Engine feel sluggy going from 5w20 to 5w30 5.4L 3v

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 expedition 5.4L 3v 190k miles. we use it for mainly hauling stuff now. Drive mabe 2 time a week. Its does have the common phaser noise. when it fully warm up, at cold start I couldnt heard the phaser noise , I dont plan on fix it since the truck not worth any money, anyway the truck been running super mobil 5000 5w20 + FL820s most of it life, no leak, no burn oil or anything, I never have to add any oil during 6 month oil change. It does have a check engine light on and off because bank 2 02 sensor need replace.

Well I figure it had many miles now, mabe going 5w30, because since my local walmart mobil 5000 5w20 out off stock all the time. and mobil 5000 5w30 easy to find. after oil change , no more check engine light, the truck does feel sluggy a bit, gas miles still the same, for the noise its reduce just a bit.

should I change it back to mobil 5000 5w20, I dont know if this engine picky about oil grade or not. any different on cold start between 5w20 and 5w30 ? will 5w30 cause engine damage by going 10 grade above recommend . thanks

In a short answer, NO!

In your climate, No harm in using 5w30 in place of 5w20...Not even in my climate! No odd start up noises?

By chance, has it been slightly colder since you changed the oil? This alone "could be" the reason for the sluggishness you're feeling but, IDK!

Since you've changed the oil,(I want to make sure I understand), the CEL is out??? And the phaser noise is LESS???(IDK what the phaser is!) and MPG is the same?

NOT TO WORRY!
smile.gif

Last edited:
yes check engine is off complete for last 3 day, and yes its been colder, we having some weir weather lately, cold ice freezing, then the next is 60-65.

phaser noise is less, and gas miles is still the same.

no odd noise at cold star, phaser noise happen when engine is fully warm up.

Cam phaser noise is common on all ford 3v 5.4L 2004-2015, its the knock/clack/ticking noise , early year develope the noise early, but eventually all year will having this noise, its ford most flaw design, repair cost about $1,500-$3,000, some say still making noise after replace all that, some say it require complete new engine if not repair. this is the reason why ford lost customer like myself. I went with GM truck instead, only mustang is ford I love. Not fan of ford modular engine no more since 2006.

Last edited:
It's in your head. You went one grade above not 10. There's no way an oil is going to pull that much HP where you will feel it. But hey, if you ain't happy with your current choice, switch back.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
yes check engine is off complete for last 3 day, and yes its been colder, we having some weir weather lately, cold ice freezing, then the next is 60-65.

Cam phaser noise is common on all ford 3v 5.4L 2004-2015, its the knock/clack/ticking noise , early year develope the noise early, but eventually all year will having this noise, its ford most flaw design, repair cost about $1,500-$3,000, some say still making noise after replace all that, some say it require complete new engine if not repair. this is the reason why ford lost customer like myself. I went with GM truck instead, only mustang is ford I love. Not fan of ford modular engine no more since 2006.

It is not a 2004-2015 issue. IIRC it was "corrected" about 2007 model year. If your's is feeling sluggish, I would check the fuel delivery module (under spare tire). These are, and will always be loud engines. Just fuel injectors alone are rather loud. Moving to 5-30 from 5-20 is not anything you'll be noticing....except it always runs better when it's clean.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

It is not a 2004-2015 issue. IIRC it was "corrected" about 2007 model year. If your's is feeling sluggish, I would check the fuel delivery module (under spare tire). These are, and will always be loud engines. Just fuel injectors alone are rather loud. Moving to 5-30 from 5-20 is not anything you'll be noticing....except it always runs better when it's clean.

only company that make a repair kit work
Livernois Motorsports " This problem exists on ALL 3v engines. From 2004-2015. The earlier year trucks did it sooner, but they all will eventually do it. There is no escaping this problem without this kit. Anything else only delays the issue from occurring. "

All in your mind. I have run the 5w20 and 5w30 and can tell no difference between the two.

Ford's choice to use 5/20 oils in the modular V8's was based purely on fuel economy gains. Ford's bulletins stated exactly that when they were released. Your engine is in no way "suffering" from a thicker oil. Not at all.

The best advice I can give you is that your engine has a problem. So there is no way to really judge it's behaviour under normal context.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

only company that make a repair kit work
Livernois Motorsports " This problem exists on ALL 3v engines. From 2004-2015. The earlier year trucks did it sooner, but they all will eventually do it. There is no escaping this problem without this kit. Anything else only delays the issue from occurring. "

Livernois is trying to sell their phaser lock out kit. I'd let Livernois worry about delivering trouble free crate motors to their regular clientele before taking their website blurbs at face value.

While there's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence on BITOG that different formulations can cause a motor to sound different, I find it hard to believe that using the exact same oil only 1 grade thicker can cause as much of an effect as the OP claims.

Ford did issue a TSB about using thicker oil to reduce cam phaser noise, so I do believe there could be a change in the sound of the OP's engine, just not that it would run differently.

My son and I have used M1 0W-40 in his 08 5.4L 3V for a few years now and have had NO ill effects! Just a very slight loss of MPG according to his Edge!

The 5.4L 3V seems to really like the 0W-40! Never Sluggish! Kole drives the truck all the time not me and he has made many comments about not going back to 5W-20! Let's keep using the M1 0W-40!

This is just OUR personal Experience Nothing More!

These motors are not quiet by NO Means! But Very Few of Todays New engines are!
Our 5.4L still has chatter but nothing we feel is worth worrying about after 200K miles.

Mabe because the weather we have last week, that suddenly turn cold and freezing the road.. I just change the oil before this bad weather. mabe its just in my mind, but the sound does feel a bit less , i am pretty sure on that.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
My son and I have used M1 0W-40 in his 08 5.4L 3V for a few years now and have had NO ill effects! Just a very slight loss of MPG according to his Edge!

The 5.4L 3V seems to really like the 0W-40! Never Sluggish! Kole drives the truck all the time not me and he has made many comments about not going back to 5W-20! Let's keep using the M1 0W-40!

This is just OUR personal Experience Nothing More!

These motors are not quiet by NO Means! But Very Few of Todays New engines are!
Our 5.4L still has chatter but nothing we feel is worth worrying about after 200K miles.

wow really ? what make you want run 40 weight in firt place ? and what your OCI is ?

just a note, my silverado engine run quiet. you can barely heard it run. dealer oil is ow20 ac delco.

Last edited:
I've run everything from 5w-20 to 5w-40 in our 5.4L (2V) and never noticed any difference in how the engine felt.

I'll echo the sentiment this is certainly all in your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back