Detroit Series 60 Motor Oil Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been recently been looking to buy a semi truck to run Team with my brother, but it appears my brother wants to drive local before he retires in a few years. So I'm buying a truck and running solo. The engine I'm planning on buying a remanufactured 1998 pre-egr motor and running Regionally, no California, N.J., etc.

For years, all I've ran is either Delo 400 or Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40, but I see there are other options in syn-blends, full synthetic, 10w30, 5w40, etc.

I'm not in the position to buy bulk in 55 gallon drums, I have a local Diesel Shop that will do my pm's when I'm in town, but should the need arise I may need to have a pm done on the road. Therefore, I'd like to stick to the 3 major brands, Rotella. Delvac, or Delo as all 3 are readily available.

From looking at the Series 60's manual, 5w40 offers the best range of protection, cold weather startup, etc, and Rotella T6 5w40 is the brand I see most often in Truck Stops. I will however, have to factor in overall cost when it comes to synthetic vs conventional, to decide which weight and type oil I end up using.

So all advice will greatly be appreciated.

Will do. I'm hoping he does chime in, along with a few more, including Doug Hillary and Dnewton. There are some very educated folks here.

Now you're asking for the Holy Grail! LOL! That would be great but they don't post much.

I think TT is using 10W-30 from Schaeffer.

Originally Posted By: Dak27
Will do. I'm hoping he does chime in, along with a few more, including Doug Hillary and Dnewton. There are some very educated folks here.

Hi,
Dak27 - After much field testing for myself, Oil Companies, and various Fleets, I settled on Delvac 1 5W-40 in my Series 60 engined Fleet

It was a very beneficial choice - but use UOAs to determine your OCIs

Series 60 engines are not picky what they use, we have two both pre-egr that see 138,000lb gross loads on a regular bases and use anything from JD Plus 50 II to the local CO-OP brand oil.

Stick with one of the "big three" that's the most cost effective and you'll be just fine, don't over think this, that 60 will out live you.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Dak27 - After much field testing for myself, Oil Companies, and various Fleets, I settled on Delvac 1 5W-40 in my Series 60 engined Fleet

Thanks, Doug! I really appreciate your info. If the cost of me using Delvac 1 5w40 can fit into my One-Man-Operation Budget, that's the route I'll go, along with UOA's.

Originally Posted By: daman
Series 60 engines are not picky what they use, we have two both pre-egr that see 138,000lb gross loads on a regular bases and use anything from JD Plus 50 II to the local CO-OP brand oil.

Stick with one of the "big three" that's the most cost effective and you'll be just fine, don't over think this, that 60 will out live you.

Thanks daman! I'm glad to hear the 60's not picky when it comes to oil. I've always liked running one, and I've had a lot of mechanics recommend them. Not a big pulling monster like a Cat, but decent mpg, reliability, and parts are generally easy to find. Take care! Dak

Originally Posted By: Dak27
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Thanks, Doug! I really appreciate your info. If the cost of me using Delvac 1 5w40 can fit into my One-Man-Operation Budget, that's the route I'll go, along with UOA's.

like I said these engines are not picky on oil, a 5w40 is not needed by any means, ours survive fine in cold MI weather. You starting out in this field will quickly learn that wasting revenue will put you out of business quick.

Good luck my friend
smile.gif

I use Schaeffer 7000 15w40 blend in my remanned Series 60. If I was having to use a shop and their oil, I would be quite comfortable with Delvac 1300 15w40 or even the new Delvac 10w30 blend that some shops are now carrying. The Series 60 will give long life on a 15w40 conventional. Even stretching the drains a little. It is other things that need watched for. Like, I run the overhead adjustments every 120K miles, change out the crankcase damper at 500K miles, and do the bull gear at 800K miles. I don't wait for damage to occur. It is the same idea behind aircraft components changed on predictable life cycles. Detroit, at least in the U.S., recommended the damper be changed at 500K and the bull gear be changed at 800K. Based on what I have seen over the years, I take that advise to heart. The Series 60 is a real stand up motor. It will give you long life and excellent service if you treat it right.

oldmoparguy1, Thanks for posting the Fitzgerald video, very cool! I did order a Glider, however, from a different place. I'm pretty excited for it to be finished and to get started in it.

Tired Trucker, thanks so much for posting. I've read about the Bull Gear, and I really appreciate you letting me know the mileage when to get that done. In my area Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 is a little cheaper than Delo or Rotella, so that's what I plan to use. That's what the company I currently work for uses in their DD15's and Cummins ISX motors. They have all the 2010 and newer tractors on 50,000 OCI's. I've looked at the heads on a few DD15's in for Service, and all have been spotless, so I feel really confident going with Delvac. Although I don't doubt that the same results would be had using Rotella or Delo.

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies. I'm very excited to get my truck and get started. It should be ready by May this year.

Best regards, Dak

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
Would there be any advantage to using Mobil MX 15W40 or SHC 5W40
in an application like this?

SHC 5W40 is a high ash MB228.5 oil. The Series 60, being an American designed engine is designed for mid ash oils such as the "regular" Delvac 1 5W40, with 1.35% ash. I think 1.9% like in the SHC would be too high. Unless one were travelling in a country with high sulfur fuel.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back