Amsoil SS 0w20, 23,780 miles, '08 Civic Hybrid116K

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post here on bitog, recommended by one of my best friends. Also first used oil analysis.

Have been using Amsoil SS since I got this car with 49K miles on it.
I have been changing the oil on average every 16,700 miles.
I change the oil filter with an Amsoil filter at 15K miles (or sooner if I plan to go past 20K) with about 0.3L of fresh oil.
Almost exclusively highway miles.

This oil change:
2008 Civic Hybrid with 116548 miles
Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20
Amosil Oil Filter EA15K13 - changed at 15,000 miles with 0.3L new oil
Added about another 0.4-0.5L of oil over the course of the run
Air filter overdue with same number of miles as the oil

08%20CIVIC%20HYBRID-021015_zpsecny75iz.jpg

Originally Posted By: Trav
Being a hybrid is there any way to tell just how many of those 23K miles are on gas engine exclusively?

I believe the ICE runs all the time; that is different than the prius

doublej9886, thanks for posting. Very nice numbers. I'm planning to start using amsoil oils @25000 miles OCI as soon as warranty expires on my prius. my wife puts 30000 miles on that thing a year, so i'm very close and a good candidate for extended OCIs. I'll use OEM filters though. BTW, no matter what hybrid, ICE always spins at hwy speeds.

Nice report...as they said, it thickened a little, but we don't see oils run that long much.

very nice results, about 1ppm iron per 1000 miles, which is better than the universal average on a per-mile basis.

This just kinda make me wonder how another reputable oil would do under the same circumstances(mileage, filter change and topoff oil etc.). For example:

Using a FRAM Ultra w/Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge or PenzPlat 0W20.

Hmmmmm!
smile.gif

Great job! The oil held up will. Some here would call you insane. LOL!

It barely thickened. The silicon doesn't even look that out of line for the mileage. It may be worth checking all the connections in the intake tract.

If you run it this long again, spring for a TAN. Call them, they still might have the sample.

It's also nice they told you what their Universal Averages are so you know exactly where you stand in that regard.

Do it again!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
This just kinda make me wonder how another reputable oil would do under the same circumstances(mileage, filter change and topoff oil etc.). For example:

Hmmmmm!
smile.gif

I wonder this as well.
Still, the guy did get his money out of the Amsoil and he has contributed a rare UOA of a really long run.

Hmmmmm!
smile.gif

there was a guy on priuschat who did multiple 25000 mile OCI with 0w20 mobil 1 (the AFE one i guess) with OEM filter on gen 2 prius. the UOA came back OK, but with very low TBN, near 0.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Hmmmmm!
smile.gif

I wonder this as well.
Still, the guy did get his money out of the Amsoil and he has contributed a rare UOA of a really long run.

Indeed!

My curiosity still stems with the use of other highly regarded synthetic oil(s) & filter as I mentioned!

Can syn oils such as M1, PP, CE w/FU filter, do the same/similar thing(similar UOA) under the same/similar circumstances!?

I'm willing to throw some money on the subject and say...YES!
laugh.gif
$$$......any takers?

JK
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Double. 25,000 miles is very impressive, although I am not surprised as it is a Honda engine and it is Amsoil SS oil, good combination. You could easily do more than 23,000 miles, try 30,000 miles with one filter change in there, as you are using the 15K13 filters. With a bypass setup you could probably run for 100,000 miles on the same oil since the car is used mostly highway.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
there was a guy on priuschat who did multiple 25000 mile OCI with 0w20 mobil 1 (the AFE one i guess) with OEM filter on gen 2 prius. the UOA came back OK, but with very low TBN, near 0.

What does Mobil 1 state for extended drain intervals for AFE? Amsoil states 25,000 miles on the bottle for good reason, it has excellent TBN retention.

Last edited:
Quote:
What does Mobil 1 state for extended drain intervals for AFE? Amsoil states 25,000 miles on the bottle for good reason, it has excellent TBN retention.

AFE is the same as the normal M1 of 10,000.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
What percent of PAO and what is TBN and calcium on AFE?

~30% PAO, the other stuff you'll probably need to find a VOA.

Thanks for all the great replies. Yea had no idea how my oil was doing until one of my buddies told me about this. Just trusted Amsoil I guess.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I'm planning to start using amsoil oils @25000 miles OCI as soon as warranty expires on my prius. my wife puts 30000 miles on that thing a year, so i'm very close and a good candidate for extended OCIs.

I've been starting to run longer into the 20K last couple changes as I put on about 30K a year the past two years also. Go for it friendly_jacek!

Originally Posted By: zpinch
You could easily do more than 23,000 miles, try 30,000 miles with one filter change in there, as you are using the 15K13 filters.

I might try 30K, we'll see!

Hmmmmm!
smile.gif

That would be interesting! I'll let someone else do all that work haha

It'll be interesting to see how the next one turns out, if and how it'll be different.

I'll have to send in my wife's 2010 Jeep Patriot eventually, but have a ways to go. Only 9K on the oil right now.

AFE still has a TBN of 8.0? Not much Calcium. Not much of anything really, at least not on a VOA. I wouldn't use it much more than 10k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back