Dealer out WRONG oil brand in and likely too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my Corolla '13 to a dealer half way from home to my final destination 3 hours away. It's Toyota dealer service through and through. Never done business with them but nice big shop plenty Of bays. Etc
So I get done and driving half hour further I see first that the invoice lists 5 quarts of oil at $5.80 each.... Then I seen it says Penzoil PP Synthetic. I have never used it before and I assume it means pure platinum? Synthetic? I specifically thought and driected TGMO 0W-20. Dang it.

So is Penzoil PP an ok choice? And why the [censored] did I pay for 5 quarts when the car takes maybe 4.2 with filter change? Do I have a leg to stand on with this?

I've been running TGMO or Mobil 1 FuelEconomy.
Wondering if the additive pack will clash or is notably not as good.

Also, I bet when I check the level in the morning that it will be a quart overfilled. Then I have to decide I'd I want to crawl on a -5F concrete garage here at my hosts house to drain a quart
or take a chance on it slapping the crank for my 3 hour drive home.

Your thoughts?

Penzoil is a fine oil, I wouldn't sweat it. If you didn't specify what type of oil you wanted, not sure you can go back and make them switch it out. For sure, check the level but I expect they rounded up on the quarts for your invoice. Did the invoice say it was the correct weight for your car?

Pennzoil synthetic is a great oil, no worries.

Also, it is possible that the dealer's computer is not capable of pricing out oil in exact amounts, so anything between 4.1 and 5.0 quarts gets rung up as 5 quarts. Lame, but not the first I have seen.

If your Corolla takes about 4.25ish quarts with a filter change, 5 isn't enough of an overfill to cause damage.

I think Hollow is right in that they put 5 quarts on the receipt for billing purposes. Pennzoil synthetic is good stuff. I'd keep it in there if its what they really used. Also, with less than a quart overfilled I highly doubt it'll be enough to cause aeration.

I wouldn't worry about a thing. PP is an excellent oil that certainly meets the needs of your Toyota. At most places the price of an oil change includes up to 5 quarts of oil, whether your car uses all 5 quarts or not.

Clean oil is better than dirty oil
Some oil is better than no oil

So you got the most important things covered.

PP is good oil.

Aerated oil causes lifer noise, so are they quiet, If so then good to go.

you can always look at the dipstick and see if it is extra frothy. Bet it is ok. Bet that dealer has been using that amount of oil all the time and no one ever had a issue.

Rod

You're worried about PP in a Corolla? It's "overkill". My 4 cyl Camrys take 3.7 or so and I always put in 4 because that's what the jugs I buy of T6. . Shows up as a about an 1/8 over full on the stick. Been doing that for 300K in one Camry, so I can say it doesn't seem to hurt. Or, perhaps you "gifted" an oil change jockey a small amount of an oil he likes. I'll bet it adds up in a busy dealership, he/she probably has a jug somewhere for the leftovers.

Last edited:
The invoice says Synthetic Penziol PP 0W-20 so she's the right weight. That's the good news. The bad news is that the preliminary measurements I too with a half hour of sitting level parked at my hosts house garage is that she's 3/4 inch over full. And (maybe this is TOTALLY normal?...but, she showed some little littl bubbles in the clear golden oil on the dipstick, bad sign??). The corolla for some reason give about one good clean reading each day in the morning.

So I'll check it tomorrow. And debate whether half inch or three quarters or whole inch over is my threshold.

Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent oil, nothing to worry about there.

Any shop that uses bottled oil will bill for how many quarts they have to open...even if that means only using a small amount of the 5th quart.

If anything, I'd be [censored] they billed me for but didn't offer the remainder of that 5th quart.

Can you go to the store and buy .2 qt of oil? If you want the other .8 bring an empty jug because ours comes out of bulk. That's what I used to tell people. Customer service may not be my specialty!

Prescription for you: Find something in your life to really worry about. Everybody has something not so good. Could be a drunk uncle who stops by. Something. Not wishing anything bad on you, for heavens sake, just your oil change is not anything to worry about.

PP is great.

Even if they are 0.8 qt over (which I doubt) that still would not cause a frothing while the engine is running, trust me on that one. The 0.8qt is distributed throughout your engine not sitting full in the pan. That's just not that much extra oil. Now if it was 2 qts over or something crazy, then we would be talking.

Calm down. Relax. Or really change your own oil. Much more rewarding and adds a whole new set of worries to stress about.
grin2.gif
banana2.gif

Park the car engine hot and pull the dip stick so oil can drain out of the dip stick tube. Wait 5 - 10 minutes, then check the level. 3/8" over is ok IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

PP is great.

Even if they are 0.8 qt over (which I doubt) that still would not cause a frothing while the engine is running, trust me on that one. The 0.8qt is distributed throughout your engine not sitting full in the pan. That's just not that much extra oil. Now if it was 2 qts over or something crazy
grin2.gif
banana2.gif

Thanks Pablo! Usually do it myself, traveling during this OCI window.

Ok so to summarize.... if she's drained into the sump fully tomorrow morning and is an inch over full when cold (which would expand further when heated) tomorrow .... I'm still probably ok?

It will be perfectly fine overfilled only 3/4 a qt or so. once the engine is running and oil is being pumped through the engine your not going to have enough excess in the pan to cause windage unless you like spinning that corolla to 6k rpm constantly then you "may" get a tad of windage just like all engines without a screen get. Don't sweat the PP it has to be good it is practically worshiped on this site.

My Toyota dealer charges for 5 quarts indeed when the car only needs 4.4. It's a billing thing.

Also, your Corolla doesn't even need that (PP) good of an oil. That little 4 banger will run forever on just about anything.

My dealer does the same thing we charge for 5 quart oil change. It means up to 5 quarts you pay the advertised price of it requires more than 5 then you pay extra. And I don't want this to be taken the wrong way but a lot of people on here and in general want to find anything they can to be negative towards a dealer. There are bad ones but there are also good ones. If you are concerned check the oil and if it's full and good don't sweat it. If not call them and tell them about it calmly. They're people just like you. We all make mistakes. Could have just been a mistake.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My STEALER does the same thing we charge for 5 quart oil change. It means up to 5 quarts you pay the advertised price of it requires more than 5 then you pay extra. And I don't want this to be taken the wrong way but a lot of people on here and in general want to find anything they can to be negative towards a STEALER. There are bad ones but there are also good ones. If you are concerned check the oil and if it's full and good don't sweat it. If not call them and tell them about it calmly. They're people just like you. We all make mistakes. Could have just been a mistake.

Fixed.

Why? they will do anything to say it wasn't their fault and it was the owners fault no one else.

I speak from experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back