Camry bad start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a bit baffled as to what happened. I let my Camry sit for nearly a week in CT--so warmer than NH. Went to start it, about noon yesterday, was prob 10F overnight and nearly freezing at noon. (was in FL, not sure what overnight temp was.) The car started to fire so I naturally let off the key. It stalled. I cranked again, and the starter sounded fast--no typ engine sounds. Cranked a couple of times, decided battery must be low and perhaps the starter was not engaging the flywheel. Got a jump pack, let it charge for a couple minutes. It might have spun faster but still no engine sounds.

Let it charge for a couple more minutes, no change, took the pack off. At this point I was out of options. What the heck, give it a good crank, then on the second time it decided to start hitting. Finally started, and smelled really rich. Ran fine afterwards.

?

Usually when any engine spins you can hear the speed rise and fall. I didn't hear that. Just sounded like a fast cranking speed with no compression. I will see about plugging in a computer and see if anything is stored in the ECU, no CEL but perhaps it will have something set. But any ideas as to what might have happened? I wish i had gotten some one to watch and see if the engine was spinning; I don't get why it would flood. If it happens again, would stepping on the throttle tell the ecu to cut fuel?

2011 Camry wit 2AR-FE I4, about 89kmiles. Original plugs etc.

Maybe the pinion thingy was frozen and not engaging the flywheel?

My friend let his Civic sit for months; it took a few raps on the starter to entice it to start.

i was thinking that too--but it actually fired a couple times on the first crank. And with no change to starter noise started making firing noises on the final crank.

If it had cylinder deactivation I would have accused it of dry lifters.

Do you have to hold the key in the crank position on this car, or does the ECM take care of it for you?

The drive gear on the starter is called a bendix.

You have a slightly leaky injector which flooded over the week of not running.

I don't think you'd get many codes cranking-- only something like missing cam/crank sensor (and using the other), bad MAF/ Coolant temp. It generally tries to get it running then the codes start clicking in during warmup. Even misfires are numb during the first few seconds running.

Generally speaking (ie every injected car I've ever worked on) flooring the gas cuts fuel for clearing flood.

No, it will not crank until it starts. My Tundra does that, but on my Camry I have to to key until it starts.

Hmm, FE has been low lately, but I assumed it was from the cold. Maybe I will have to dump some cleaner in and hope for the best? If so, what one?

It was probably flooded and the cylinder walls were washed with fuel.

Exact same thing happened to my car when I came back from a 2 week trip. I was pretty confused because I knew it was turning over but too fast like no compression condition. So I let it sit for a few hours then tried it with the pedal to the floor and it started fine. It has never happened again.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You have a slightly leaky injector which flooded over the week of not running.

I don't think you'd get many codes cranking-- only something like missing cam/crank sensor (and using the other), bad MAF/ Coolant temp. It generally tries to get it running then the codes start clicking in during warmup. Even misfires are numb during the first few seconds running.

Generally speaking (ie every injected car I've ever worked on) flooring the gas cuts fuel for clearing flood.

Would Techron or Regane help or is a new injector needed?

Quote:
Usually when any engine spins you can hear the speed rise and fall. I didn't hear that. Just sounded like a fast cranking speed with no compression.

"Car wash syndrome." Google it.

This happened with my Nissan and at first blush I was 100% convinced that the timing chain had failed and kissed the valves.

For those who don't want to look look up this phenomenon: A flooded engine washes the oil from the cylinders, making for a loss of compression (no oil to seal) and that's why you get that panicky fast-starter-spin-of-death sound with no start condition.

Learned something new, it seems. Had not heard of this before. Will see if it does this again. In the meantime, I will see about a cleaner. Should be able to swing into wallyworld tomorrow.

Just spoke to the wife. She had moved the car all of 20 feet the night before we left. it then sat for the week, until my fateful (non)start. Fits the theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back