Oil in Transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what brand oil i should run in my Transaxle for my JD LX289. It calls for a 5w-50 according to Tuff-Torq.

Any Tuff Torq K series transaxle runs better with 5W50. I have had great luck with K51, K46 and K62 to name a few running 5W50. If you go to the Tuff Torq website, they even suggest 5W50. Works way better than any "tractor fluid".

Link

Amsoil has a new 5w-50 awesome i might get that. How would it compare to Mobil 1 and Castrol syntec? I was wondering because John Deere recommends their JD Hy-Guard and when i bought the tractor the fluid was quite brow and dirty so that is what i changed it out with and the transmission noise was noticeably louder with the JD stuff in. IIRC it is a near a 30 wt oil. I think i might go with the 5w-50 just because everybody i have contacted with has had great results. At full operating temp would the 50wt part run better than the 30 wt? How hot does these units run because i have no clue. I didn't think they ran hot enough to require a 5w-50. I also run the unit in the winter so what would you actually recommend? I think a 5w-50 would do the trick. Is there any 0w-50 oils out there?
Thanks for the input everyone it helps

You can use what you want but if it is hydrostatic I would use hyguard. It is cheap and works well in many gearboxes and hydros.

I work at a john Deere factory now and they put hyguard in all the hay conditioner gearboxes and cutter bars and baler gearboxes.

Last edited:
I was looking for something synthetic and I don't think that JD Hygard is synthetic. Synthetic has better properties that is why i choose it.

Thanks Everyone!!! It isn't due for oil change yet. @ 471 hours it will get changed along with the motor oil. I think I will put Amsoil in my engine too. Tuff-Torq says to change it every 100-150 hours. Do you think i could double it with the Amsoil 5w-50? Or would i have to take an oil sample.

I used Mobil1 15w50 in my K62 when I changed the factory fill oil about 7 years ago. My JD LX is 17 years old and the Mobil1 still looks new. I don't know why TT would recommend changing a top of the line synthetic {your choice} so often. CMA maybe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back