2 cycle oil vs MMO in gasoiline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been putting about 1oz of 2cycleoil for 5gal of gasoline both in my civic and my wrx and i am happy to get a slight improve gas milleage and quieter running engine. Once a quarter i run gumout and do a seafoam clean about a tank prior to oil change.

I finally ran out of the couple gallons of pennzoil 2 stroke marine oil. Im thinking of replacing it with similar or MMO or something of better value.

Can someone recommend what i should get

Goal is to have a longer and more efficient engine.

Thanks in advance

You get lots of opinions with little facts unfortunately. I believe in using a UCL, especially in vehicles that sit for extended periods of time, or in older engines. I feel it helps make a tighter ring seal which is why some people claim a smoother idle and more power. There's a lot of information in the fuel additive section with lots of anecdotal evidence, and some heated discussion. There have been discussions about MMO vs. TCW3 as well.

IMO MMO is a better cleaner than TCW3, however TCW3 might make for a better ring seal. Opinions vary.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You get lots of opinions with little facts unfortunately. I believe in using a UCL, especially in vehicles that sit for extended periods of time, or in older engines. I feel it helps make a tighter ring seal which is why some people claim a smoother idle and more power. There's a lot of information in the fuel additive section with lots of anecdotal evidence, and some heated discussion. There have been discussions about MMO vs. TCW3 as well.

IMO MMO is a better cleaner than TCW3, however TCW3 might make for a better ring seal. Opinions vary.

+1

Plus Id venture to guess that TCW3 is better for the emissions system.

Best value for 2cycle tcw3 is supertech. But when i dont feel like running to walmart the havoline at advance with discounts works out to about the same. I like using TCW3 or MMO in the winter due to the winter blend fuel.

For longevity? there are probably more high mileage cars that have never used these concoctions than ones that have used them.

MPG increase is outweighed by the cost of the additives..so its a false increase cost wise.

Originally Posted By: goixiz
I have been putting about 1oz of 2cycleoil for 5gal of gasoline both in my civic and my wrx and i am happy to get a slight improve gas milleage and quieter running engine. Once a quarter i run gumout and do a seafoam clean about a tank prior to oil change.

I finally ran out of the couple gallons of pennzoil 2 stroke marine oil. Im thinking of replacing it with similar or MMO or something of better value.

Can someone recommend what i should get

Goal is to have a longer and more efficient engine.

Thanks in advance

I would skip any additive in the gas. Not needed. Use Techron as per the directions. Could mess up sensor or cat.

Best would be to find E0 fuel.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Plus Id venture to guess that TCW3 is better for the emissions system.

It could very well be. Honestly I haven't lost a CC or any sensors yet using TCW3 or MMO, which I've used in the gas for decades now. I never gave it any thought, but you might have a point.

I think these products have more value in older engines with some ring wear, and that's where the excel. JMO

TCW3 really works well.

I used to use it every fillup but got tired of adding it.

I keep 2-3 oz. in old Gumout bottles and dump it in when filling up.

It really keeps your engine running smooth, and it is backed up with science as 2T engines rely solely on lube in the gas.

And for people that say 2oz isn't enough to "do anything" think of this: add 2oz of Dawn dish soap to a bathtub full of water.

Yes, it does help.

I should start adding it again...

Just don't use it in a DI engine, people find tailpipe soot.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestion and cautions
I think i will go to Wal mart and Get a GAL of TCW3 and MMO and mainly use TCW3 and once a while Ill throw in MMO {w/0 TCW3} (of the same amount).

I read and understand the "not needed" but i actually do experience the benefit so for a piece of mind i will continue TCW3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goixiz
Thanks for all the suggestion and cautions
I think i will go to Wal mart and Get a GAL of TCW3 and MMO and mainly use TCW3 and once a while Ill throw in MMO {w/0 TCW3} (of the same amount).

I read and understand the "not needed" but i actually do experience the benefit so for a piece of mind i will continue TCW3

The dosing for TCW3 and MMO is different. Typical TCW3 dosing is one ounce/5gallons of fuel. MMO is two ounces/5 gallons of fuel. MMO dosing is on the label, I think. TCW3 was established by people experimenting with it.

Wow bxct22, that's some pricey top-oil you got there. Do you have extra you are trying to get rid of?? Isn't that stuff something like $12-15+ per quart?

I got a bunch of quarts of Pennzoil TCW3 with my $5 off $5 O'Reilly coupons. Lately I have been adding 2 ounces of TCW3 and 1 ounce of MMO to each fill-up. Fill-ups are usually between 9 and 11 gallons. My last DEQ test had extremely low emissions.

I mix a blend of 16 ounces of tc-w3 and 16 ounces of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in an empty mmo quart bottle. I fill up empty gumout regane 6 ounce bottles of the blend and add the 6 ounces to each fillup of 15 gallons of gas at the pump. I've been doing this for quite some time with great results especially in the winter blend gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back