting assets while balancing affordability and capability is key to supporting the Navy's Maritime Strategy.

Last edited:
Not to get all political, but why would they name a ship after her? Has she done anything to deserve such an honor? The shooting was tragic, but I don't think getting shot warrants a ship in your name. Am I wrong here?

Puked a little in my mouth when I saw "USS Gabrielle Giffords" as a USN ship name as part of this class. Maybe I am showing my age (and I am not really old, actually), but I recall ship names like "Hornet," "Wasp," "Lexington," "Hue City," "Gettysburg," "Nimitz," "John Paul Jones."

It required you to be a stellar virtue, battle won of blood, or a warrior of proven virtue to get a blue-water citadel of steel named in your honor. You didn't even have to be American (John Paul Jones was not), but you had to earn it. And I love that about this country.

Sometimes I regret prematurely resigning my Navy commission. Then I remember my core values and realize my country no longer honors them.

Last edited:
How many have made the ultimate sacrifice? How many came home missing limbs, etc.?

Out of thousands, they could find no one else that was truly deserving?

No, it will always be LCS-10!

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Puked a little in my mouth when I saw "USS Gabrielle Giffords" as a USN ship name as part of this class. Maybe I am showing my age (and I am not really old, actually), but I recall ship names like "Hornet," "Wasp," "Lexington," "Hue City," "Gettysburg," "Nimitz," "John Paul Jones."

It required you to be a stellar virtue, battle won of blood, or a warrior of proven virtue to get a blue-water citadel of steel named in your honor. You didn't even have to be American (John Paul Jones was not), but you had to earn it. And I love that about this country.

Actually, three (two fleet carriers and a boomer submarine) were named for an entrepreneur, politician, diplomat, ambassador, and LEGENDARY womanizer.

Originally Posted By: whip
Not to get all political, but why would they name a ship after her? Has she done anything to deserve such an honor? The shooting was tragic, but I don't think getting shot warrants a ship in your name. Am I wrong here?

I thought the exact same thing and it sounds like a very politically motivated rationale for the choice. I suppose I come from a different time...

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Sometimes I regret prematurely resigning my Navy commission. Then I remember my core values and realize my country no longer honors them.

+1. Whats next a USS Obama?

ralph-cropped.jpg

USS William Jefferson Clinton,

Blue Dress, sorry, Dress Blues, must be worn at all times...

Last edited:
Ms. Giffords survives an assassination attempted by a terrorist who would rather use violence than beat her in an election. A bit of an exclusive club for a civilian.

Sure the ship will be great, and will kill more terrorists.

If the ship was named after her husband you'd all be singing a different tune. Say what you want about her personally but I am sure her husband had a hand in the process. I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

Would the USS Terrorist Blood Hunter be better?

I think that we can all agree that a ship on the water helping keep the US safe is better than no ship at all.

On that we can agree.

For the rest, I will have to recuse myself.

When I retire this fall, I will be happy to share my opinions on this particular topic...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I think that we can all agree that a ship on the water helping keep the US safe is better than no ship at all.

We can agree on that.

A bit off topic here in this thread, but what exactly is the combat mission of the new LCS class of warships? I ask that you who know forgive my lack of knowledge on this one. I spent a lot of time on the now gone DD-963 Spruance class destroyer's and CG-47 Ticonderoga class Aegis cruiser's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back