Potholes and frost heaves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here, the cold weather we've been having has really taken a toll on the roads. Areas that were fairly smooth last year have gotten noticeably bumpy. They're bumpy enough that I'm starting to slow down in certain spots to avoid bottoming out the suspension. Even roads that were re-done within the last two years are getting very bumpy. The snow tires might stay on a little longer than absolutely necessary this year to give my backside some relief before road construction starts.

How is it in your area?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Around here, the cold weather we've been having has really taken a toll on the roads. Areas that were fairly smooth last year have gotten noticeably bumpy. They're bumpy enough that I'm starting to slow down in certain spots to avoid bottoming out the suspension. Even roads that were re-done within the last two years are getting very bumpy. The snow tires might stay on a little longer than absolutely necessary this year to give my backside some relief before road construction starts.

How is it in your area?

Too bad they cannot find a way to reduce or eliminate potholes. In Minnesota, they are a yearly occurence.

Last couple of Weeks I've noticed a lot of uneven roads.
It's like beings in the ocean during a storm.

Not really pot-hole season yet.
That comes later.

But with this cold and the roads heaving, I can see why the water Co. is having so many breaks in their lines.

Can't fight Mother nature.

Getting really bad here for heaves. Perhaps worse than years past, but they are a yearly problem.

Airtime can be fun.
wink.gif

There's a few sections around here where the old block highway starts coming through the pavement when it gets cold. That gets fun!

Michigan is terrible also, frost heaves are bad its like driving down a dirt road!, come spring time they lay down and all is smooth again.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

How is it in your area?

I live a little east of Albany but still in NY and the roads are bad. They put up "BUMP" signs here and there for the frost heaves. The pot holes that they try and fix with cold patch last a few days until the big trucks rip the stuff out.

So bad around here... It looks like waves in the pavement at night.. Just heaves every 30-50 feet in some spots.. I just replaced both front wheel bearings in my Saturn and I'm worried I'll have to do it again by spring. Blah!

I wish I had it like you guys..your roads are amazing compared to ours. We had the coldest february on record this year. Our roads are beyond terrible to start with and now they are plain disgusting. Pure negligence if you ask me but of course you cant sue the city..so you need more car repairs here like wheel bearings, tires, bent rims, and suspension issues which brings in even more money via taxes to this poorly run city. An embarassment.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
So bad around here... It looks like waves in the pavement at night.. Just heaves every 30-50 feet in some spots.. I just replaced both front wheel bearings in my Saturn and I'm worried I'll have to do it again by spring. Blah!

Yeah we have the pitchy waves here too, like a culvert collapsed. Pretty annoying on a short wheelbase.

If we get snow, now, the plows are going to catch, bounce on their springs, and make a horrendous mess.

My grandmother used to mention that some of the potholes near her in Maine were so large, it was decided to stock them with fish rather than repair them.

Surprisingly not too bad around here. Nothing like last year.

Last year, we had a stretch of 4-lane highway where the macadam busted up between the lanes. It was like a 12 mile long linear pothole. I think they didn't properly seal the macadam between the lanes. It was very risky changing lanes.

Also, last year I saw a car that had both it's front and rear tires flat on the side of the road. One pothole with a very nasty edge got both wheels.

But winter's not over yet...

The roads around here are ATROCIOUS. I hit a pothole last night on the NYS Thruway just north of the TZ Bridge that really gave the car a jolt....this was right in the middle lane.

I noticed that they really never did any major road repairs after last winter....they just threw a bag or two of black top in each hole which lasted about a month.

Infrastructure repair has taken a back seat to social issues in NY....we have more sociologists than road repair people.

Originally Posted By: daman
Michigan is terrible also, frost heaves are bad its like driving down a dirt road!, come spring time they lay down and all is smooth again.

Same way here too... I was amazed how bad it was last winter. Had to drive like 40 on the 55-MPH roads in local areas, and even that was enough to rattle my vertibrae. Then once it warmed up, the heaves all kind of just "relaxed" back to normal. Didn't even have to re-pave!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
My grandmother used to mention that some of the potholes near her in Maine were so large, it was decided to stock them with fish rather than repair them.

I've said for years that NO has potholes that are so old, people hold birthday parties for 'em.

This year for whatever reason it seems like frost heaves are not as bad in mid to northern NH.

My guess is due to excessively cold temperatures and many days simply below freezing not enough water is getting introduced in soil below roads to cause the issue.

The signage seems to be sparse compared to years past but that may change up soon with warm up/freeze in march. We have significant amount of snow pack (3'-4'+) currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back