Fumoto drain valve particles left

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of getting one of these valve on my car but then I see a lot of people complaining that it leaves some oil and particles behind with the last bit of oil.

Also the slower draining rate.

What are your thoughts?

I personally never saw the need for one..though I hear mainly good things about them. I change my oil twice a year, sometimes 3 times but I dont find a need for a fumoto. Again, someone might point out a benefit that might be useful to you or their experiences with one.

I have had them on my vehicles for years and never experienced a problem. I drive around a bit to get the oil nice and hot and the oil drains right out. It is a bit slower than pulling the drain plug, but I drain the oil directly into a container for recycling -- no mess. For our vehicles, the Fumoto valve really works great. I also like the new plastic clip they are offering (as an added safety measure).

I like having the ability to put a tube on the end of the valve to drain the oil directly down into a jug or the hole in the drain pan. Clean even in high wind.

I only change filters every other change so it makes things easy.

It does drain slower, but I am usually ready for a beverage so no hurry.

By the way, only the Tacoma has one. The oil pan sits too low for comfort to mount a Fumoto on the Sienna. Need to eyeball clearances.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I have tnem on both vehicles and have had no problems at all.

Where did you buy yours from? Canuck here

Originally Posted By: Stewie

In my experience, I like them. I'm messy when I change oil, and they save a mess. Also, I find that in my applications, the use of the Fumoto doesn't leave a "pool" of oil behind. That may not be the case in every application.

As for availability, where in Canada are you? I get mine from Maxim Truck & Trailer.

Someone here took his fumoto valve off after draining through the valve and said there was barely anything left behind.

Obviously some oil pans are positioned better to get all of the oil out more than others. I use ramps to angle my pan even higher and it gets everything out. You can drive either end of the car up the ramps depending on the position of the plug.

Have them on all my vehicles, great item!

I was thinking, has anyone ever put one on a dirt bike? I have a Yamaha and the oil plug is well protected from a skid plate.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Someone here took his fumoto valve off after draining through the valve and said there was barely anything left behind.

I've done that and that's been my experience. Obviously, I can't speak for every pan geometry out there.

Had one on my Toyota Land Cruiser.

Wasn't thrilled with it.

It was slow to drain the Land Cruiser's 8 quarts.

Additionally, the last few ounces of oil in the pan would not drain.

I kept it on the Land Cruiser for just a single OCI.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Had one on my Toyota Land Cruiser.

Wasn't thrilled with it.

It was slow to drain the Land Cruiser's 8 quarts.

Additionally, the last few ounces of oil in the pan would not drain.

I kept it on the Land Cruiser for just a single OCI.

This is what im talking about :S

Originally Posted By: Stewie
I have tnem on both vehicles and have had no problems at all.

I got mine from this place: http://www.qwikvalve.com/
$10 Shipping :S

Last edited:
Takes too long with 8qts? I drain 14 and yes it takes awhile, but not having a mess, and being able to sample makes it worth it. As long as some [censored] doesn't pop it open while I'm in the store, I'll remain happy with it
smile.gif

I just put one on my Sable last OC, so i can't comment on drain slowness just yet.

what i can say, I had let it drip for a while, and the drops had pretty much stopped before i threaded the valve in. as soon as it was tight, i opened the valve, and i got a decent stream out for another few seconds.

I see people make statements about "complete draining" alot, so let's break a little news here.

First of all, most vehicles do not have the drain plug in a position to completely drain the oil pan. I have removed plenty, after allowing the pan to drain for an hour or more while I was doing something else, to find that there were still several ounces left over in the pan. The necessity for reinforcement around the thread area means that most pan's drain holes are slightly above the floor of the oil pan.

If your engine has an oil cooler, you have no chance at getting a complete drain, either.

I have EZ valves on my vehicles, and love them to death.

There's nothing I dislike about changing oil more than that point where the drain plug is about to release, and the oil just starts gushing out onto my (gloved) hand. With my valves, I just connect a hose down into my 58 quart oil pan, and let it go. There's nothing to clean up. Makes gathering UOA oil a lot easier as well.

I drain 3 gallons out of my Ram, and it doesn't take very long at all. I don't have to monitor it, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back