Deep well owners?? Dirty water after 40 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a pretty deep water well at 980' or so. Static water line is around 630' and I believe the pump is set at around 840'. House water has been in use for approximately 40 days now. We are still getting very dirty water. After running the well for 12 hours out the hydrant, it clears up nicely but the dirt returns the following day. The driller is reputable and said it will clear up and he's confident nothing is wrong. He said this well gave them no issues but did not "Blow" well like a lot of other deep wells. He said due to not blowing well, he said it could take weeks to months to clear up completely. He said to run it via the hydrant everytime it gets dirty until it clears up.The well is into a highly producing aquifer, the biggest one around. The well is steel casing.

Does anyone have any insight on this matter? Thanks

If you don't have one already, i recommend a whole house filter. That debris will end up in the bottom of your water heater.

I did water well work right out of high school. I'd run the water as hard as is safe for the flow of the well. It will help wash out everything that got disturbd when the well was drilled. It can tiake quite a bit of time. It would depend on the rock that was drilled into and the depth.

If it clears like you say, you're getting close.

If the water tastes good, you can certainly use a sediment filter.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
I did water well work right out of high school. I'd run the water as hard as is safe for the flow of the well. It will help wash out everything that got disturbd when the well was drilled. It can tiake quite a bit of time. It would depend on the rock that was drilled into and the depth.

If it clears like you say, you're getting close.

If the water tastes good, you can certainly use a sediment filter.

It was sand and shale alternating the entire depth, according to the log. The well could be run straight for months its such a big aquifer. After running for 12 hours or so, the water is very clear and tastes great. Its after I shut off the hydrant for a day, it's gets dirty. If you fill the tub, you cant see the drain it's so dirty.

I just don't understand how it can get so dirty.

The well needs to rinse itself out, and being almost 1000 feet all the little veins and fissures that feed water in along the length have to work out all the debris it is a lot to do. Driling does change the regular movement of water thru the ground, and that adds to the sediment in the water as well. There's a ton of surface area in there to clean, it's kind of amazing. Shale can have some very fine particles that don't take much to make water look dirty and are slow to clear. Sand can also be persistant and show up now and then, even in an old well.

Could there be sediment behind some of the other valves in the house ? You may want to run from other places in the house too.

That was one of the hardest and most interesting jobs I've had.

One thing that can happen is that the casing for whatever reason did not get down to solid rock or the rock below the casing is allowing more groundwater. Not saying that is the case (it probably isn't) but it is a remote possibility.

Last edited:
I'm a visual learner so I'm having a difficult time understanding the entire well water drawing process. The water gets nice and clear when running the hydrant for 10 hours or so. After I shut it off, a day later we start to notice the water get dirty again. Am I better to run this thing straight for days or in segments? I just cant seem to grasp what is actually going on here.

It's a shame all this water is going to waste...

Im not understanding how if you have a sediment filter, the water coming into the home can be that dirty.

Id stock up on replacement filters on Amazon and ensure that the filter is operating properly...

The best thing would be to put a sediment filter before a very fine particulate filter.

Maybe it needs to sit for a while and settle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im not understanding how if you have a sediment filter, the water coming into the home can be that dirty.

Id stock up on replacement filters on Amazon and ensure that the filter is operating properly...

They suggested a larger 30 micron sediment filter until the majority of the water clears up. If I were to use a smaller micron rating the filters would clog in a few days. This was suggested by the driller. After it clears up, I can go to a smaller micron rated filter.

Install another filter housing beside the existing one and run 2 30 micron filters.
smile.gif

Once the well clears up, keep the first 30 micron filter installed then install a smaller micron filter. (Whatever that may be.)

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Install another filter housing beside the existing one and run 2 30 micron filters.
smile.gif

Once the well clears up, keep the first 30 micron filter installed then install a smaller micron filter. (Whatever that may be.)

+1 You can then put a chemical filter in the second spot.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
smile.gif

So if its opaque water in the tub, then obviously 30um is not really doing it. So Id remove it or stock up. I agree it will get clogged fast, but youre wasting something or something else. The water is likely cheaper, but Id hate to get too much fine silt lining my pipes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back