cracked block Honda civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, first of all, I guess I’m lucky I didn’t fry my engine.

My commute is 81 miles RT (I’m a Park Ranger). I drive from the “low lands (500’ sea level)” to the mountains (4300’). Great commute. I also use a scan gauge so I can monitor various things relating to my engine, including the coolant temp.

Last Wednesday (My Friday), I happened to drive my by car at work and thought I saw some water/coolant underneath (I’m religious in checking my fluid levels every week and looking under my vehicles for drops of fluid). It had been 7 hrs since I got to work so I removed the radiator cap. It was still pressurized and there was fluid. SO I drove home later that day with no issues. Thursday, I noticed a large wet spot underneath the radiator (Not the engine). Checked the radiator and nothing was in it. Filled it up with water. Next morning, more water underneath and no water in the radiator. So I called and had it towed to the dealer. BTW, I normally don’t drive the civic on my off days.

To make an already long story shorter, the dealer called and said that I had cracks in the radiator and it needs to be replaced before I can do anymore checking (I got 93,000 miles on it and have never had any problems with the civic. It’s been a good car). He then mentioned that after they get that replaced, that they would check for other issues, like a cracked block.

He called the next day and told me that I have a cracked block and that more than likely it is covered by Honda (Should know late Monday). That is all and fine, but further research by me shows that damage (cracks) to the radiator could result due to the cracked block. I made a comment to the service advisor about that and he said that Honda won’t cover that, no matter what the experts say. It’s $750 to replace the radiator. I think I’m going to push Honda to pay for that.

Am I right in my thinking-to try to get Honda to pay for the radiator replacement?

You got it covered. I was going to say that the engine is covered under a recall. Seems like you got it handled. If all you got out of pocket is a radiator out of pocket, you're doing well. Don't get greedy.

1) I'd love to hear by what mechanism a cracked block causes a cracked radiator?.

2) You have a 5+ year old car with ~100,000 miles. If Honda is going to goodwill a short block you should say thank you and be on your way.

IMO

Driving into the mountains, is that cold enough to freeze a weak coolant mixture?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
1) I'd love to hear by what mechanism a cracked block causes a cracked radiator?.

2) You have a 5+ year old car with ~100,000 miles. If Honda is going to goodwill a short block you should say thank you and be on your way.

IMO

If it cracks so that exhaust gets into the cooling system, it can overpressurize it and stress things out.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it cracks so that exhaust gets into the cooling system, it can over pressurize it and stress things out.

Hogwash.

IMO

If it cracks so that exhaust gets into the cooling system, it can overpressurize it and stress things out.

No.
Be happy they are replacing your block. 750 for a radiator is pretty pricey, but then again the dealer did it.

Even if you do have to pay for the radiator, $750 seems astronomical. I see the OEM part for sale online for between $225 and $325. Afrermarket, $100-$150.

Fight to have them replace that too.

Cracked blocks are a common problem on this generation of civics through 2009. Happened to mine when the previous owner had it at 89k miles. Dealer should have known to check for the cracked block before the radiator on yours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Even if you do have to pay for the radiator, $750 seems astronomical. I see the OEM part for sale online for between $225 and $325. Afrermarket, $100-$150.

I have to ask why should they pay for the radiator? A cracked block will not ruin a radiator. Be happy you are getting basically a new engine for free and move along.

I admit that is pricey for a radiator, but it is OEM plus labor. That is what happens when you use the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
You got it covered. I was going to say that the engine is covered under a recall. Seems like you got it handled. If all you got out of pocket is a radiator out of pocket, you're doing well. Don't get greedy.

Agreed, although seven fiddy seems a little high for a rad.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

I have to ask why should they pay for the radiator? A cracked block will not ruin a radiator. Be happy you are getting basically a new engine for free and move along.

He has nothing to lose by contacting Honda and asking them to pay for it, and that's $750 more in his pocket if they do. I'm not wealthy; that's a substantial amount of money for me, so I'd make an attempt rather than just giving up.

What effect do exhaust gasses have on the chemistry of coolant? I don't know. Could it be compromised or become corrosive?

If it cracks so that exhaust gets into the cooling system, it can over pressurize it and stress things out.

Hogwash.

I'm with you on this.
The pressure cap would relieve any excess pressure caused by exhaust gasses leaking into the coolant.

I would take that deal & RUN-the cracked radiator CAUSED the cracked block (likely when you put water into it if it was hot), & you're out of warranty-that's a win, they could cover none of it.

Hogwash.
not hogwash at all.I see it daily.the little vent hole cant vent large amounts of pressure and blows the radiator up. A thermostat that slams open will blow a rad up too.

You lose nothing by trying, so go for it. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll cover a portion of the costs.

Just don't be too aggressive trying to get them to cover it. Remember, it's not the fault of the person at the dealership if Honda doesn't cover it, and you don't want to burn an bridges at the dealership.

I might be the minority here but I feel they should buy the radiator. I have personally seen a minimum of 5 radiators blown from head gasket leaks. The small diameter radiator caps cannot relieve pressure fast enough and it blows the top seam/o-ring. I can see where a cracked block could over pressure the radiator

The OP already tried to have Honda replace the radiator. The dealer says no. Sure try again. If still no, then ask if you can buy a radiator and have them install it with the understanding that everyone is aware that Honda/dealership will not warranty the radiator if there is an issue with it.

The OPs time will be better served being friendly and understanding. I'd rather have a mechanic liking me and doing a better job than have them do a half-baked job because I was going off on them. It's 90% psychological, people.

Originally Posted By: Mitch
I might be the minority here but I feel they should buy the radiator. I have personally seen a minimum of 5 radiators blown from head gasket leaks. The small diameter radiator caps cannot relieve pressure fast enough and it blows the top seam/o-ring. I can see where a cracked block could over pressure the radiator

Did you actually see the perfectly fine radiator blow? Because I'd be willing to bet the series of events there was >leaking radiator>low/no coolant>overheat>blown head gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back